POF La Palme (L'Amarante) Corvette 1744 1:36 (Ancre Monograph) by Tobias

Good morning, I would like to thank you for all the Christmas wishes, here and on other blogs. Over the last few weeks, my battery had run down to zero and it was time to take a break.

A little update, sawing off the overhang on the starboard side and starting on the nail pattern. Here I use two thicknesses of brass nails, 0.6mm for the whales and 0.4mm for the planks. The brass nails are made using a jeweller's drawing plate. It will take some time and patience until all the nails are set, there will be about 1800 brass nails when I am finished.

View attachment 417238

View attachment 417239

View attachment 417240
May I ask what kind of wood did you use for the gunwales? Thanks in advance!

Wonderful nails Tobias! The finish surface where the nails meet the wood is so very hard to accomplish as you have. One question for you. I too have a jeweler's drawplate, but the holes are round. Do you have one that pulls square holes? If so would you be kind enough to post a link. Thank you.

Wonderful nails Tobias! The finish surface where the nails meet the wood is so very hard to accomplish as you have. One question for you. I too have a jeweler's drawplate, but the holes are round. Do you have one that pulls square holes? If so would you be kind enough to post a link. Thank you.
Hi Ken, thanks.
Yes I got myself a square die, not cheap but it is needed. Here is the link, but I don't know if this jeweller ships to the USA.

I found on Aliexpress also square brasswire, maybe you can give that a try to. I will try to find the link again later.

Hello Alberto, the two types of wood on the outside are boxwood and black hornbeam. The frames are made of pear wood. I hope I was able to help.
Thank you for your kind replay! Just can't got it from that pic. It's maybe a matter of light, but the boxwood streaks look pleasantly pale white instead of ochre yellow. A beauty, anyway, congrats. Cheers!

Hi Ken, thanks.
Yes I got myself a square die, not cheap but it is needed. Here is the link, but I don't know if this jeweller ships to the USA.

Thank you Tobias. They really came out quite nice. The plates are a little pricey, but if used enough it could be a good investment.

I found on Aliexpress also square brasswire, maybe you can give that a try to. I will try to find the link again later.
Hey Stephan. Thanks mate! I knew I would eventually need square nails, working on a ship of the French navy. Tobias' post got me thinking about it. I did go out and find a jeweler's sight that produces all types of wire. I ordered one sample of the smallest diameter (half hard - 22 gauge) square brass. Twenty two gauge is 0.64mm or 1.22 inches in 1/48 scale. I have not yet looked up the specs for the fasteners for Le Fleuron in the plans, but 1.22 inches does not seem unreasonable. I'll have a look later. If this size works, I'll then have to do a cost/benefit analysis to see if it makes sense. At this time in my life, my time is more valuable than my money. ROTF So I'd prefer to purchase it and spend the time saved working on another task.

For those in the US, here is the link to the site. Cheers!

Hi Jim, thanks for the table and the link from AliExpress, I had spoken to Shota some time ago and also found it on AliExpress, the problem with me was that from 0.6mm upwards it is not delivered to Germany, for whatever reason. That's why I opted for the jeweller's drawing plate.

Thank you Tobias. They really came out quite nice. The plates are a little pricey, but if used enough it could be a good investment.

Hey Stephan. Thanks mate! I knew I would eventually need square nails, working on a ship of the French navy. Tobias' post got me thinking about it. I did go out and find a jeweler's sight that produces all types of wire. I ordered one sample of the smallest diameter (half hard - 22 gauge) square brass. Twenty two gauge is 0.64mm or 1.22 inches in 1/48 scale. I have not yet looked up the specs for the fasteners for Le Fleuron in the plans, but 1.22 inches does not seem unreasonable. I'll have a look later. If this size works, I'll then have to do a cost/benefit analysis to see if it makes sense. At this time in my life, my time is more valuable than my money. ROTF So I'd prefer to purchase it and spend the time saved working on another task.

For those in the US, here is the link to the site. Cheers!

Ken now to the dimensions, since I build 1:36 the diameter would be 0.6mm then 0.45mm and 0.4mm would be 0.3mm for you. However, due to the differences in size between La Palme and Le Fleuron, it could be completely different.

At the moment I am approaching the centre with the nailing - a very slow and tedious process, but you are rewarded with the result at the end.

eZy Watermark_29-12-2023_11-58-01-8830PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_29-12-2023_11-59-48-5830PM.jpeg

Hi Jim, thanks for the table and the link from AliExpress, I had spoken to Shota some time ago and also found it on AliExpress, the problem with me was that from 0.6mm upwards it is not delivered to Germany, for whatever reason. That's why I opted for the jeweller's drawing plate.

Ken now to the dimensions, since I build 1:36 the diameter would be 0.6mm then 0.45mm and 0.4mm would be 0.3mm for you. However, due to the differences in size between La Palme and Le Fleuron, it could be completely different.

At the moment I am approaching the centre with the nailing - a very slow and tedious process, but you are rewarded with the result at the end.

View attachment 417572

View attachment 417574
Indeed your time investment has/is paying off BIG time! Not just the material's appearance, but your immaculate placement of the nails. I could look at it for hours.

Thanks Jim. This is the site I bought a sample from. Now, I see the chart shows gauges down to 30AGW. Unless I took a wrong turn on the site I was not able to find any square, half hard smaller than 22 gauge. Dead soft wire is just too soft for nails. I'll have to go back and take another look. I may have made a wrong turn in the filter navigation. I went wire>yellow brass>square>half hard. As I'm typing this, I just thought maybe other wire material may go that small, like copper or silver. I'll have another look.
Thanks for posting the chart bud.

PS: Just went back looks like like 22 gauge is the smallest they offer in yellow brass. The smallest in copper is 24 gauge and other metals, but nothing smaller than 24 gauge in square format. So, I'm curious as to why they would publish a chart showing smaller sizes in square format. I'll give them a phone call on Monday. Thanks all and sorry for highjacking your threat Tobias.

Last edited:
Hi Ken, yes that's right I ordered 0.4 mm wire from Etsy it had a low gold content and was very soft. It's not nice to work with as the wire smears when filing. Here is the pattern I made with the wire.

eZy Watermark_10-08-2023_08-19-49-5050PM.jpeg

It is not a nice result, partly round, frayed or smeared.

PS: Just went back looks like like 22 gauge is the smallest they offer in yellow brass. The smallest in copper is 24 gauge and other metals, but nothing smaller than 24 gauge in square format. So, I'm curious as to why they would publish a chart showing smaller sizes in square format. I'll give them a phone call on Monday. Thanks all and sorry for highjacking your threat Tobias.
I think the chart on their site is just for our familiarity with generally available sizes. With the drawplate you own, you can pull the wire of the required sizes. Also, as you pull through different holes the wire becomes harder. You will need to anneal if you need smaller sizes. However, for the nails, it should be hard enough, IMHO.

There is another way to make the smaller nails. Make with a small square nail the hole square and fill it with dark wood repair wax.
On my anchors of the PW I did this to, I only used fimo Black clay. Think about this easy way of doing it. The bigger holes are beter with brass or wood. But 0.3 mm. why not.

There is another way to make the smaller nails. Make with a small square nail the hole square and fill it with dark wood repair wax.
On my anchors of the PW I did this to, I only used fimo Black clay. Think about this easy way of doing it. The bigger holes are beter with brass or wood. But 0.3 mm. why not.
Stephan that is very interesting, this has also been mentioned in the French forum. I was a little sceptical about this, he brought the ageing process into play and whether it would fall out or crumble over time. What are your experiences Stephan?

Back