Le Rochefort build log by OlivierF

I’ve been working on installing the frames along with all the finicky bits between the frames. For a rookie I think they turned out ok.

IMG_9840.jpeg

IMG_8273.jpeg

IMG_8277.jpeg

Now I’m working on completing the transom Timbers and the ”fashion pieces” (Table 5 - G #9). They are a head scratcher for me…
I think I’m getting close with version 5.0 But may be making version 6.0.
can anybody help in confirming I have them placed (mostly) in the correct place?

IMG_8278.jpeg

IMG_8279.jpeg
IMG_8280.jpeg

Looks great Oliver. When you put the frames in and especially the spacers did you test fit all the pieces several times before committing ? I'll be at that point when I get back on my build. anxious

Looks great Oliver. When you put the frames in and especially the spacers did you test fit all the pieces several times before committing ? I'll be at that point when I get back on my build. anxious
Thanks Tony. I actually only had to adjust the fit on a couple of spacers individually. I cut a couple of strips for the bottom 3 x 6.75 and for the sides at 3.2 x 4.5. I milled the grooves in the frames for the side pieces at 1mm deep and everything fit nicely except for a couple that needed a little sanding.

I have completed the hawse-timbers and rough sanded them inside and out. Also rough sanded the interior of the hull.
Next step is to work on the counter-timbers. I will need to finish sand the interior as well as shape and sand the outer hull.
She’s coming together and I’m pleased since this is my first attempt at scratch building. IMG_8301.jpegIMG_8302.jpegIMG_8303.jpegIMG_8304.jpeg

Good morning Oliver,
this looks very good and clean.

A small tip, if you want to sand the framework on the outside, I would recommend that you first cover the inside with planks to have a higher stability.

i’m using Adrien’s method to setup the counter-timbers. What with measuring angles and thicknesses off the plans it took me three days to get this far. I guess, just like in construction, if your foundation isn’t plumb, level and square you end up with a crooked house… Redface
Tomorrow is another day. Now it’s time for a beer!IMG_8309.jpegIMG_8308.jpeg

Ordered “The Package” (monographie and Sorolla’s book) from A.N.C.R.E today. The clock is ticking… wonder if I’ll get them in time for Santa to put under the tree…
Hallo @OlivierF
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

It took way longer than I thought to complete the counter. But it’s complete (still have to do the filler piece around the rudder) And looks ok. Lot’s of mistakes but I think the planking will cover many sins…

IMG_8314.jpegIMG_8312.jpegIMG_8313.jpeg

After finishing the counter, I’ll start on interior planking. I’m going to use boxwood (Thank You @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) for the lumber). I took some time today and milled some planks on the bandsaw. I’m using a 3/4” variable tooth resaw blade from Timberwolf and was able to saw 3mm, 2mm and 1.5mm with ease. Just a little clean up on the thicknesser To go.
IMG_8318.jpegIMG_8315.jpegIMG_8317.jpeg
more to come soon but now I need to spend some time “winterizing”. New heat tape on the north side of the house before it snows! Bring in the patio furniture and tune up the snowblower too…

Very nice progress and a great achievement. You did a really good job on the tail construction. Great boxwood, very nice grain and a great colour. It will be nice to work with.

In preparation of starting the planking of the ceiling (still seems strange to to call the “ceiling“ planks that go on the inside floor :rolleyes:) I made some clamps using @Tobias’ tutorial. Thank you Tobias!

I also needed to make a keel clamp to hold the hull now that it’s out of her framing support. I looked around SOS files and found the one @DocBlake made
Thread 'Keel Clamp (Home Made)'
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/keel-clamp-home-made.7076/
So I copied it in some walnut I had in the scrap pile. Thank You Doc Blake.
IMG_8328.jpegIMG_8323.jpegIMG_8324.jpeg

I did modify the base so could attach it to the bench And be able to rotate it as needed.
IMG_8325.jpeg

Next step the actual planking begins…

Last edited:
Now that I have a keel clamp that I can articulate I discovered that I have to use it standing up as even at the lowest setting of my workbench it’s still too high to work comfortably. Oh well, as Adam Savage of Myth Busters used to say, “Failure is always an option.” …

Anyway, I did make progress by milling the ceiling planks. They are 6mm wide and 1.75mm thick boxwood. I did get the first plank dry fitted. I know it a single piece and should be made from smaller segments but it seems to lay better as a single board. I may scribe some lines to mimic the seams. We’ll see.
IMG_8333.jpegIMG_8332.jpeg
I also decided that the dust port on the FET saw is useless. It’s way too undersized to keep up. So I enlarged it to fit my dust collector. Much more effective.
IMG_8331.jpeg
Now it’s time to stop and enjoy a beer and the sunset!

Good morning Oliver very nice start.
One small note, to the left and right of the keelson are small ledges needed to support the limber board. These are divided in the area of the mast base and the pump well. (Red arrows)

In the area of the red circle, the first row of planks is interrupted because the pumps go through the frames there.

IMG_1232.jpeg

eZy Watermark_24-09-2023_07-43-07-7870PM.jpeg

Good morning Oliver very nice start.
One small note, to the left and right of the keelson are small ledges needed to support the limber board. These are divided in the area of the mast base and the pump well. (Red arrows)

In the area of the red circle, the first row of planks is interrupted because the pumps go through the frames there.

View attachment 403739

View attachment 403741
Tobias,
Thanks for the info. I was aware of the cutout for the pumps. I was planning on waiting until I’ve constructed the pump house to cut the planks in order to make sure the cutout is correctly sized.
I’ve looked through Adrien’s book and G.D.’s drawing but did not find any reference to the ledge supports against the keelson. It does makes sense to install them but I’m curious where you got the information for them.
Thanks again for your continued help and expertise.

Back