Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

No sir, contrary to lack of posting I’ve not given up on the build. It‘s the busy time of year and working in the shipyard is sporadic.

Planking is progressing slowly, one or two planks a day. Only nine more to go to finish this part of the build.

View attachment 380797

BTW. For those who haven’t started the planking process planks 2 - 11 are in three pieces on the flats. In an earlier post I noted my mistake using Titebond II to bond the pieces. That was a good idea until I tried to bend them into shape after immersing them in hot water. This time around I used Titebond III and had no problems soaking and bending those planks.

Off to my morning dip in the pool.

Jan
Looking awesome Jan. I am expecting lots of rain this weekend. So I should get some bench time in.

Got to love summer:D. Good morning Jan. We have had a series of large cold fronts, been having some floods. Good ship building time. Who would have thought the change of glue would make such a difference. Good to see a couple more planks in. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. We’ve had off and on summer weather. Torrential rain one day (2.5 inches ), hot muggy days the next. Would you believe the the beach lifeguards are warning Tourists about the ocean temperatures. On one of 80+F/27+ C days the water temperature was in the hyperthermia range (50F/10C).

Yup the glue difference solved my hot water/bending fiasco. Titebond III is waterproof. I‘ve only used it on the scarf joints at the bow section of the planks. So no ”DO-OVERS” there.

Jan

(Shipyard time this weekend, heavy rain and T-storms forecast for Saturday and Sunday)

Time for an update. Closing in the hull.

View attachment 382119

It’s an almost closed hull. I‘ve got the same problems SB and Port. The garboard planks need serious “adjustments“ to get a proper fit.

Jan
Good morning Jan. Those “whiskey planks”. On both my models I had some serious whiskey planks to finish off.
Hi Grant. We’ve had off and on summer weather. Torrential rain one day (2.5 inches ), hot muggy days the next. Would you believe the the beach lifeguards are warning Tourists about the ocean temperatures. On one of 80+F/27+ C days the water temperature was in the hyperthermia range (50F/10C).

Yup the glue difference solved my hot water/bending fiasco. Titebond III is waterproof. I‘ve only used it on the scarf joints at the bow section of the planks. So no ”DO-OVERS” there.

Jan

(Shipyard time this weekend, heavy rain and T-storms forecast for Saturday and Sunday)
We are having some beautiful winter sunshine days - when Cape Town is like this it is truely inspiring. Apologies for late reply however I have not been in the shipyard while enjoying the few stunning winter days we get. Cheers Grant

Apologies for late reply however I have not been in the shipyard while enjoying the few stunning winter days we get.
@GrantTyler . It’s always nice to have a break in the winter doldrums. We’ve had a strange June. Rain events 25 out of 30 days, smoke haze from wildfires in Canada and daily coastal fog. Even with all that there are enough summer chores to keep me busy and out of the Jan boatyard. This mornings humor event was trying to remove several frogs from the pool. The little buggers a incredibly good at dodging the skimmer net.

I’m holding of on fitting those pesky garboard planks. I need to imagineer a jig to hold the hull upside down so I can see just how much trimming I need to do. There is also a lot fiddly hull work left. All the gunports need to be finished, the planks at the stern need to be trimmed flush with the transom, the sanding marathon of the hull, etc. I also have lots of bits and pieces that need to be painted. Those are waiting for July - August warm weather. My Admiral doesn’t like the smell of the model paints in the house so I do my painting in the garage. With our high humidity events I wait for days that are warm with low humidity. I even move her car outside :D

A little bit of an engineering problem. The openings underlined in red are 8mm X 8mm, the dowels supplied as beams for those openings are 9mm X 9mm. I can see how to enlarge the the exterior openings, but there are two interior cross frames with the smaller openings. Those have me temporarily stumped. I think it might have been a good idea to have adjusted the openings in those frames before they were placed. So imagineering is in progress.

fullsizeoutput_1c5.jpeg

Yup, I'm thinking about it.

Jan

A little bit of an engineering problem. The openings underlined in red are 8mm X 8mm, the dowels supplied as beams for those openings are 9mm X 9mm. I can see how to enlarge the the exterior openings, but there are two interior cross frames with the smaller openings. Those have me temporarily stumped. I think it might have been a good idea to have adjusted the openings in those frames before they were placed. So imagineering is in progress.

View attachment 383341

Yup, I'm thinking about it.

Jan
You have to do as I did, use 8x8 bars or reduce those you have from 9x9 to 8x8

You have to do as I did, use 8x8 bars or reduce those you have from 9x9 to 8x8
Thanks, I think I will follow your example and find some 8mm X 8mm bars. Those would be around 5/16 of an inch. A much better solution than trying to ream those to holes to 9mm X 9mm.

Jan

Thanks, I think I will follow your example and find some 8mm X 8mm bars. Those would be around 5/16 of an inch. A much better solution than trying to ream those to holes to 9mm X 9mm.

Jan
I got some 8x8 bars because I was sure I would do a bad job of reducing those 9x9

:eek:Oh boy, the "Bumbler" has created a problem.:eek:

The plan.

fullsizeoutput_1c9.jpeg

The how to do it video

What the "Bumbler" did.

fullsizeoutput_1ce.jpeg

The inside planking juts just a "WEE" bit above the hull planks. Both the SB side and Port side have the same problem. I'm blaming the build error on "Heat Stroke". It's been over 90F/32C most of the week. That temperature when corrected for high Humidity places the temperature well over 100F. (Can't cool off in the pool, the water temperature is over 85F)

I think I'm going to take a break and try figure out what went wrong. It's going to take some careful ungluing to do a "Do-Over":rolleyes:

Jan

Back