Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Hi Phil, So glad to see you back and in stable health. I sure hope the forum is able to recreate your posts and images.
I started the same build earlier this year and your log has been a GREAT help.
As to 3D printers, last March I purchased an Ender-3 S1 Pro by Creality. The price at that time was under $500. I have been 100% satisfied
with the purchase. I use TinkerCad to design and Ultimaker Cura to prepare the design for printing. Both programs are free.
Sincerely,
Tom (tfcobra)

BTW, Phil. I forgot to mention that there are many excellent Youtube tutorials for all the products I mentioned.
Tom

I've been watching a lot of tutorial stuff on YouTube and reading on the internet. Lots to learn but should be fun. Price will drive my selection - I want good resolution to be able to make small items but don't want to break the bank..

I’ve been doing a ton of research into getting a printer as well. Personally, I think you’re going to get a lot more smaller detail going with a resin printer vs a filament. I have a Micro Center near me that carries a lot of this stuff, and I can get a really decent printer with a wash & cure station for around $500-$600… looking at AnyCubic brand. I’ve downloaded a slicer program called Lychee and have been playing with that using some free downloads from Yeggi to learn print orientation, spotting islands, setting up supports, etc.

Last edited:
I’ve been doing a ton of research into getting a printer as well. Personally, I think you’re going to get a lot more smaller detail going with a resin printer vs a filament. I have a Micro Center near me that carries a lot of this stuff, and I can get a really decent printer with a wash & cure station for around $500-$600… looking at AnyCubic brand. I’ve downloaded a slicer program called Lychee and have been playing with that using some free downloads from Yeggi to learn print orientation, spotting islands, setting up supports, etc.
the resin printer is foremost in my research so far. there is a 12K printer that I am very interested in.

I too have been closely following Phil exceptional build of Nuestra Senora del Pilar (which I'm currently working on) and was most concerned to see that all Phil's text and photos had been recently "removed". Would dearly like to see them again. They were really inspirational......

I too have been closely following Phil exceptional build of Nuestra Senora del Pilar (which I'm currently working on) and was most concerned to see that all Phil's text and photos had been recently "removed". Would dearly like to see them again. They were really inspirational......
I am slowly putting back the best I can....page up and you'll see some already back. I need to work on it some andcwill continue posting up to where I am now in the build. My sincere apologies.

I'm seriously impressed with your negotiation skills Phil! I need someone to make a compelling case for a 4 axis CNC machine. How much do you charge? :)

I am slowly putting back the best I can....page up and you'll see some already back. I need to work on it some andcwill continue posting up to where I am now in the build. My sincere apologies.
Hi Phil, I can understand your reaction to inappropriate comments in these forums, however I'm so glad that you're back & in fighting form. My panic has subsided, have just completed the ornate stern section and am ready to proceed (towards the rigging) in the knowledge that you and your kindly shared photos and comments will be, once more, available to us all......

the resin printer is foremost in my research so far. there is a 12K printer that I am very interested in.
You are on the right track, a resin printer and specially with a 12K resolution will produce the desired items with a detail at the scale that we work with that a filament printer can’t match. I am sure that your research is making you aware of the noxious gases that are involved in the resin process and that good ventilation is a must.

Not having the ability to provide a well ventilated area I ended up with a filament printer (Ender 3 V2 NEO) and are having a great time with it. Now learning how to use the Laser cutting/ engraving add on.

Hi Phil, I can understand your reaction to inappropriate comments in these forums, however I'm so glad that you're back & in fighting form. My panic has subsided, have just completed the ornate stern section and am ready to proceed (towards the rigging) in the knowledge that you and your kindly shared photos and comments will be, once more, available to us all......
I'll have more up tomorrow....lots to upload.

You are on the right track, a resin printer and specially with a 12K resolution will produce the desired items with a detail at the scale that we work with that a filament printer can’t match. I am sure that your research is making you aware of the noxious gases that are involved in the resin process and that good ventilation is a must.

Not having the ability to provide a well ventilated area I ended up with a filament printer (Ender 3 V2 NEO) and are having a great time with it. Now learning how to use the Laser cutting/ engraving add on.
My garage/shop is well ventilated (as needed). So much to learn! I am pretty proficient with Fusion 360 and have been involved in CAD since Autodesk first offered AutoCAD, and I used to work on robots for manufacturing disk drives so I think I understand the 3D side, its all the other things I need to understand. Should be fun huh?!

First, beautiful build (and workshop/tools). And as others have said, she is a big girl. Going to be wonderful when she is completed. Also, the 3D printing. I really think is the future. There were so many bits I had to buy for various projects that were just fudging the item, approximating. Or painfully scratchbuilding a small doo-dad, maybe casting copies (a "thing" in itself). But now, with 3D, you can get exactly what you need. I've got the same Ender printer as tfcobra, and using a similar work method, learning and loving it. I also have a resin printer, and as said, resin is where all the detail is. I have a little one and just received permission from the Department of the Treasury/Finance Minister to get a new 12K! As Frank and Stephen and you, Philski, have said, resin is the way to go.

The future is very exciting! Looking forward to seeing the finish build, Philski.

This is trying something new. 3D printing blocks. I drew a 4mm double pulley block on Fusion 360, took it into the Lychee Slicer and am going to see how they print. Awfully small so we'll see what happens. I am particularly worried about the holes (which are .800 mm dia) and see if they come out. Layer thickness for each step is .05mm. If need be, I can reduce step size to .02mm but it will dramatically increase the time it takes to print. Just experimenting at this time because I am very new to 3D printing. I have printed a few cannons which really came out nicely detailed. Just a quick update to let you know I am still alive. In the meantime, I am still working on rigging on the Pilar, Its ratline time and very tedious. I don't glue the ratlines, I use clove hitches so time consuming to say the least.

Please take care. I check this forum daily. And a Happy and Prosperous New Years to you Ladies and Gentlemen!

2024-01-09.png

This is trying something new. 3D printing blocks. I drew a 4mm double pulley block on Fusion 360, took it into the Lychee Slicer and am going to see how they print. Awfully small so we'll see what happens. I am particularly worried about the holes (which are .800 mm dia) and see if they come out. Layer thickness for each step is .05mm. If need be, I can reduce step size to .02mm but it will dramatically increase the time it takes to print. Just experimenting at this time because I am very new to 3D printing. I have printed a few cannons which really came out nicely detailed. Just a quick update to let you know I am still alive. In the meantime, I am still working on rigging on the Pilar, Its ratline time and very tedious. I don't glue the ratlines, I use clove hitches so time consuming to say the least.

Please take care. I check this forum daily. And a Happy and Prosperous New Years to you Ladies and Gentlemen!

View attachment 420078
Lookin’ good Phil. Nothing like a new “Toy” to keep our old minds working :)
Speaking as one with an old mind.

Back