Matthew 1497 1:48 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

holy smokes do you work around the clock?

it is looking really good being a few steps behind your model really inspires me to keep moving on

Saint Michael never sleeps! Lol

I changed my mind about the lower part of the stern, it looked a bit too Spanish for a Bristol boat. I will get something together tomorrow. Try to stay inspired I am anxious to start the next project.

Stern Framing

It took longer than expected but the stern framing is in place. It does not look exactly like my drawing so I will revise the drawing as built lol.
I took a lot of pictures to show how sturdy the model is. All questions or comments are welcome.

IMG_4071.jpgIMG_4073.jpgIMG_4074 (1).jpgIMG_4075.jpgIMG_4076.jpgIMG_4077.jpgIMG_4080.jpgIMG_4081.jpgIMG_4082.jpgIMG_4083.jpgIMG_4084.jpgIMG_4085.jpg

Hallo my friend,
just a short commtent to the upper planks of the stern.
It seems, that one side is higher than the other one? Red is higher than green
Especially if the plank of the rail (blue arrow) is already a final permanent one it could produce some problems
IMG_4085.jpg IMG_4082.jpg

back on the framing i finished all the frames from 15 aft to P at the bow. All these frame notches sat even and square on the keel

FRAME JIG19.jpg

what makes these last bow and stern frame different is i have to adjust and angle of the notch frames 16 to 19 sit on the deadwood piece which is at an angle and in order for the bow frame to sit level i need to cut the floor notches on an angle.

FRAME JIG21.jpgFRAME JIG20.jpg

you see me over at the Alva B but the Matthew is right here next to my computers and i am drawing on the Alva and gluing in the last Matthew frames all at the same time.

Dear Mike
The myrtle has a beautiful and special shade, the combination with your work achieves beautiful results :)Thumbsup

Thanks Shota, Myrtle is easy to work with and takes a nice polish.

Top Castles Deck Clamps

I spent the last few days doing clean-up work, I did get the deck clamps in place and added a little more height to the bow. I am planning on planking the starboard side of the main deck and adding the upper deck framing next, should be done by noon tomorrow, but may take a bit longer.

Progress photos

IMG_4123.jpgIMG_4124_Moment.jpgIMG_4125.jpgIMG_4126.jpgIMG_4127.jpg

Thanks Dave & Don, I am sure you have noticed most of the work in being done in a Panavise and gantry base. With the Panavise there is very good access to all parts of the hull and the base helps keep everything square and level. The build does require a jig. Dave is doing some interesting work with magnets; I will be using some shiny new ones on the next project lol.

Mikes work is really nice personally i like the open look of the timbering.

i finished all the frames and now have a hull

finish hull1.jpg

finish hull2.jpg

this build is about the building process of the hull. By building the hull i will say Mikes drawings are perfect with the laser cut parts from those drawings made a perfect shaped hull. See those bands of solid wood where the frames overlap. if your careful you can get a nice curve from the profile view.

finish hull3.jpg

to get a good shape to the hull you have to pay attention to the drawings which i did not. The frame pieces with the yellow dot are in the wrong spot, they should have been shifted out

now i have to rip out 6 frames rebuild them and replace the ones i messed up.

finish hull4.jpg

i lined the edges up i think the plan shows the timbers shifted. if i shift the yellow dot frames half way to the frame behind it i will get better results.

Matt-1497-3 Frame P1 (2).jpg

Back