Young America 1853 1:72

Here I have glued the joint. The hole in the middle must be plugged with a suitable piece of wood. This locks the joint on the full scale ship. Here it is more visual.

How can it be visual if you do not see it? It's a wonderful detail but you will only see it on a picture after glueing the false keel and the rising wood to the keel.

The working jig is well prepared - and is looking very good
A good preparation will reduce later on the problems

Maybe it would be good to press the keel not against the screws - maybe you add there some small sheets of wood between keel and the screw - not to damage the keel by small vibrations and movement during the next months

20230719_154558.jpg

Now the keel is laid and mounted on the bed. Now it is my duty to inform the Admiral that this stage has been reached. Time to celebrate with a beer or maybe a glass of sparkling wine.View attachment 385578View attachment 385579
I was not visiting your build-log, Ornholt. But what I see is very interesting. And the scratch build of a clipper is always interesting.
Sit on my chair to follow!
Regards, Peter

The working jig is well prepared - and is looking very good
A good preparation will reduce later on the problems

Maybe it would be good to press the keel not against the screws - maybe you add there some small sheets of wood between keel and the screw - not to damage the keel by small vibrations and movement during the next months

View attachment 385641
It's already arranged. It was not included in the first photo as they were not finished in the 3-d printer.20230720_095222.jpg

Hello Ornhold,
I just now came across your great construction report. Fantastic to see Young America here on SOS. I only know Ed's build so far and I agree his books and drawings are very good. You're off to a good start, your jig looks perfect and so does the pear wood you're using. As far as the glue for sticking paper is concerned, Paul and Uwe can only agree, I also use the Fixo GUM and it is really excellent. I'll definitely keep at it.

Hello Ornhold,
I just now came across your great construction report. Fantastic to see Young America here on SOS. I only know Ed's build so far and I agree his books and drawings are very good. You're off to a good start, your jig looks perfect and so does the pear wood you're using. As far as the glue for sticking paper is concerned, Paul and Uwe can only agree, I also use the Fixo GUM and it is really excellent. I'll definitely keep at it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try Fixo Gum. See that it is available to order on Amazon.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try Fixo Gum. See that it is available to order on Amazon.
I also ordered it from Amazon, here is the link.

Marabu 29010010000 - Fixogum 50 g, elastischer Klebstoff für grafischen Bereich und Hobby, wieder ablösbar, säurefrei, für Papier, Kunststofffolie und andere biegsame Materialien https://amzn.eu/d/1jPjRgX

Its messier than glue stick and has quite an alarming smell - but it performs. I'm sure you will be happy.
Paul, I don't know what kind of (poisonous ;)) stuff you get in the States, it's almost odorless and almost transparent here.

Back