Le Rochefort build log by OlivierF

Tobias,
Thanks for the info. I was aware of the cutout for the pumps. I was planning on waiting until I’ve constructed the pump house to cut the planks in order to make sure the cutout is correctly sized.
I’ve looked through Adrien’s book and G.D.’s drawing but did not find any reference to the ledge supports against the keelson. It does makes sense to install them but I’m curious where you got the information for them.
Thanks again for your continued help and expertise.
Hello Oliver,
of course I can give you the information, it's not a well-kept secret.

You will find them very well hidden in the plan and also in Adrian's book.
Here are a few pictures with the hint that they exist.

eZy Watermark_31-10-2023_07-03-00-6650PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_31-10-2023_07-02-19-4780PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_31-10-2023_07-01-17-5890PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_31-10-2023_07-00-16-6750PM.jpeg

Hello Oliver,
of course I can give you the information, it's not a well-kept secret.

You will find them very well hidden in the plan and also in Adrian's book.
Here are a few pictures with the hint that they exist.

View attachment 403822

View attachment 403823

View attachment 403824

View attachment 403825
Once again, thank you. I see them now and continue to recognize that I must not skim over the smallest details in the plans. As usual I completely missed the importance of scrutinizing the plans with a magnifying glass. :oops:

There is a huge learning curve in figuring out laying the ceiling planks. I laid down and tore up my efforts 4 times before this result. Not nearly perfect and tried to burn down the hull a couple of times using a heat gun to soften glue for removal. :eek:
I also tried several methods for applying tissue paper as the caulking and failed miserably. I finally contacted @Tobias (thanks again) and he willingly provided some insight and suggestions. In the end I abandoned the tissue paper idea and am “painting” the edges with a mahogany paint marker used in flooring repair. Link to Amazon

I’m planning to scrape and sand the planks once they’re all in place. should work out fine… That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

IMG_8357.jpeg

IMG_8358.jpeg

Hi Oliver, it's a shame to hear that it didn't work. We also discussed marking with colour, thank goodness there are several ways to display the seals.
I do believe my difficulty with the tissue paper is because of my fat fingers and arthritis more than anything else. I believe my next model will be in a larger scale so I can at least pick up the pieces.

And have in mind - the inner planking in the hold had usually no caulking between the planks
Your planbking is looking very good

And have in mind - the inner planking in the hold had usually no caulking between the planks
Your planbking is looking very good
I have to disagree with you here Uwe, Le Rochefort was used to transport powder from the harbour to the ships. GD points out in his monograph that the hold and the inner planks were caulked to keep it absolutely watertight.

I have to disagree with you here Uwe, Le Rochefort was used to transport powder from the harbour to the ships. GD points out in his monograph that the hold and the inner planks were caulked to keep it absolutely watertight.
OK - understood - many thanks for the correction and clarification
good, that I wrote "usually" ;)
Very interesting detail

Here’s a question based in complete ignorance…
When planking the ceiling on the inside of the hull, do you taper the planks from the keel side, gunwale side or both? I realize the curve is representative of the inside of the hull but the tapering is kicking me in the behind as I’ve tried all kind of ways and nothing seems right.
Any ideas from those more experienced than me?
Thanks!

IMG_1106.jpeg

Me too. I only taper one side so I always have a ‘perfect’ side to keep my bearings.
Thanks Paul. Keeping a reference edge makes sense.

I use this construction and mark out my plank, clamp it in place and then go over the edge with a small plane.
Again thank you.
I have been doing a similar process using the face vise on my workbench. In looking at your picture you attached I see you glue a plank profile to your wood. Are you using the elevation view from “Planche 6”?
IMG_8421.jpeg

Back