Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

This is trying something new. 3D printing blocks. I drew a 4mm double pulley block on Fusion 360, took it into the Lychee Slicer and am going to see how they print. Awfully small so we'll see what happens. I am particularly worried about the holes (which are .800 mm dia) and see if they come out. Layer thickness for each step is .05mm. If need be, I can reduce step size to .02mm but it will dramatically increase the time it takes to print. Just experimenting at this time because I am very new to 3D printing. I have printed a few cannons which really came out nicely detailed. Just a quick update to let you know I am still alive. In the meantime, I am still working on rigging on the Pilar, Its ratline time and very tedious. I don't glue the ratlines, I use clove hitches so time consuming to say the least.

Please take care. I check this forum daily. And a Happy and Prosperous New Years to you Ladies and Gentlemen!

View attachment 420078
I do the same. clove hitch knots. I have tried various methods, including gluing them on, and I find the clove hitch makes it look a lot nicer.

I am in the research step right now. On the one hand resin printers are good for details and finer printing than the filament printers, but on the other hand the parts require post processing and you need good ventilation since the resin is toxic.

For filament printing, I need to research how small a part it can print without loosing resolution. I like the fact that I don't need to clean and do further curing of the part. Saves on deskspace which for me is very limited.

Well done. Can you compare the quality of the blocks you made to those that Occre add from vinyl to sets in some period of time ? Which one is probably more satisfying? What do you think about it ?

Well done. Can you compare the quality of the blocks you made to those that Occre add from vinyl to sets in some period of time ? Which one is probably more satisfying? What do you think about it ?
They are both plastic. Mine will need to be painted for appropriate colors but that is easy to do when I am ship building. I am going to try some more trials to see what capabilities I have. One thing - I can easily print 400 of them in about 30 minutes! It is fun seeing what can be done! Incidentally, there are many different resins with different characteristics available. I need to experiment.

double-horde1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still experimenting with this 3D printing and find it will be useful for me. I am using different FEP's (the transparent film in the bottom of the resin vat) and different resins - mainly on the suggestions I received on a 3D printing group via facebook. My latest try is with a naval cannon, using a resin that has ceramic powder as an integral ingredient. And I am trying different layer thicknesses as well as exposure times. The cannon pictured here is 50mm in length. 20240114_062333.jpg20240114_062326.jpg

I am still experimenting with this 3D printing and find it will be useful for me. I am using different FEP's (the transparent film in the bottom of the resin vat) and different resins - mainly on the suggestions I received on a 3D printing group via facebook. My latest try is with a naval cannon, using a resin that has ceramic powder as an integral ingredient. And I am trying different layer thicknesses as well as exposure times. The cannon pictured here is 50mm in length. View attachment 421139View attachment 421140
Good evening Phil. Yep 3D printing has a useful place in our hobby. That is a stunning cannon you have printed. I have not got my resin printing up to your level yet. Awesome stuff ! The only downside I find is that 3D printing cannot replace the wood authentication and some clever painting may go some way to achieve this….. even still will never replicate that wood look. Non the less you have made some fantastic 3D parts. Cheers Grant

Experimenting ? This cannon is very good, I would say it's more about attention to detail than an experiment. Either way, your printing is great.

Next up - printed deadeyes. I drew up a deadeye, fairly plain, in Fusion 360 and will try printing maybe 10 to see how it goes. This is a 5mm deadeye and can be improved upon, design-wise but baby steps...still learning this stuff. Currently I am waiting for Amazon delivery to bring me a new bottle of resin that is colored and not slate gray. I'll post pics once I get them printed. Note that the deadeyes that came with my Nuestra del Pilar model are plastic. Fun stuff!

2024-01-13 (1).png2024-01-13 (2).png

I think the gun is awesome, in both details and all-over appearance! It is way better than some kits manufacturer supplied in their kits. I am anxious to see them painted!
my thinking is on the model I am currently building, a lot of the guns are only barrels and not the full cannon. In the future, I could replace the barrels with whole naval artillery. Just a thought.

The guns and blocks are awesome. Very well done. I hope to (one day) do the same, but a long way to. Keep up the beautiful work.

HI Phil,
Well I settled on a filament printer. The make and model is Creality Ender 3. I got a good deal on it and couldn't resist. Now I wait for it to arrive, in the meantime, I'll have to learn how to use FreeCad 3D
Should be fun.

Congrats! I have an Ender 3 variation (they make about 8 or 10 now!). It's a good size print bed and easy t learn on. One day though, you'll want to get a resin, too - just so much detail! Have fun and try out the free stl files while you learn 3D design. (Cults3d, Yeggi, etc.)

Congrats! I have an Ender 3 variation (they make about 8 or 10 now!). It's a good size print bed and easy t learn on. One day though, you'll want to get a resin, too - just so much detail! Have fun and try out the free stl files while you learn 3D design. (Cults3d, Yeggi, etc.)
Yes, I probably will want a resin printer at some point. But for now I was able to squeeze this one in.
Thanks

HI Phil,
Well I settled on a filament printer. The make and model is Creality Ender 3. I got a good deal on it and couldn't resist. Now I wait for it to arrive, in the meantime, I'll have to learn how to use FreeCad 3D
Should be fun.
Great! Now the fun begins! There are a LOT of 3D Printer groups on Facebook. Some good, some not so good. But there is a bunch of FDM printer users who may help with questions. I take it that there are differences in the quality of the filaments available so a little study might be needed. I'm sure you'll have it totally under control. I am experimenting with different resins right now to see what happens. And along the way, making small flower pots for my wife's succulents. I'll post some pictures soon. I have also tried doing my own designs in Fusion 360 to see how that works and it seems to do just fine. When you get time, share your work with us. It'll be interesting for sure!

Great! Now the fun begins! There are a LOT of 3D Printer groups on Facebook. Some good, some not so good. But there is a bunch of FDM printer users who may help with questions. I take it that there are differences in the quality of the filaments available so a little study might be needed. I'm sure you'll have it totally under control. I am experimenting with different resins right now to see what happens. And along the way, making small flower pots for my wife's succulents. I'll post some pictures soon. I have also tried doing my own designs in Fusion 360 to see how that works and it seems to do just fine. When you get time, share your work with us. It'll be interesting for sure!
will do.

Back