Young America 1853 1:72

I am not so sure, that drilling these bolt holes with a drilling template is a good idea
looking at the result the drilled holes are slightly at the wrong place or misalligned

20231107_165653.jpg

I marked with red dotts, where the holes should be
The upper one is too close to the joint between the two half frames (one half frame is thinner than the other one, so therefore the hole should be a the center of the half frame
The other hole is to much at the center line of the keel so should be moved slightly to the left
I think, that such work is better and easier to control, when you see where your drill is

It is just a personal subjective suggestion by myself........

I am not so sure, that drilling these bolt holes with a drilling template is a good idea
looking at the result the drilled holes are slightly at the wrong place or misalligned

View attachment 405479

I marked with red dotts, where the holes should be
The upper one is too close to the joint between the two half frames (one half frame is thinner than the other one, so therefore the hole should be a the center of the half frame
The other hole is to much at the center line of the keel so should be moved slightly to the left
I think, that such work is better and easier to control, when you see where your drill is

It is just a personal subjective suggestion by myself........
Thanks for your attention. Yes, I have to be careful how the drill template fits. Will probably make it tighter. But now no major damage has been done. For one thing, there are a few margins to use and then it probably looks worse in the photo than in reality. Then the keelson will cover it all.

You may find that a simple flat brass or steel template would work better. Its possible that your drill could wander slightly insider the rather tall plastic one, and that would presumably get worse with more use as the plastic wears.

We all know this feeling of creating the frames and installing them in such quantity that the hull of the ship is reflected from it, it is a feeling of satisfaction and pleasure. :)
The frames you created look great and the installation work is very accurateOkayThumbs-Up
Thanks, I'm glad to hear!

Back