ZHL Black Pearl Golden Version by rickyboy66

If you are going to install lights (well worth the effort) and you haven't assembled the frames yet work out where the wires are going and drill the holes now it's will save you a lot of time later. Check my Black Pearl log for further details.
I have a few questions where are locating the the battery/switch box and i already glued my bulkheads but I can still drill my holes in them without to much trouble. Maybe I've seen the battery before but don't remember what it looks like, my plan is to wire the three lights on the stern and one in the captains quarters but I don't know how to attach them and how to run them.(I'm not mr. electrician) Also I found some walnut decking that is 1.5 mm×5mm×36mm on the site woodenmodelkits.com although regular walnut can vary in color it was fairly cheap but the shipping was like 40.00 oh well I want what I want, like I said before you guys seem to be able to work with the 0.5 mm but I can't. I was looking at your log and all I can say is WOW. In one of our conversations I called you Jeff must have been confused with another conversation. As soon as the deck material arrives I can start working on that.

I have a few questions where are locating the the battery/switch box and i already glued my bulkheads but I can still drill my holes in them without to much trouble. Maybe I've seen the battery before but don't remember what it looks like, my plan is to wire the three lights on the stern and one in the captains quarters but I don't know how to attach them and how to run them.(I'm not mr. electrician) Also I found some walnut decking that is 1.5 mm×5mm×36mm on the site woodenmodelkits.com although regular walnut can vary in color it was fairly cheap but the shipping was like 40.00 oh well I want what I want, like I said before you guys seem to be able to work with the 0.5 mm but I can't. I was looking at your log and all I can say is WOW. In one of our conversations I called you Jeff must have been confused with another conversation. As soon as the deck material arrives I can start working on that.
Hi Rick, hope I've got your name right. The battery box is small round black with 2 wires made for a button cell. If you are using this you do not need resistors just wire the LEDs + to + . I made a test circuit before drilling any holes in my model. I found more lights are better than less, I finished up with 17. My BP is powered from a USB socket, as I didn't want wires coming out the hull I fitted 2 copper contacts under the keel.
Jeff T has also build an excellent Black Pearl his log is well worth a look for more ideas and tips.
Tony

Hi Rick. Just found your log. As others have advised, take a look at other BP builds here on SOS. Also note there are a number of different models of the BP. It looks like you have the “Golden” version. If you run into a issue, don’t hesitate to ask for advise from those that have already built the BP.

Thanks Jeff that's exactly what I'm doing a lot of the build logs are absolutely amazing, the skill level makes me wonder if I'm out of my league but I'll do my best and learn along the way and ask for a lot of help and questions and questions..............
Hi Jeff, I have a few questions about wiring the lights and where to put the switch box, being my first build i just want to put the 3 on the stern and 1 in the captain's quarters, i have several lights and a bundle of copper wire as well as the switch box but I have no idea how to connect everything, I saw your plan for the wires back of the stern with the grooves for the wire and I had the same plan even before I saw them on your log, also dumb question what does the battery look like I've probably seen them before but I just don't remember. I need to start looking at the logs before doing stuff you mentioned the bow supports i did make them exactly the same so since I can't take it apart I'll use it on the other side and use it the best I can. I can see I'm going to have to sand back part of it so the plank go where it's supposed to. Sometimes this stuff gets overwhelming deck is on and I forgot to lay out my center lines. :(

Hi Jeff, I have a few questions about wiring the lights and where to put the switch box, being my first build i just want to put the 3 on the stern and 1 in the captain's quarters, i have several lights and a bundle of copper wire as well as the switch box but I have no idea how to connect everything, I saw your plan for the wires back of the stern with the grooves for the wire and I had the same plan even before I saw them on your log, also dumb question what does the battery look like I've probably seen them before but I just don't remember. I need to start looking at the logs before doing stuff you mentioned the bow supports i did make them exactly the same so since I can't take it apart I'll use it on the other side and use it the best I can. I can see I'm going to have to sand back part of it so the plank go where it's supposed to. Sometimes this stuff gets overwhelming deck is on and I forgot to lay out my center lines. :(
My model came with a battery holder that uses flat/disc batteries. It has an on off switch. Very simple. I replaced the supplied LEDs with smaller yellow LEDs and I attached all LEDs in parallel. The only real concern is that the LEDs have a polarity so the positive must be connected to positive and negative to negative. There is usually some indication of the polarity on the LEDs, for example one lead is shorter that the other (the case with the large LEDs supplied) or one is silver and the other is gold colored (the case with the ones I used). There is some requirement that the proper voltage is used as well. Resistors may be required. It would depend on your power source and the LEDs used. Because of the small LEDs I selected, I only used one battery in the supplied case which holds two batteries. One thing I would suggest is to use very small gauge wire. I used too large of wire for most of my build. I did find some smaller wire to run up the stern, however.

As far as the build goes. I would suggest always reading multiple steps ahead and to go slow, thinking out each step and how it might affect another step further in the build. We all make mistakes that in hindsight seem dumb or "what was I thinking?", but there is typically a way to correct just about any mistake.

Rick, I decided to dispense with the supplied electrical equipment. I purchased different stuff from Evansdesigns.com. They were very helpful and I was able to save a lot of space. The BP was also my first completed build. I made plenty of mistakes, but I learned so much from doing it. The best part was it was given to someone who wouldn’t know I had made the mistakes and that it was an imaginary ship anyway so no one could tell me I was wrong! And some of us have links to our builds in our signature blocks. Just click on them. I’ll be following your build.

That's funny I wasn't sure after looking at some of wiring and lights and how to run them, so when I google it I went to Evansdesigns the yellow pico lights I can run 4 lights off one power switch, I know some guys go crazy but I'm just doing the 3 stern lights and 1 in the captain's quarters, that leads me to question what do you do with the power switch and what is your signature block I was just going the search block at punching in BP and that was giving me some logs but I would be interested in yours, I don't know about you but after looking at skill level a lot of guys have it gets a bit overwhelming, I appreciate your help.I guess I would say that the planking is going to be my biggest challenge. I have a little help because I first purchased a offshoot of BP on Wish after receiving it I realized why it was only 100.00 so after spending frustrating time and realizing that I could never finish the build do to all the missing parts and very little plans, I bought the latest gold version from Max at ZHL and what a difference. So I have the old model to practice the planking on but would very much appreciate your advice on the tapering aspect as well as the way to do the first strakes from the bottom I think they are called Garber strakes. That's enough questions for now. Thanks Rick

If you are going to install lights (well worth the effort) and you haven't assembled the frames yet work out where the wires are going and drill the holes now it's will save you a lot of time later. Check my Black Pearl log for further details.
How do we see your log Tony ? I quite fancy building this kit. I was looking at the Bluenose but think that might be a step to far for me at the moment.

If you are using a phone, turn it sideways and look under “Vic.” It will show completed builds and current builds. The colored names are linked to the build logs. Maybe not everyone has linked their builds or know how to. On a computer, you will automatically see the signature block. I’ve looked at all the examples of planking. Some are helpful and some are just too complicated. In my current build, Le Soleil Royal, I’ve tried my hand at tapering, but I didn’t do more than tapering them to half as wide at the fore ends. Some rabbit the aft deadwood. I tried that too, but, again, I’m not a fanatic about it. Just learning as I go. Practice with the first layer of planking. You’ll putty and sand it anyway.

The garbard plank is relatively straight. It twists a little fore and aft. In my SR build, I had some ideas presented to me. I’ve also researched others. During the second planking, you may consider “stealers.” Look them up when you have the time. I also subscribed to the online guide, “A Practical Couse in Wooden Boat and Ship Building.” It was well worth the money. Finally, Olha Batcharov has some great online video tutorials. When it comes to rigging, I found Donnie’s videos helpful.

How do we see your log Tony ? I quite fancy building this kit. I was looking at the Bluenose but think that might be a step to far for me at the moment.
Hi Jimbo there my link on the previous page Rick asked me the same question, or an easier way to see all the Black Pearl logs is to click the box near the top of this page under Ricky's title. You'll see three boxes black pearl, ZHL and golden version all these boxes will take you to all the logs with those words in there titles. Hope this helps.
Tony

Waiting for my new deck material and my lights, so I thought I would do little planking practice on my first ship I think it will give me a chance to see where I go wrong so when it counts I think things will go more smoothly. 20220211_191229.jpg20220211_191120.jpg

Is that because it will blend in and not be bump, i was also thinking it might be a little high because I have a hollow spot near the end of the stern.

Yes. It needs to be flush with the keel, so yo cut out some of the wood. The deadwood is the space on the keel behind the last rib. I used a sharp chisel and Exacto knife to cut out some of the wood.

Back