Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Paul.

I might be a bit late congratulating you on your beautiful finished, and incredible first build. I was already following the build of your matching and equally beautiful Esping. The two them most certainly will form a spectacular sight in their display case. Something to be proud of.

It has become quite a build log, informative, educational and an enjoyment combined. Your build and engaging personality have attracted an enormous crowd of followers.
We are now shifting to a larger audience chamber for the next phase.

Succes on your Kingfisher.

Hi Paul.

I might be a bit late congratulating you on your beautiful finished, and incredible first build. I was already following the build of your matching and equally beautiful Esping. The two them most certainly will form a spectacular sight in their display case. Something to be proud of.

It has become quite a build log, informative, educational and an enjoyment combined. Your build and engaging personality have attracted an enormous crowd of followers.
We are now shifting to a larger audience chamber for the next phase.

Succes on your Kingfisher.
Thanks Herman. I truly appreciate your kind words.

Paul, I will echo the KUDOS that have come before me. All of them well deserved. I personally appreciated your courage in sharing it "all" with us. The challenges, triumphs, redos, all of it. I've learned so much from you on your Vasa journey. I truly appreciate your patience. It seemed like you never got rattled and approached every "rut-roh" unemotionally and from a logical place. Admirable indeed.
I look forward to your next adventure. It surly will be different. I hope it is as rewarding to you as your Vasa has been. I sense that it will.

Thank you for these kind words, Ken. I wish I could make a claim of keeping my emotions on keel the whole time. When things don't turn out the way I envisioned, my thoughts run something like this:
  1. AGONY: Oh no! What a waste of time! :mad:
  2. DISMISSAL: Whatever! It's good enough... :rolleyes:
  3. ANNOYANCE: (working on next steps I now find myself 'seeing' the poor result like a moth drawn to a porch light) Cautious
  4. GRIEVING stage: No, it's NOT good enough :(
  5. RESIGNATION: I'm going to have to fix it :(:(:(
  6. RELIEF: the part is redone :)
  7. JOY (SATISFACTION): I am SO HAPPY I fixed that thing :D
  8. REGRET: should have never posted the first rendition... ROTF

Last edited:
Thank you for these kind words, Ken. I wish I could make a claim of keeping my emotions on keel the whole time. When things don't turn out the way I envisioned my thoughts run something like this:
  3. ANNOYANCE: (working on next steps I now find myself 'seeing' the poor result like a moth drawn to a porch light) Cautious
So, what you're saying is your hobby experience is 20% joy & relief, and 80% anxiety. :rolleyes:

Thank you for these kind words, Ken. I wish I could make a claim of keeping my emotions on keel the whole time. When things don't turn out the way I envisioned my thoughts run something like this:
:cool:

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS SHORT POST

Well, my model of the Swedish warship Vasa is now complete. I have experienced times of deep frustration - and times of profound satisfaction. Along the way so many of you have taught, corrected, commiserated, and encouraged me. I would love to mention some of you by name, but I fear that forgetting or neglecting someone would only make me appear ungrateful. And the last thing I want to be right now is ungrateful. So, wherever you fit into my build experience, I want to just say thank you. No, really, THANK YOU.

I find the end has filled me with mixed emotions. As a guy who has spent much of his life motivated by accomplishment (and hating that about myself) - I find that being on this journey has been much more gratifying than belaying the last line and sliding the ship into her case. I can truly say that the building process has meant more to me than the building product.

At the end there were just over 130 people who clicked on a button in order to follow this build. Over the course of 27 months there were nearly 4000 posts. More than 200,000 times someone peaked in to see what I was up to. All of this I find humbling beyond words. I look forward to slipping into model building obscurity in the years ahead.

Y habrá años por delante para mí (si Dios quiere). He encontrado un pasatiempo que marca las casillas de las cosas que disfruto hacer (trabajar creativamente con mis manos y mi mente, tratando de lograr algo que está fuera de mi alcance). Y descubrir este foro, ¡qué bendición! Si es posible tener amigos reales en una plataforma virtual, entonces reclamo a muchos, muchos de ustedes como mis amigos. Gracias por hacerme tu amigo también.

View attachment 343957

Estoy tratando de persuadir a una amiga fotógrafa para que salga de su retiro (criando a sus hijos) para tomar fotografías profesionales del barco terminado. Si ella se niega, haré lo mejor que pueda para proporcionar algunas imágenes finales.

Hasta entonces, me encontrarán aquí en el foro tratando de construir barcos que inspiren, tal como me han inspirado a mí.

¡Adelante!
Gran trabajo Pablo. Su nave Vasa es digna de estar en un museo. Con tu trabajo también todos hemos aprendido un poco más sobre este increíble hobby, gracias por mostrarnos tu hermoso trabajo. Un fuerte abrazo desde España amigo Paul.

Great job Paul. His Vasa ship is worthy of being in a museum. With your work we have also all learned a little more about this amazing hobby, thanks for showing us your beautiful work. A big hug from Spain friend Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gran trabajo Pablo. Su nave Vasa es digna de estar en un museo. Con tu trabajo también todos hemos aprendido un poco más sobre este increíble hobby, gracias por mostrarnos tu hermoso trabajo. Un fuerte abrazo desde España amigo Paul.

Great job Paul. His Vasa ship is worthy of being in a museum. With your work we have also all learned a little more about this amazing hobby, thanks for showing us your beautiful work. A big hug from Spain friend Paul.
Thank you Manuel! I appreciate your kind words.

Thank you for these kind words, Ken. I wish I could make a claim of keeping my emotions on keel the whole time. When things don't turn out the way I envisioned, my thoughts run something like this:
Good morning Paul. A concise and descriptive summary of a model builders emotive journey ROTF. Cheers Grant

Wait what its finished already, I seem to have missed a few weeks of reminders and suddenly its all done, shattered I missed the final reveal.

Its stunning Paul and a beautiful case to match, you should be really proud.
Watching your build has been a privilege, it's a reminder to me of what can be achieved with skill and precision work, a level I am not likely to achieve.

I may have missed it in all the very worthy congratulations so looking forward to seeing whats coming up next. Thumbsup :cool: First Place Metal

Wait what its finished already, I seem to have missed a few weeks of reminders and suddenly its all done, shattered I missed the final reveal.

Its stunning Paul and a beautiful case to match, you should be really proud.
Watching your build has been a privilege, it's a reminder to me of what can be achieved with skill and precision work, a level I am not likely to achieve.

I may have missed it in all the very worthy congratulations so looking forward to seeing whats coming up next. Thumbsup :cool: First Place Metal
Yes, Richie, it's done. I waited and waited for you, but alas, I could wait no longer...

And thanks for your kind words!

Congratulations on a job well done. I learned a lot from your build log. I will humbly attempt to apply some of your techniques on my future build of the Sphinx by Vanguard models.

Hi Paul,

I apologise for my absence in expressing how wonderful your finished Vasa looks. Life has a way of affecting our personal timetables!! The vast number of complimentary comments speak for both the model and your abilities so I will not embellish them here - I don’t want to give you a swollen ego!!

The real joy for me is in the joint journey we both took in constructing our ships, starting at about the same time and finishing within weeks of each other albeit with different kits as our starting point. Our collaboration with background research and advice, the occasional communication with Dr Hocker, and the frustrations, joys and reward from building our models has been a wonderful experience. Clearly, although your end product is exemplary, the joy and reward of the journey of building is what will last with you into the future.

Although I have read many of the logs for Vasa construction, the three of us, you, Paul, Daniel and myself, formed a modeller’s bond that mutually contributed, I think, to all our builds - a rare sharing of experiences.

I look forward to reading of your builds going forward. I wish you many warm glances, studies and analysis of your Vasa model as you look at it, sitting in its pride of place, within the wonderful case you have built.

My congratulations on achieving such a remarkable feat, clearly recognized and appreciated by so many supporters. Only those who have travelled the road, know the trials, triumphs and tribulations it has delivered.

All the best,

Regards,

PeterG

Hi Paul,

I apologise for my absence in expressing how wonderful your finished Vasa looks. Life has a way of affecting our personal timetables!! The vast number of complimentary comments speak for both the model and your abilities so I will not embellish them here - I don’t want to give you a swollen ego!!

The real joy for me is in the joint journey we both took in constructing our ships, starting at about the same time and finishing within weeks of each other albeit with different kits as our starting point. Our collaboration with background research and advice, the occasional communication with Dr Hocker, and the frustrations, joys and reward from building our models has been a wonderful experience. Clearly, although your end product is exemplary, the joy and reward of the journey of building is what will last with you into the future.

Although I have read many of the logs for Vasa construction, the three of us, you, Paul, Daniel and myself, formed a modeller’s bond that mutually contributed, I think, to all our builds - a rare sharing of experiences.

I look forward to reading of your builds going forward. I wish you many warm glances, studies and analysis of your Vasa model as you look at it, sitting in its pride of place, within the wonderful case you have built.

My congratulations on achieving such a remarkable feat, clearly recognized and appreciated by so many supporters. Only those who have travelled the road, know the trials, triumphs and tribulations it has delivered.

All the best,

Regards,

PeterG
Don't stop now, @PeterG ! We need to get to page 203.

Hi Paul,

All the best,

Regards,

PeterG
Lovely words Peter. The fellowship of the forum makes these multiyear projects a special experience - and if it can be specifically shared with others working on the same ship something wonderful does happen. You guys challenged me to build the best version of the Vasa I was capable of without a word of criticism or dissent - only kindness and support (commiseration?). And while you are kind to include Daniel and I in your comments - we both know that you were the leader and we simply did our thing in your wake. In particular, while I did not follow it as gospel, your belay sheet and generously shared rigging research was like a safety blanket as I struggled to sort it all out.

Looking forward to cheering you on with your pending Vic. All the best my friend.

Last edited:
Back