ZHL Black Pearl Golden Version by rickyboy66

If I'm going to stain my deck and my hull should I stain it before I glue it down or after, I thought I read something to do with the glue but don't remember what it was, sure would be a lot easier after I glued it down.
On my BP I stained the deck after installing it but before the hull planking was done. Take Vic's advice try lots of colours (off the ship) and go with the one you prefer, as it's a fictional ship there's no wrong choice.

Looking at your build pics I noticed that none of your planks appear to have no tapering at least going to the stern post or am I just not seeing it?

Thanks Vick, have a good night.
Looking at your build pics it appears that none of your planks do not appear to be tapered going to the stern post am I seeing that correctly, it becomes a bit confusing i know there is a lot of different methods to approach them one of the examples i was using was saying was your wale plank has no taper also the next one that is placed about half way down the hull either as well as the garbour pank that now divides your your planking into two sections thus being able to figure out how many planks you need for each section but all these planks will require some degree of tapering. As someone commented to pick one plan and stick with that one, although I haven't started the planking on my real BP I'm trying to make the planking project as easy as possible.

Looking at your build pics it appears that none of your planks do not appear to be tapered going to the stern post am I seeing that correctly, it becomes a bit confusing i know there is a lot of different methods to approach them one of the examples i was using was saying was your wale plank has no taper also the next one that is placed about half way down the hull either as well as the garbour pank that now divides your your planking into two sections thus being able to figure out how many planks you need for each section but all these planks will require some degree of tapering. As someone commented to pick one plan and stick with that one, although I haven't started the planking on my real BP I'm trying to make the planking project as easy as possible.
Mine don't taper at the stern. Only in front. The stern tends to widen a bit, so I put in stealers where needed.

Great, thanks that should make it a lot easier to use stealers instead of doing more tapering then I'm assuming on the second planking I can follow the same process which will make that a lot more simple also.

So you are saying I can do the first planking the same as you did but my second planking will need to be tapered wherever it is necessary.

So you are saying I can do the first planking the same as you did but my second planking will need to be tapered wherever it is necessary.
Actually, what I'm saying is that it's your model. Enjoy the experience. This is my third model, and I'm still learning. On the Soleil Royal, I attempted to taper toward the bow. I'm not fully satisfied with the result. One source suggests never to taper more than half the width of the plank. I've never needed to taper the rear. There might be certain ships or boats where you would have to. I've learned a lot on this forum and by watching some videos at http://www.shipmodeling.ca/aaplandusite.html.

While I'm waiting for the rest of my lights from Evans Design I thought i would start planking the fore and main deck, I'll tell you this 1mm decking is a pleasure to work with compared to the 0.5 mm I'm not worried about it splintering when I cut out the grating openings, as soon as my lights arrive I an wire all 21 lights then I can fit and install the side panels then what ever fun stuff comes next. 20220223_192825.jpg20220223_191421.jpg

So the fore deck didn't go as planned although I had tested the stain i wanted to use on a couple of single planks before putting them down when I started to stain the planks it was coming out blotchy and ugly so I stopped and thought about how remedy the problem so I found some vids using acrylic paint using baby wipes to thin the paint that didn't work either because it wasn't covering up the funky stain job I had partially started so now I'm scrambling for a solution, only things I could do was paint it with several coats of the acrylic paint and make plank lines, you can see a little of the ugly stain on the start of the main deck, so now I will have to make plank lines on the rest of the deck I wasn't super thrilled with the end result but I think it will look ok when I'm done. Hopefully this will help someone who runs into this problem my first mistake was using beech wood on the deck, i would have used oak but couldn't find any strip size that I needed. So now that I have given you guys a long enough book to read on small challenge I'll need a steady hand and a lot of patience to layout all the plank lines i broke the main deck into three sections and the stern into two hopefully that will make it a bit easier. 20220301_191338.jpg

Back