La Toulonnaise 1823 - French schooner - Billing Boats 1:50

A small update with my jigsaw puzzle.
The instruction manual shows the keel should be 414 mm but the scale plan measures 411mm, the juggle continues one bulkhead at a time.:)

View attachment 387666

And just to clarify an earlier image showing the wooden deck doesn't match the plans, I plan to lay planks on the deck and not use the printed lines.

View attachment 387667
Good morning Richie. I agree with you. Not only does this give you an opportunity to get the deck planking more accurate but it always looks so much better. I found the same thing with my Xebec, where the measurements of the written instructions did not match the printed 1:1 diagram in some instances.Hmmm kit manufacturers….Cheers Grant

According three decks she was part of the Iris-class schooners, all of them armed with 6 pc of french 18 pounders
At this time often the ships had more gunports, than guns really on board

According three decks she was part of the Iris-class schooners, all of them armed with 6 pc of french 18 pounders
At this time often the ships had more gunports, than guns really on board

Thank you for that info Uwek.
Interesting that the Billing plans I have show 8 cannons on deck.

Just found another information directly in our forum

Armament: 8 carronades of 18 pounds and 4 scallops. (6 carronades at launch, 2 will be added later, probably in 1832)

In post #19 a contemporary model from the museum in Paris is shown - On the description plate "6 carronades", the model is showing only one gun - seems that the others were lost.

La Toulonnaise 03.jpg

Now I am pretty sure, that either 6 or also 8 guns would be historical correct

Just found another information directly in our forum

Armament: 8 carronades of 18 pounds and 4 scallops. (6 carronades at launch, 2 will be added later, probably in 1832)

In post #19 a contemporary model from the museum in Paris is shown - On the description plate "6 carronades", the model is showing only one gun - seems that the others were lost.

View attachment 388506

Now I am pretty sure, that either 6 or also 8 guns would be historical correct
Thank you, yes I am following this log.
Strange indeed that there is only 1 gun on the deck.

I will log a few notes on my build here.

This kit was given to me after passing through a few hands, the original owner requested it be built as it had to be shelved after he barley started it.

I think the scale is 1:50 but nothing is obvious on the box except it's made in Denmark.

It would be quite big once finished as the dimensions are approx 980mm from bowsprit to stern and 700mm high.

Box Kit.jpg

I suspect this particular kit is at least 25 years old as there is a Modeller's Shipyard magazine and flyers from the late 90's, this design may have been around for quite a while since.

A quick check in the box and it seems like all or at least most parts are there except accessories.
Billing Boats decided that if you wanted the canons, blocks, extra life boats, etc then you need to purchase another kit No. 483 so I don't have these.

This image is from the internet as an example.

483.jpg

There are no laser cut parts and the wood is well dried out.

The kit is a plank on bulkhead type although there is no central spine for the bulkheads as it is built up from individual wood parts.

Pics.jpg

There is a roll of flat copper included so not sure what its for, perhaps lining the hull.

Looking through the instructions there is not a lot of technique details so if it's your first build it may have been a challenge to complete it.
Not sure how the materials will hold up and to complete the model some scratch built or purchased parts will be required, but I think I am up for the challenge.

A few other kit manufactures have a similar kit so was wondering if anyone has built this particular version, let me know how it went.
Hallo @Richie
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Happy birthday, my friend! I wish you a wonderful day and also want to express the wish that there will be many more years ahead in which you can delight us with your beautiful work!

I will log a few notes on my build here.

This kit was given to me after passing through a few hands, the original owner requested it be built as it had to be shelved after he barley started it.

I think the scale is 1:50 but nothing is obvious on the box except it's made in Denmark.

It would be quite big once finished as the dimensions are approx 980mm from bowsprit to stern and 700mm high.

Box Kit.jpg

I suspect this particular kit is at least 25 years old as there is a Modeller's Shipyard magazine and flyers from the late 90's, this design may have been around for quite a while since.

A quick check in the box and it seems like all or at least most parts are there except accessories.
Billing Boats decided that if you wanted the canons, blocks, extra life boats, etc then you need to purchase another kit No. 483 so I don't have these.

This image is from the internet as an example.

483.jpg

There are no laser cut parts and the wood is well dried out.

The kit is a plank on bulkhead type although there is no central spine for the bulkheads as it is built up from individual wood parts.

Pics.jpg

There is a roll of flat copper included so not sure what its for, perhaps lining the hull.

Looking through the instructions there is not a lot of technique details so if it's your first build it may have been a challenge to complete it.
Not sure how the materials will hold up and to complete the model some scratch built or purchased parts will be required, but I think I am up for the challenge.

A few other kit manufactures have a similar kit so was wondering if anyone has built this particular version, let me know how it went.
Happy birthday ! My kit was bought in 1979. Fittings had to be bought separately. There was no copper roll...

Happy birthday, my friend! I wish you a wonderful day and also want to express the wish that there will be many more years ahead in which you can delight us with your beautiful work!
Thank you for those kind birthday wishes Heinrich.
Might need a few of those years by the time I get to finish my builds.:)

Happy birthday ! My kit was bought in 1979. Fittings had to be bought separately. There was no copper roll...
Thank you for the birthday wishes and kit info.
Yes I found the copper roll was a separate purchase but just not sure what it's for yet.

Back