Statenjacht 1678-Kolderstok 1:50

This is incredibly good work, Ron - I know exactly how small those little pedestals are. I am sure that this will enhance the looks of the Statenjacht accordingly; you can be very happy with those!
Fiddly :) they are .375” long & .187 square

Ron, the balusters are a huge improvement over the resin ones supplied with the kit. What kind of mini lathe do you use? Nicely done, Magic Mike
Mike,
The lathe I use for small parts is a 7 x 16 metal lathe. I use it for both metal and wood as it has variable speed with a top rpm of 3500rpm which seems to be adequate. There are dozens of these lathes which probable come out of the same Chinese warehouse with different labels. :)
I generally purchase my small machine tools and accessories from Little Machine Shop as the importer. They have a large inventory.

The attached picture is the 5/16 Sq. M2 HHS tool bit that I ground the profile on. I made a different profile on either side of the bead; however, you really can't see the difference on the actual part until you glue one upside down from the others then it sticks out like the preverbal "Sore thumb."

Had to add some Dykem red layout dye otherwise the picture had too many reflections. It's not really my blood.:eek:

44_Tool bit.jpg

Ron, great looking tool bit and the results are very nice. My mini lathe is only for working with wood and measures 14" X 4". It has a 100W high torgue motor with seven speeds up 10000 RPM. It gets the job done with small pieces of wood. Regards, Magic Mike

Kit supplied resin pieces for the outside of the hull. They require bending to conform to the curve of the hull.
Suggestions as to how to bend without snapping. Heat, hot water? I only have one shot at this. :eek:

Sorry for the out of focus image but, you get the idea. ;)

Resin piece.jpg

I never did this with resin.... but I guess, that with hot water you can manage and control the temperature much better than with other sources of heat

Kit supplied resin pieces for the outside of the hull. They require bending to conform to the curve of the hull.
Suggestions as to how to bend without snapping. Heat, hot water? I only have one shot at this. :eek:

Sorry for the out of focus image but, you get the idea. ;)

View attachment 388805
Good morning Ron. Resin is brittle, especially if cured properly. The good thing it is easy to sand/shape with needle files. As for bending…I think it depends to what degree you want to bend. Boiling water will help but the bend is limited. The other option is to shape the “inside “ to the hull using files.Try hot water first but be gentle. Cheers Grant

Couple of minutes in 180 degree (F) water seemed to do the trick. Right now they are in paint. I’ll grab a couple of pictures when dry.
Great to hear that the bending process worked out OK.

Great to hear that the bending process worked out OK.
Fortunately I did not have to bend very much to conform to the hull shape. I held my breath expecting to have one snap.
I looked at filing the piece instead of bending however, there just wasn’t enough ‘meat’ to do so.

I now remember why I put this project on the shelf for a while. :(
So, Ron gets the following:

A very LARGE Do over coin.
SOS bitcoin.jpg

When I started adding the resin decorations, I found things didn't quite fit right. I had glued on the top decoration piece of the roof and then started laying out the window frames and the bottom decoration. As it turns out the placement of the window frames over the existing window cutouts were too high and would contact the roof top piece. I've since removed the lattice work from the windows and a good portion of the planking and will be filling in the window opening so I can cut new ones 1/8" lower.

Not sure how all this occurred as the rear cabin wall was pre-cut with the window openings and lattice work.
Right
now, it looks pretty gross as I hadn't finished sanding the planking and there is glue residue along the top edge of the roof line.

Cabin rear wall.jpg

I made a couple of TEST pieces for the windows which are totally out of scale and am waiting on a .028" slitting saw blade to cut the final pieces.
Window mullions.jpg

Looking at Piet's log I see that his rear windows are much lower in relationship to the side windows compared to what I have.
He either cut his different or my precut rear cabin wall is different.
Oh well, just a minor setback. ;)

Piet's stern.jpg

This is what the rear wall looks like with all the decorations.

Piet's stern complete.jpg

Looking at Piet's log I see that his rear windows are much lower in relationship to the side windows compared to what I have.
He either cut his different or my precut rear cabin wall is different.
Oh well, just a minor setback. ;)

View attachment 391042

This is what the rear wall looks like with all the decorations.

View attachment 391041
Not much wiggle room. Going to have to get them right...

Not much wiggle room. Going to have to get them right...
Good morning Ron. Yep those redo’s….always a frustration until you have done the redo and the “ahh so much better “ is rewarding. I agree with Paul especially on top of the windows….going to be an interesting “wiggle” as Paul puts it. Cheers Grant

Back