VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Heinrich,
I see you are planning a build of the Willem Barentsz in the future. I was looking to find any literature/documentation of the journeys. I am currently reading Dutch East India Shipbuilding and wonder if you had any suggestions as to where I might find additional literature. Of course English is my only language so I’m somewhat limited there.:(

Thanks,
Ron
I do have a pdf of the original log about the fatal journey of Willem Barentsz and his crew - written down by the ship's carpenter Gerrit de Veer. It is written in old Dutch, but with a good translation tool (like deepl.com) it can be transformed into understandable english.
Please send me a PM if you are interested

I put her on her oak stand tonight in preparation for her imminent transport. Tomorrow when the glue on the little pedestals are properly dry, I will treat the stand with Tung Oil.

微信图片_20211123204030.jpg

微信图片_20211123205104.jpg

微信图片_20211123205228.jpg

微信图片_20211123205526.jpg

These will be the last pictures of the Haarlem for quite a while.

Thank you very much Ron. I appreciate your very kind comments.

You give her a solid base, she will appreciate that, Heinrich. And the ornaments gives her style!
Regards, Peter
Her base is solid. She can enjoy her winter sleep. On the other hand, the WB will not be so lucky. (By the way, tonight we are at 5 degrees Celcius so the temps are dropping fast.)

Her base is solid. She can enjoy her winter sleep. On the other hand, the WB will not be so lucky. (By the way, tonight we are at 5 degrees Celcius so the temps are dropping fast.)
Ahh Heinrich. I am sad to see her packed away. Those are brilliant pics of your ship. She is amazing. Don’t want to make you jealous but we are having 26 degrees and summer in Melkbosstrand is here:D:D:D:D:D. A bit windy tho although “King of the air” kiteboarding was awesome this weekend.

Thank you so much Grant! Believe me my friend, I am jealous already. With that weather I can just imagine sitting on Orca's stoep and having a Calamari steak or the catch of the day. And now that I mentioned that - man what I wouldn't give for a snoek braai. :rolleyes:

snoek-braai-small01.png

Just like that ... marinated with apricot jam and lemon sauce and barbecued - one side on tinfoil!

Thank you so much Grant! Believe me my friend, I am jealous already. With that weather I can just imagine sitting on Orca's stoep and having a Calamari steak or the catch of the day. And now that I mentioned that - man what I wouldn't give for a snoek braai. :rolleyes:

View attachment 271096

Just like that ... marinated with apricot jam and lemon sauce and barbecued - one side on tinfoil!

Heinrich, I am debating what do I like more, the ship or the fish :) . That fish looks amazing too :) .

After a lot of thought, the ship is a winner !!!!. Nice job !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

View attachment 271096

Oh, now I am hungry!!!! :D Rich

Thank you Rich! I can assure you - no coffin. She will be hand-held in the car!

Back