Statenjacht 1678-Kolderstok 1:50

While working on the rear cabin wall redo, I finished up the main (and only) mast. ;)
045_Main Mast.jpg

Filled in the previously precut window openings and the planking on the rear wall. Not concerned about the different shade of walnut as the entire wall is to be painted dark green to match the cabin walls. Ready to re-cut the window openings.
046_Wall filled.jpg

The .028 slitting saw arrived from Byrnes Machines, so I fabricated the window inserts.
One day delivery on the blade. First Place Metal That's the advantage of living only thirty miles from his shop. :D

048 Mullions.jpg

Going to have to postpone work in the shipyard for a few days as Hurricane Idalia is due to hit Florida Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning and the projected path puts me in the bullseye. We've been fortunate lately as nothing has formed with Florida in its sights. Our peak hurricane season is September 10th, so we've got three more months of the season to go before it's over for this year.

Time to batten down the hatches and cycle the generator. :eek:

Going to have to postpone work in the shipyard for a few days as Hurricane Idalia is due to hit Florida Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning and the projected path puts me in the bullseye. We've been fortunate lately as nothing has formed with Florida in its sights. Our peak hurricane season is September 10th, so we've got three more months of the season to go before it's over for this year.

Time to batten down the hatches and cycle the generator. :eek:
Wishing you the best of luck with both your preparations and sitting this one out.
Hope to see you safe and sound at the other end of this hurricane.

Hello Ron. Very good-looking mast and rear cabin wall, but those window inserts are just the bees' knees - so finely constructed! Reef the sails my friend, drop the anchors and tie down all canvasing. Make sure there is enough broth in the galley and wait this one out! Keep us posted on what is happening.

Well, hurricane or no hurricane, I was able to finish the redo of the rear cabin wall.

We were fortunate that it took a slight turn northward and took us out of the bullseye although if you know anything about hurricanes you don't want to be on the wrong side which is right of the center as the swirling bands result in the spawning of tornadoes and other nasty things. Mother nature is unrelenting in her power.

I still have some tiding up to do however, I wiggled things in place as best I could. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the bottom right corner is raised slightly so there isn't a nice straight line along the bottom, but this was because of the resin casting itself. Really didn't see a way to correct this however.
049_Rear wall embellished.jpg

Well, hurricane or no hurricane, I was able to finish the redo of the rear cabin wall.

We were fortunate that it took a slight turn northward and took us out of the bullseye although if you know anything about hurricanes you don't want to be on the wrong side which is right of the center as the swirling bands result in the spawning of tornadoes and other nasty things. Mother nature is unrelenting in her power.

I still have some tiding up to do however, I wiggled things in place as best I could. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the bottom right corner is raised slightly so there isn't a nice straight line along the bottom, but this was because of the resin casting itself. Really didn't see a way to correct this however.
View attachment 392145
Good evening Ron. I happy to hear you guys missed the worst of the hurricane. Ahh you should never have pointed out the raised corner, we would not have noticed. Non the less looking beautiful. Cheers Grant

Good evening Ron. I happy to hear you guys missed the worst of the hurricane. Ahh you should never have pointed out the raised corner, we would not have noticed. Non the less looking beautiful. Cheers Grant
Grant, as you know we’re our own worst critic. Eons ago when hanging wallpaper I always pointed to a bad seam etc. and no one would have noticed. Everything looks good from the ten foot distance. I guess that’s human nature for you. ;)

View attachment 392145
I would say a 9+

View attachment 392145
I would say a 9+ and way, way better than you showed in #136.
Good to hear you got away from the hurricane relatively unscratched.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Unfortunately the folks in the bend area of Cedar Key didn’t fare so well.

Good morning, Ron. Glad to hear that you were fortunate enough to carry on work on the Statenjacht. The stern looks superb just as it is. Once again, I will say what I have said many times before. Our obsession with building perfect models, is completely removed from how things were done in the past. Parts were used ad hoc as and when available. If one piece of wood was shorter than another, then so be it. If one knee (which was determined by the crookedness of the natural trunk and branches was less or more concave or convex than another, it was fine. Nothing was wasted. Until much later, no ship was built according to a plan - it was all in the eye of the Master shipwright. I can assure you that Salomon Janszoon van den Tempel - long regarded as probably the best Dutch shipbuilder and builder of the Zeven Provincien - would have given an arm and a leg if his ships could look like so many models on SOS. That slight niggle in the corner is what gives the ship character.

Good morning, Ron. Glad to hear that you were fortunate enough to carry on work on the Statenjacht. The stern looks superb just as it is. Once again, I will say what I have said many times before. Our obsession with building perfect models, is completely removed from how things were done in the past. Parts were used ad hoc as and when available. If one piece of wood was shorter than another, then so be it. If one knee (which was determined by the crookedness of the natural trunk and branches was less or more concave or convex than another, it was fine. Nothing was wasted. Until much later, no ship was built according to a plan - it was all in the eye of the Master shipwright. I can assure you that Salomon Janszoon van den Tempel - long regarded as probably the best Dutch shipbuilder and builder of the Zeven Provincien - would have given an arm and a leg if his ships could look like so many models on SOS. That slight niggle in the corner is what gives the ship character.
Thanks for the kind words Heinrich.
Our obsession with building perfect models,
No longer in my wheelhouse. I left the obsession stage a few years ago after 50+ years of building RC aircraft from plans and not kits where I was obsessed with getting it 'Perfect'. Now days I've taken a page from Grant and call my models Ron's 'xxxx' and enjoy the build.

Now my question for you. What is this? I believe it's called a rolling horse.
B8D5A076-2A74-4666-822A-8147C891C951.png

Thanks for the kind words Heinrich.

No longer in my wheelhouse. I left the obsession stage a few years ago after 50+ years of building RC aircraft from plans and not kits where I was obsessed with getting it 'Perfect'. Now days I've taken a page from Grant and call my models Ron's 'xxxx' and enjoy the build.

Now my question for you. What is this? I believe it's called a rolling horse.
View attachment 392414
Hi Ron. Something used during the launch of a ship?

Back