POF La Palme (L'Amarante) Corvette 1744 1:36 (Ancre Monograph) by Tobias

Still looking perfect. I used clay that need to be heated to dry.(Action store 99 cents) So I torched the wood from a distance. After sanding it was even better. Sealed it of with Danish Oil. And that makes it to stay in the wood.
Post in thread 'VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-willem-scale-1-75-year-1651.6761/post-239167
Wow, your anchors are so very well done. I tend to favor a more realistic look. Absolutely love the finish on the stocks. The thing that hooks me on them is the little bit of rust on the arms and flukes. It looks like the nail heads sit a little raised from the wood surface. Is that just an illusion or do they actually sit proud? Either way, I really appreciate the results.

Wow, your anchors are so very well done. I tend to favor a more realistic look. Absolutely love the finish on the stocks. The thing that hooks me on them is the little bit of rust on the arms and flukes. It looks like the nail heads sit a little raised from the wood surface. Is that just an illusion or do they actually sit proud? Either way, I really appreciate the results.
Everything you see is an illusion, just flat. Even the arms and fluks are made of wood!

You should tell them that this is a gap in the market. If I think about drilling another 3400 holes, that is certainly a mass production of holes. ROTF
You are doing such a great/fine job with your holes, I wonder if they ever would be bothered to make one. I think you should patent the way you are doing yours! Square Nails by Tobias is the only true one!

Stephan, I don't know how I missed this in your log. I need to go back and find where you made them and learn something valuable.
Good morning Ken, first a good new, here is the link to Patrick's La Renommee, he works with wood kit and shows it quite well in a few pictures. Maybe the article will help.

Post in thread 'La Renommée - French Frigate 1744 (1/48) - Based on Monographie from J. BOUDRIOT'
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...n-monographie-from-j-boudriot.2677/post-45945

Welcome from the "Square Nails by Tobias is the real deal" studio!!!
Jim @Jimsk would say now, reminds me a bit of Tim Tailer from the series "listen who's hammering". ROTF

Well, after an intensive 2 days I've almost finished the side of the gunwale, in the bow area the dark reinforcements still have to be attached and also nailed in place, just like the second whale. At the stern I have not nailed the area where the bottle will later go.

eZy Watermark_01-01-2024_04-44-00-0880PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_01-01-2024_05-54-55-2990PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_02-01-2024_07-21-59-6420PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_02-01-2024_08-20-14-2110PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_02-01-2024_08-22-24-3990PM.jpeg

Welcome from the "Square Nails by Tobias is the real deal" studio!!!
Jim @Jimsk would say now, reminds me a bit of Tim Tailer from the series "listen who's hammering". ROTF

Well, after an intensive 2 days I've almost finished the side of the gunwale, in the bow area the dark reinforcements still have to be attached and also nailed in place, just like the second whale. At the stern I have not nailed the area where the bottle will later go.

View attachment 418398

View attachment 418399

View attachment 418400

View attachment 418401

View attachment 418402
Square nails have the same advantage as square glasses: they do not leave unsightly circles on the surface.:)
I do like the overall appearance of your square nails, Tobias.
Regards, Peter

Witaj
Imponująca praca kołkowanie super. Mam pytanie odnośnie kołkowania czy pod kołek 0,4 wiercisz wiertłem 0,4 czy 0,5 lub większym. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Impressive work pegging great. I have a question about doweling, do you drill under a 0.4 dowel with a 0.4 or 0.5 drill bit or larger. Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Witaj
Imponująca praca kołkowanie super. Mam pytanie odnośnie kołkowania czy pod kołek 0,4 wiercisz wiertłem 0,4 czy 0,5 lub większym. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Impressive work pegging great. I have a question about doweling, do you drill under a 0.4 dowel with a 0.4 or 0.5 drill bit or larger. Regards Mirek

Dzień dobry Mirek,
śrub 0,4mm nawiercam wstępnie wiertłem 0,5mm, dla śrub 0,6mm używam wiertła 0,7mm. Powodem tego jest to, że długość boku np. 0,4 mm ma nieco większy przekrój, więc drewno nie jest dociskane i nie może pękać.

Good morning Mirek,
for the 0.4mm bolts I pre-drill with a 0.5mm drill bit, for the 0.6mm bolts I then use the 0.7mm drill bit. The reason for this is that the side length e.g. 0.4mm has a slightly larger cross-section, so the wood is not pressed apart and cannot crack.

Back