La Belle 1682 1/48 Kit CAF par Cathber

Very good work, Cathber. The La Belle is a beautiful, little ship and I am sure you are enjoying building her. Make sure to follow the log of @Thomas Marocke - there is so much good instructions and tips to be had from it.

Bonjour, merci pour vos encouragements. J'ai effectivement lu le journal de @Thomas Marocke et il a aussi rencontré des pb de conception sur cette construction. Je pensais que ces défauts avaient été corrigé depuis 2020. Bon, restons positif je ne vais pas rester sur un échec.
Je vais provisoirement monter l'ensemble des poutres et des ponts avec du Fixo-gum ce qui me permettra de tricher/modifier le montage avant collage définitif.
J'avais prévu de construire le HMS Granado après 'La Belle'. Rassurez-moi, il n'y a pas de problème de ce type sur le Granado ?

Hello, thank you for your encouragement. I actually read @Thomas Marocke's diary, he also encountered design problems on this construction. I thought that these defects had been corrected since 2020. Well, let's stay positive, I'm not going to leave it as a failure.
I will temporarily mount all the beams and bridges in relation to the plan with Fixo-gum which will allow me to cheat/modify the assembly before final gluing. I will share my experience for future builders of 'La Belle'.
I had planned to build HMS Granado after 'La Belle'. Reassure me, there is no problem of this type on the Granado?

Bonjour, merci pour vos encouragements. J'ai effectivement lu le journal de @Thomas Marocke et il a aussi rencontré des pb de conception sur cette construction. Je pensais que ces défauts avaient été corrigé depuis 2020. Bon, restons positif je ne vais pas rester sur un échec.
Je vais provisoirement monter l'ensemble des poutres et des ponts avec du Fixo-gum ce qui me permettra de tricher/modifier le montage avant collage définitif.
J'avais prévu de construire le HMS Granado après 'La Belle'. Rassurez-moi, il n'y a pas de problème de ce type sur le Granado ?

Hello, thank you for your encouragement. I actually read @Thomas Marocke's diary, he also encountered design problems on this construction. I thought that these defects had been corrected since 2020. Well, let's stay positive, I'm not going to leave it as a failure.
I will temporarily mount all the beams and bridges in relation to the plan with Fixo-gum which will allow me to cheat/modify the assembly before final gluing. I will share my experience for future builders of 'La Belle'.
I had planned to build HMS Granado after 'La Belle'. Reassure me, there is no problem of this type on the Granado?
@Uwek Uwe is the Granado master, so he will be able to give you first-hand information.

First of all:
The Granado is a very good kit (the La Belle I do not know) - I know it in the meantime very good - small things, but building a POF-kit you have never to stop thinking about this and the upcoming working steps.
to the platform:
better too long than too short - often the designer are making some parts (like a one piece platform E01) longer bigger etc. so that the modeler can adjust this part to the actual situation - every modeler is building the same kit slightly different, so adjustments are necessary - often especially at the bow and stern areas
In the 3D sketch the platform is lower than the end of the higher wooden clamp - so the platform end between 25 and 26 - also this photo was made maybe before the platform of the modeler was not adjusted
-> go for the drawings and see these small photos of working steps as a help

Oui @Uwek, je vais me baser sur le plan pour le montage, et utiliser uniquement le fascicule comme aide pour trouver et positionner les pièces.
Je savais qu'il y avait une explication car les Kit CAF sont de bonnes constructions.
C'est la richesse de ce forum car il y a au moins quelqu'un qui sait ou qui a plus d'expérience dans la construction.
Encore merci pour vos explications, trucs et astuces de construction.

Yes @Uwek, I will base my assembly on the plan, and only use the booklet as an aid to finding and positioning the parts.
I knew there was an explanation because the CAF Kits are good builds.
This is the richness of this forum because there is at least someone who knows or has more experience in construction.
Thank you again for your explanations, construction tips and tricks.
Sorry for my bad English, I use Google translate.

Hi Cathber!

The two deck halves for the main deck were too short. That's why the deck of the cabin is probably a little longer to compensate for this difference. First install the deck beams of the main deck and check their position using the two deck halves. The cabin deck can be fitted later.
There is a reason why all the decks on this model are closed and you cannot look into the model from above.

Best regards
Thomas

Merci @Thomas pour ces infos. Je vais monter provisoirement avec du fixo-gum pour visualiser la position de l'ensemble des ponts.
Si tout est en position je collerai définitivement.
J'indiquerai mes résultats sur le forum pour informer les futures constructeurs de 'La Belle'.

Thank you @Thomas for this information. I'm going to mount it temporarily with fixo-gum to visualize the position of all the bridges.
If everything is in position I will definitely glue.
I will indicate my results on the forum to inform future builders of 'La Belle'.

Bonjour @Thomas, J'avance doucement sur 'La Belle'. Je suis en train de réfléchir pour faire des aménagements intérieurs qui ne sont pas dans le kit CAF. Pour m'aider j'ai la monographie de Jean Boudriot avec des planches au 1/48.
J'ai vu sur votre modèle que vous avez également amélioré le kit. Quel type de bois utilisez-vous pour faire les cloisons ?
@Uwek sur le Granado savez vous quelle type de bois est utilisé dans le kit CAF pour les cloisons intérieures ?

Hello @Thomas, I'm moving slowly on 'La Belle'. I am currently thinking about making interior fittings that are not in the CAF kit. To help me I have Jean Boudriot's monograph with 1/48 plates.
I saw on your model that you also improved the kit. What type of wood do you use to make the partitions?
@Uwek on the Granado do you know what type of wood is used in the CAF kit for the interior partitions?
thanks.

Bonjour @Thomas, J'avance doucement sur 'La Belle'. Je suis en train de réfléchir pour faire des aménagements intérieurs qui ne sont pas dans le kit CAF. Pour m'aider j'ai la monographie de Jean Boudriot avec des planches au 1/48.
J'ai vu sur votre modèle que vous avez également amélioré le kit. Quel type de bois utilisez-vous pour faire les cloisons ?
@Uwek sur le Granado savez vous quelle type de bois est utilisé dans le kit CAF pour les cloisons intérieures ?

Hello @Thomas, I'm moving slowly on 'La Belle'. I am currently thinking about making interior fittings that are not in the CAF kit. To help me I have Jean Boudriot's monograph with 1/48 plates.
I saw on your model that you also improved the kit. What type of wood do you use to make the partitions?
@Uwek on the Granado do you know what type of wood is used in the CAF kit for the interior partitions?
thanks.
The walls are also cherry wood

Hi Cathber!

I made all additions and modifications to the kit in pear wood. The CAF kit largely corresponds to the drawings by Jean Boudriot. However, the construction drawings in the monograph from the "Ancre" publishing house are much more detailed and in the end I only used these construction drawings. For the cabin interior, however, there are only a few indications on drawings 11 and 13.

Best regards
Thomas

thanks.
Hi Cathber--

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question--I didn't see the notification. To answer your question, I got the thinnest plywood I could find (I think 1mm) and cut it to size and scored it to look like vertical planks. When I stained it, the stain darkened the cracks more than the surface which gave the wall a planked appearance. Good luck with your project!

Thomas

Cathber--I went back to some of my build pictures and now recall that I only used the plywood approach mentioned above on perpendicular outside walls that would be edge on to the viewer because I wanted them to be as thin as possible. I built up the internal walls by using the pine planking that I didn't need for the first layer of planking. I made a horizontal frame then glued in the vertical planks. This provided further support for the deck above. See pics.

019.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

Back