YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I saw friend at the USNA workshop last week who has been working on the fishing schooner "Smuggler" for the last few years. ( a Bluejacket kit from Maine). They are about the last place you can still get "Silkspan", a cloth/tissue paper hybrid, originally developed for flying model airplanes. He bought some( it comes in fairly large pieces) cut out his sails and carried them around in his pocket for awhile crumpling and re-crumpling them in his hand until they became quite soft and pliable, then used them for his furled sails. Came out quite well at 1/4"=1' scale. I didn't ask if he made the sails full or reduced size. For the furled sail on the Britannia I used light weight muslin fabric reduced size by about 3/4. I could be happier. You gave yours a lot more thought and imagination.
For 1:192 (1/16" ) scale I used beige shoebox tissue. I used matt acrylic varnish to shape them. Very delicate and fragile papier mache almost, then allowed to dry thoroughly.Then dry brushed with antique white acrylic after being mounted in place. On the Completed models forum see Miniature Baltimore Clipper and Harriet Lane. Harriet lane is actually 3/32" now that I think of it. Made no difference.
Thanks for all the techniques to mull over. Your work is humbling!

Pete

I saw friend at the USNA workshop last week who has been working on the fishing schooner "Smuggler" for the last few years. ( a Bluejacket kit from Maine). They are about the last place you can still get "Silkspan", a cloth/tissue paper hybrid, originally developed for flying model airplanes. He bought some( it comes in fairly large pieces) cut out his sails and carried them around in his pocket for awhile crumpling and re-crumpling them in his hand until they became quite soft and pliable, then used them for his furled sails. Came out quite well at 1/4"=1' scale. I didn't ask if he made the sails full or reduced size. For the furled sail on the Britannia I used light weight muslin fabric reduced size by about 3/4. I could be happier. You gave yours a lot more thought and imagination.
For 1:192 (1/16" ) scale I used beige shoebox tissue. I used matt acrylic varnish to shape them. Very delicate and fragile papier mache almost, then allowed to dry thoroughly.Then dry brushed with antique white acrylic after being mounted in place. On the Completed models forum see Miniature Baltimore Clipper and Harriet Lane. Harriet lane is actually 3/32" now that I think of it. Made no difference.
Thanks for all the techniques to mull over. Your work is humbling!

Pete
Thank you for your compliments and substantive response, Pete. I know the silkspan but it was not useful for my 1:72 BN. I think the shoe-box tissue is a bit the same as the Japanese 18 gram Tengujo. But here in the Netherlands most of the time the shoe-box tissue is printed. Of course I can always ask a company in question if they would like to sponsor me with their logo in my sails. :)
Regards, Peter

Peter,
I was cleaning out a closet for my mom many years ago in preparation for her to move to assisted living in Florida. (She lived to 98. She'd be 103 by now) and found several empty shoe boxes with this wonderful beige color tissue. There was a lot of it. I immediately grasped the possibilities, flattened it out ,put it in a large manilla envelope, brought it home to Maryland, put it in my stash, and when I built my miniature Baltimore Clipper, it's raison d'etre immediately became apparent. And ,after some experimentation, Voila! scale furled sails! Once again: "Better to be lucky than good!":p

Pete

Peter,
I was cleaning out a closet for my mom many years ago in preparation for her to move to assisted living in Florida. (She lived to 98. She'd be 103 by now) and found several empty shoe boxes with this wonderful beige color tissue. There was a lot of it. I immediately grasped the possibilities, flattened it out ,put it in a large manilla envelope, brought it home to Maryland, put it in my stash, and when I built my miniature Baltimore Clipper, it's raison d'etre immediately became apparent. And ,after some experimentation, Voila! scale furled sails! Once again: "Better to be lucky than good!":p

Pete
What a nice story about your lovely mom, collecting those boxes for you ……….
I have also some boxes with items ‘you never know when you might use them’.
And at the Lee and BN I made grateful use of that.
Of course I made that clear to my Admiral. Because every now and then she comes across those boxes and then keeps asking 'What are you going to do with that?'. 'You never know .......'
Regards, Peter

My collection of squirreled away stuff has accreted in my basement workshop, where the Admiral never ventures, like detritus washed up on the lee shore, waiting for the beach combers, wreck pickers and seagulls to pick over it once I'm rotting on the beach.:rolleyes:

Pete
A long-dead well-respected academic I once knew in the railroadiana collecting hobby, when asked what would become of all his lifetime-hoarded treasure replied that his widow and her next husband will use it as fuel for his funeral pyre.

John Cannon built not just one, but three Robt. E Lees as well as the eponymous John W. Cannon among many other riverboats. As elaborate and expensive to build as they were, the average life span of one of these enormously complex and grandiose Victorian floating palaces was, so I have been told, all of seven to ten years.Sick

My collection of squirreled away stuff has accreted in my basement workshop, where the Admiral never ventures, like detritus washed up on the lee shore, waiting for the beach combers, wreck pickers and seagulls to pick over it once I'm rotting on the beach.:rolleyes:

Pete
A long-dead well-respected academic I once knew in the railroadiana collecting hobby, when asked what would become of all his lifetime-hoarded treasure replied that his widow and her next husband will use it as fuel for his funeral pyre.
I hope to get rid of all my stuff before they get rid of me …….. ;)

John Cannon built not just one, but three Robt. E Lees as well as the eponymous John W. Cannon among many other riverboats. As elaborate and expensive to build as they were, the average life span of one of these enormously complex and grandiose Victorian floating palaces was, so I have been told, all of seven to ten years.Sick
Then I was quit average with my build during the 2 periods.
Regards, Peter

FINISH:
Before I give the BN her place in the showcase, I first added some attributes:

The 3 different 'regular 2021' 10-cent coins I received from SoS member Rich @PT-2:
43 3x10.jpg
Special: All three sails are polished to a shine. On the right a special edition with the water as blue foil.

The '2021 Mint Proof Silver Dollars 100th Anniversary of Bluenose':
44 1 dollar.jpg
Special: the 'Matted Sails'.

The '2021 Fine Silver Proof Set 100th Anniversary of Bluenose':
45 set.jpg
Special: Dollar with Gold Plated Sails, 10-cents with Matted Sails.
PS: Thanks again Reg @RegG helping with the purchase.:)

The BN enclosed with the showcase:
46 Zonder.jpg
With normal daylight.

With the LED lighting:
47 LED.jpg
But hopefully that will show up better when it gets dark. So there's another update later .....

With LED and spotlights from above:
48 Dubbel.jpg
So many different forms of presentation.

Can I always look at her from behind my iMac:
49 View.jpg
But maybe she will still be in the living room.......
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back