Mamoli Royal Louis 1780 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Small painting question: I'm painting the first whale (I think?) matt black, but the paintwork is not that great. It shows brush-strokes, especially if light is shined directly on it (see pictures). With semi-gloss paint this has never happened before. Do you have any tips or suggestions?
IMG_20230415_215828.jpgIMG_20230415_215844_1.jpg

Also, I doubled-checked the drawing this extra bit of grating at the bow of the ship. And indeed, it shouldn't be there. The setup is the same as on the RL that @nono318 is building. I think it is about time to doublecheck the drawings with the current state of my model :)
IMG_20230416_111704.jpg

Bonjour , c'est vrai qu'on voit souvent des traces avec les peintures mat.
Mais je pars du principe qu'on fabrique un bateau historique pas une voiture neuve.
Si tout est super propre et net, est ce que ça ne va pas faire trop neuf ?
Je vais peindre cette partie en marron foncé.
Est-ce que tu as tous les plans ?
S'il t'en manque, n'hésite pas à me demander.
Bruno.

Hello, it is true that we often see traces with matte paints.
But I assume that we make a historic boat, not a new car.
If everything is super clean and neat, won't it look too new?
I will paint this part dark brown.
Do you have all the plans?
If you miss any, don't hesitate to ask me.
bruno.

Mais je pars du principe qu'on fabrique un bateau historique pas une voiture neuve.
Bruno.

bruno.
Perhaps a second coat followed by a matte varnish?

Bruno.

bruno.
indeed, good point: there is no need for perfection :) I think I have got all the plans. I just about reached the point where I can start building something, instead of modifying stuff that the original builder made

About the paintwork: I now masked everything instead of only the basic stuff, so that I could paint faster and with longer strokes. That helped a lot, and the result is fine. Now let's see if I can still fill some of the small gaps in the hull

Episode 4 is on YouTube, in which I'm making the base that the model will rest on. I'll post some photos later.

I've already done a bit more work on the model than the video shows. There are some doubtful decisions coming up in the next video, and I'm really looking forward to hearing your feedback. Personally, I'm getting increasingly enthousiastic, and I can sort of imagine what she will look like when she's finished. Can't wait!

Salut Martin, ça avance, le socle est sympa, la peinture rend bien, perso, sur le mien , j'ai peint les affûts de canon en ocre rouge.

Hi Martin, it's progressing, the base is nice, the paint looks good, personally, on mine, I painted the gun carriages in red ochre.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make the plank below pillars much longer and spread them. It look weird like for a schooner or a small boat. Besides that is ok

For me this one looks better. Just paint it black an put on a thicker plank
IMG_20230402_134439.jpg

Last edited:
I would make the plank below pillars much longer and spread them. It look weird like for a schooner or a small boat. Besides that is ok

For me this one looks better. Just paint it black an put on a thicker plank
View attachment 377223
thanks! Yes, the design if the base is definitely an experiment. I usually have a design such as you suggest, but I wanted to try something different. The one on this picture is a temporary one I made - haha, I made it longer than the finished one because of stability :) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to get a feel for what works with which model, and it seems to work best for me if I try stuff and see if it starts annoying me after a couple of months. Also, a side consideration is that I'm trying to include as much of the original model that I bought, sort of out of respect to the builder.

As always, thanks for the feedback!

Pour mon Royal Caroline, j'avais fabriqué ça :

View attachment 377280

View attachment 377281
ah, that is very nice! I was doubting whether a model would look good on such a low base, but it does! I'm going to check out more of your work before my next project:)

ah c'est très sympa ! Je doutais qu'un modèle ait l'air bien sur une base aussi basse, mais c'est le cas ! Je vais vérifier plus de votre travail avant mon prochain projet :)

Back