VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Dear Richie. Thank you so much for the kind words. You know, it's funny about the colors - in all honesty, I do not know if I like all these colors. In real life and from normal viewing distance, everything seems to blend in fine, but on the close-ups it just seems overbearing and too much. That is one of the reasons why I have bought the Willem Barentsz (no colors except for a red door in the stern and the Amsterdam Coat of Arms). However, as to the next build - no idea just yet.
It is your ship I know but I’m with Richie regarding the colors.

On the colors; definitely with Richie and Grant, especially since the Haarlem is a sister ship of the Batavia and the Batavia is quite colorful, at least the replica in Lelystad is.

Dear Richie. Thank you so much for the kind words. You know, it's funny about the colors - in all honesty, I do not know if I like all these colors. In real life and from normal viewing distance, everything seems to blend in fine, but on the close-ups it just seems overbearing and too much. That is one of the reasons why I have bought the Willem Barentsz (no colors except for a red door in the stern and the Amsterdam Coat of Arms). However, as to the next build - no idea just yet.
Hi Heinrich, perhaps because I am building a colourful ship your ship also resonates with me, a critique on a close up view perhaps does not give the best impression on the overall look so I would like to see you stay on this track, ultimately your choice though.

Not sure if you have seen this link, if not thought it might be of interest to you.

@Richie

Thank you very much for that link Richie. That is a formidable amount of information.

Doctor Wendy van Duivenvoorde who is responsible for the article, is an Associate Professor in Maritime Archaeology at Flinders University, South Australia. She is also an Adjunct Lecturer at the University of Western Australia and is affiliated with the Institute of Nautical Archaeology at Texas A&M University.

If memory serves me correctly she has worked very closely in the past with Ab Hoving and is one of the authorities on Dutch shipbuilding. Watch out for a possible future project in oak wood! :)

@Richie

As a matter of fact, Richie, you have mentioned a topic close to my heart but one that I just have not had time for. The research that is being done by Professor Van Duivenvoorde and Doctor John McCarthy at Flinders University is nothing short of astounding.

Wendy-van-Duivenvoorde.jpg

Professor Wendy van Duivenvoorde with a model of the Batavia.

John-and-Batavia.jpg

Dr John McCarthy with a modern replica of the Dutch Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie or 'VOC') vessel, Batavia.

Laser-scanning-of-modern-scale-replica-of-Batavia-wrecked-off-Australia-in-1629-768x576.jpg

Maritime archaeologists from Flinders will use 3D scanning to map in fine detail some of the last remaining 17th and 18th century scale model ships in the Netherlands.

Batavia-book-van-Duivenvoorde-791x1024.jpg

Dutch East India Company Shipbuilding: The Archaeological Study of Batavia and Other Seventeenth-Century VOC Ships by Associate Professor Wendy van Duivenvoorde. Winner, 2015 John Lyman Book Award, sponsored by the North American Society for Oceanic History.

And in case you have been wondering - yes, the model used for all this research is indeed the Kolderstok Batavia! As a sidebar, I wonder how many ship modeling kit manufacturers can lay claim to such an achievement.

All of the above information is derived from an article entitled :

Ship Shapes – archaeology goes Dutch​

I’m with you Heinrich. Historically accurate not withstanding, I have a thing about painting wood. I like the natural look and 90% of my woodworking projects have a lacquer finish. As to your current quandary, yes it’s kind of bold unless you take in the entire ship which, in my mind, softens the boldness of the colors. Just as a macro shot of a particular item highlights everything to the eye. OBTW, beautiful work.

Ron

@rtibbs Thank you very much Ron! I have taken @Richie Richie's advice as well and moved the ship "outside on the balcony" where I could take a picture from a slight distance.

微信图片_20211122092845.jpg

Natural light and a normal picture (no macro-close-ups) certainly "soften" the effect.

@rtibbs Thank you very much Ron! I have taken @Richie Richie's advice as well and moved the ship "outside on the balcony" where I could take a picture from a slight distance.

View attachment 270759

Natural light and a normal picture (no macro-close-ups) certainly "soften" the effect.
I apologize for my eyes being drawn over the gunn'ls to the street storefronts beyond, through the ballusters of the railing. Looking for another view with less competition to this well done and finished model.. Rich (PT-2)

@Richie

As a matter of fact, Richie, you have mentioned a topic close to my heart but one that I just have not had time for. The research that is being done by Professor Van Duivenvoorde and Doctor John McCarthy at Flinders University is nothing short of astounding.

View attachment 270758

Professor Wendy van Duivenvoorde with a model of the Batavia.

View attachment 270755

Dr John McCarthy with a modern replica of the Dutch Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie or 'VOC') vessel, Batavia.

View attachment 270757

Maritime archaeologists from Flinders will use 3D scanning to map in fine detail some of the last remaining 17th and 18th century scale model ships in the Netherlands.

View attachment 270756

Dutch East India Company Shipbuilding: The Archaeological Study of Batavia and Other Seventeenth-Century VOC Ships by Associate Professor Wendy van Duivenvoorde. Winner, 2015 John Lyman Book Award, sponsored by the North American Society for Oceanic History.

And in case you have been wondering - yes, the model used for all this research is indeed the Kolderstok Batavia! As a sidebar, I wonder how many ship modeling kit manufacturers can lay claim to such an achievement.

All of the above information is derived from an article entitled :

Ship Shapes – archaeology goes Dutch​

Oh wow that is amazing, now I see where some of your inspiration and knowledge is coming from and thank you for sharing.

@PT-2 Rich the reality is that if I want to take an unobstructed photograph outside, I will physically have to leave my community and go to a park somewhere. I stay in a very old community where all the apartments were hand-outs to farmers whose land had been confiscated by the governments in the interests of industrialization. With all that said and done, I really like this old apartment - even though it is terrible for model-building and photographic purposes.

View attachment 270759

Wow Heinrich. She looks fantastic . I compared this to the one in Dr McCarthy pic above and you are “owning “ this model. Once again your log is so informative- Thanks.

@GrantTyler Thank you so much Grant! The real praise for this should actually go to Hans who researches his models to an absolute "T" (or at least as well as he can with the information available). Also, I need to mention that people such as Ab Hoving is just a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the subject.

@GrantTyler Thank you so much Grant! The real praise for this should actually go to Hans who researches his models to an absolute "T" (or at least as well as he can with the information available). Also, I need to mention that people such as Ab Hoving is just a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the subject.
My own inclination and not being in your actual living conditions is that I always sought out such housing when a navy guy on R&R leave and avoided the city hotels/housing. The "country people" too me in very readily and with overly generous offers of assistance and support as I tried by best to express myself in my poor Japanese and limited awareness of manners. I hope that your new apartment works out for your needs and preferences. Rich

Heinrich,
I see you are planning a build of the Willem Barentsz in the future. I was looking to find any literature/documentation of the journeys. I am currently reading Dutch East India Shipbuilding and wonder if you had any suggestions as to where I might find additional literature. Of course English is my only language so I’m somewhat limited there.:(

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron. That is a difficult one. Courtesy of @Maarten I have found out that @Ab Hoving Ab wrote a book on the Willem Barentsz with Cor Emke, but as far as I know, it is only available in Dutch. Maybe Ab can confirm or deny that. There are various articles on the internet available on the voyages of Willem Barentsz but as far as other books go, I have no idea. I will, however, include some of the most important historical information in my build log.

Barents1.jpg

Back