Mamoli Royal Louis 1780 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Are you liking the way the base fits?
well, I'm reasonably satisfied. I made a few more adjustments after making these pictures: I discovered that I could more easily identify the gaps by shining a light at it. But still I find it very difficult to make a snug fit, and keep the ship level in all directions.

C'est très bleu.
Sur le mien, j'ai pas de lanterne arrière.
Je vois que tu as fait le choix de le faire sans le gréement.
Hi, indeed this is turning into quite the experiment. My core takeaway from this process is that if I ever do such a "finishing somebody else's work " project again I'm going to do it up to my own quality standards from the start. I did a lot of backtracking on previous decisions, and feel like I'm ending up with a less then satisfactory result. I looked at a photo from the start of the project, and couldn't help feeling like she was prettier without all my efforts:)

Having said that, I'm still enjoying it as an experiment and I'm learning a lot. The lanterns are an addition by the original builder. There are a few other inconsistencies with the drawings, but more on that in the next video. Also, I'm just winging it from now one, almost disregarding what the RL should look like.

And yes, I cut of the masts, just to see how I like the result (and partly to reduce the amount of work). You, and everyone here, can probably imagine how terrible I felt whilst doing that. This project is an emotional rollercoaster.

Tu as déjà fait un gros et joli travail, le résultat sera spectaculaire même si tu as pris certaines libertés.
Faut pas oublier que la base n'était pas parfaite.
Vivement la vidéo.

Salut Martin, dans ta vidéo tu te poses des questions sur certaines parties de ton bateau,je t'ai mis des photos sur mon post qui pourrons peut être t'aider.
A+

Last edited:
Je viens de voir un détail sur ton bateau au niveau des bouteilles, les fenêtres du bas sont montées à l'envers, le petit carreau est monté vers l'avant normalement et le long vers l'arrière , tu peux le voir sur tes plans.

I just saw a detail on your boat at the level of the bottles, the bottom windows are mounted upside down, the small pane is mounted forward normally and the long one aft, you can see it on your plans .

Last edited by a moderator:
Je viens de voir un détail sur ton bateau au niveau des bouteilles, les fenêtres du bas sont montées à l'envers, le petit carreau est monté vers l'avant normalement et le long vers l'arrière , tu peux le voir sur tes plans.

I just saw a detail on your boat at the level of the bottles, the bottom windows are mounted upside down, the small pane is mounted forward normally and the long one aft, you can see it on your plans .
indeed, they are the wrong way around, I hadn't noticed . Well spotted :)

That ship's bottom would most likely have had some mixture of resins toxic to teredo worms mixed with tallow. (Beef fat mixed with kerosene, turpentine, or the like.) this would give the bottom a buttery or beige off white color. If you want to go the route of paint, use a flat or very satin acrylic, possibly over a coat of smoothly sanded gesso, (preferable to gray sanding sealer or prep, which would tend to show through the tallow paint color) as the tallow coating would obscure any treenails. This would subtly contrast with the natural wood finish above the water line and give the overall look of the ship a pleasing aesthetic and historic believability.

Pete

That ship's bottom would most likely have had some mixture of resins toxic to teredo worms mixed with tallow. (Beef fat mixed with kerosene, turpentine, or the like.) this would give the bottom a buttery or beige off white color. If you want to go the route of paint, use a flat or very satin acrylic, possibly over a coat of smoothly sanded gesso, (preferable to gray sanding sealer or prep, which would tend to show through the tallow paint color) as the tallow coating would obscure any treenails. This would subtly contrast with the natural wood finish above the water line and give the overall look of the ship a pleasing aesthetic and historic believability.

Thanks Pete, I'll keep that in mind. Probably for my next build :)

And here is episode 5:
10:08
You can put part of masts to make some details on deck.
(Last picture)

10:46
Under bowsprit there're always two elements(knighthead) you can see them on 4th picture counting from top

If you're already re-do things, and want to focus on hull mabye try to add those elements

notitle.jpg

10:08
You can put part of masts to make some details on deck.
(Last picture)

10:46
Under bowsprit there're always two elements(knighthead) you can see them on 4th picture counting from top

If you're already re-do things, and want to focus on hull mabye try to add those elements

View attachment 391317
J'ai regardé sur les plans du RL et cette pièce n'y est pas.

Préparez le canon maintenant :
View attachment 399619
Salut Martin, toujours au boulot.
Tu t'amuses bien avec ces canons, perso, j'ai reçu les poulies pour les miens mais je n'ai pas de temps en ce moment pour le RL.
Bon courage car c'est très long à faire, un vrai jeu de patience.

Hi Martin, still at work.
You're having fun with these guns, personally, I received the pulleys for mine but I don't have time at the moment for the RL.
Good luck because it takes a long time to do, a real game of patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back