VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Hello Everyone

Like I said in the last posting, the gallery on the Port Side was next.

微信图片_20211111133845.jpg

The doorframe is a laser-cut piece which is "planked". Strictly speaking this should also be done with overlapping planks, but the size of the part makes conventional planking a far better option.

微信图片_20211112230050.jpg

With the planking trimmed to size, the yellow borderline is painted in around what will be the door.

微信图片_20211111170554.jpg

Door frame dry-fitted to the gallery. Note how the door frame is "anchored" on the right-hand side between the two gallery frames.

微信图片_20211111211707.jpg

Try as I might, I could not find the laser-cut door part anywhere in the box. So a new one was fabricated from scratch, painted and inserted.

微信图片_20211112225946.jpg

And then I could start with the "planking" of the side gallery. Note how the rearmost part of the gallery and the part where it curves are filled-in with custom-shaped pieces of wood to allow more gluing area for the planks.

Now it can rest overnight while the glue dry properly and tomorrow we can proceed.

Happy weekend-modeling everyone!

You are making quite some progress Heinrich.
Most probably you already have to stock some extra kits if you are moving alone to Hefei.
Hope you find a nice house there soon.

Nice to see the tiny planking and scratch building. Now you can give the side galeries there final shape.
A colorfull progress, Heinrich.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter. I am not really a fan of these fiddly bits - especially if they need to be painted - but the fitment of parts in this kit is so good, that it helps greatly.

You did a nice scratch job over here :)
Actually - the inner part of the laser cut door frames can/should be used as door.
Thank you Hans! That of course I realized after I had made the door! :D But after the frame had been cut out, I had the prefect template to cut one of the "spare" doors to shape. That way I could retain the laser-inscribed lines simulating the planking,

You are making quite some progress Heinrich.
Most probably you already have to stock some extra kits if you are moving alone to Hefei.
Hope you find a nice house there soon.
Thank you very much Maarten. I do have some extra stock which can and will be used as the basis for certain scratch-created parts. Unfortunately, Hefei is no longer an option. When we started negotiations I made it clear that I first need to finish the contract with Nantong, before I could move there. That was mutually agreed - only for me to find out that they had already appointed someone! Ah well ... what must be, will be ...

Dear Friends

This update contains nothing about shipbuilding but I do have some good news to share with all of you.

This morning I have received a very good offer from the Stalford International School in Nantong which means that I don't have to go anywhere. More importantly, I don't have to leave the admiral behind.

I do have to move apartments though (the school supplies me with an apartment as my package), but that is a small inconvenience against the overall scheme of things. My starting date will be the 10th of February 2022 after the Chinese Spring Festival (New Year) which means I have some time off :). In the four years that I have been in China, I have never taken leave so this time will be very welcome.

As a matter of interest, Stalford actually has their headquarters in Singapore, so whilst I will be working in China, I am in actual fact working for a truly foreign company.

微信图片_20211111133831.jpg

Stalford International School - Nantong

微信图片_20211111133838.jpg

The Admiral and I want to take this opportunity of thanking each and every one of you for your tremendous support and encouragement during the last month and a half. It is wonderful to know that there are such wonderful people around you. Many, many thanks once more!

Kindest wishes
Anna & Heinrich

Back