Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

I'm still here. Just got back from Coeur d'Alene vacationing with my wife's daughter for a week. Haven't been doing much on ship building - had heart stress test, PET scan for cancer this past two months. Everything is looking good. My heart produces 'extra beats' (aka Premature Ventricular Contractions) but the cardiologist says it benign and not going to cause a stroke....PET scan shows after 11 years cancer has not returned. Now that it starting to cool down here in southern Idaho, I'll be returning to the shop soon and resume rigging the ship. Summer is almost over.
This is excellent news, Phil and a relief at the same time. Take care, my friend!

I'm still here. Just got back from Coeur d'Alene vacationing with my wife's daughter for a week. Haven't been doing much on ship building - had heart stress test, PET scan for cancer this past two months. Everything is looking good. My heart produces 'extra beats' (aka Premature Ventricular Contractions) but the cardiologist says it benign and not going to cause a stroke....PET scan shows after 11 years cancer has not returned. Now that it starting to cool down here in southern Idaho, I'll be returning to the shop soon and resume rigging the ship. Summer is almost over.
Absolutely great news on the PET scan. Looking forward to your return.

Hi Phil,
Good to hear you have your health under control. Looking forward to your next wonderful post.
I need to confess that I roughly copied your steam box design yesterday as I am getting ready to plank my ship.
Can you tell me approximately how long and at what temp you leave the planks in for in situations where you need radical bending? (such as the bow of your ship)
Thanks,
Tom (tfcobra)

Hi Phil,
Good to hear you have your health under control. Looking forward to your next wonderful post.
I need to confess that I roughly copied your steam box design yesterday as I am getting ready to plank my ship.
Can you tell me approximately how long and at what temp you leave the planks in for in situations where you need radical bending? (such as the bow of your ship)
Thanks,
Tom (tfcobra)
A combination of a stem box and HOT bending. and hour about in steam should be enough. the use of the HOT BENDING method. this method may maybe new to some, but it works. it consists that you find TIN - from beans or other conserves -setting it FAST -as it gets extremely hot - inside the tin-horizontal fixed candlelight -the type you find in Chinese restaurants add ad fire. after about 30 min the surface is extreamly hot. add your wood to bend coming from steam over the tin (you will get about 200 degrees or more. after the bending, the wood will not go back to its natural form.

160- TOOLS BENDING 002.jpg

200--TOOLS BENDING 003.jpg

163--plank bending axel 2.jpg

AA-03-BENDING WOODS-111 (3).jpg

05-bending woods-125.jpg

Thank you, gentlemen. One has to be brave to bend a plank around a hot can without gloves!

Well...I guess it was bound to happen...my wife and I have COVID. Even after 5 shots! Was at the hospital yesterday and now I am on Paxlovid....whadda nasty damn disease.
Oh my word, Phil. That is not good. I was very fortunate with COVID to have been affected very slightly, but others are not so fortunate. I hope you feel better soon!

My best wishes to both you and your wife Phil for a rapid recovery. That’s a sneaky disease that is still popping up when you least expect it.

wish you and your wife a fast and complete recovery - Keep care

Back