HMS Winchelsea 1764, 32 gun Frigate 1:48, Syren Ship model by Trussben

Outstanding work Ben,do you intend to paint the cabin panelling white or leave natural timber?

Kind Regards

Nigel

I will be leaving it natural for the moment, I want to see how everything looks after the deck is planked, same thing with gun carriages.

Completed chapter #4 with the deck planking done.
I do have to touch up some paintwork that was damaged during the decking.

Chapter #5 starts with the rudder and so I have to machine some pear wood and cut those pieces out to match the plans as I will not be using the laser cut parts.
388CCE2F-F636-429A-A754-F697B6A65639.thumb.jpeg.b961e3af5fd84a3fef85faef83643d82.jpeg
DC80A047-317B-48A7-B557-435C6BCC3CB0.thumb.jpeg.5b98e2f32e1951a340d36ce3754fb1a8.jpeg
00743D7B-1768-4861-9217-C745C9D190C8.thumb.jpeg.83cab969d2cb6aa403706e38e7fac432.jpeg

Thanks for the likes and kind comments.

I decided to go ahead and make the rudder trunk and seats as well as the two ladderways.
These are some really beautiful laser cut and etched parts that go together and look fantastic when finished.

BE40A9BA-BD4F-4DFC-BBEE-8BB003CF71CC.jpegEBB6328F-C75D-4ED8-9356-4BDB131CE767.jpeg

Hi

So I'm going to go ahead and start a build log of the Winchelsea, It will based off Syren's designs with a few modifications of my own.
My main reason for building her is because she was once captained by Pellew and I intend in the future to build another of his ships,
a 1:48 fully framed model of the 44 gun Razee Indefatigable and it would be great to have both models together in the same scale.
I will not be planking in AYC as I have a goodly stock of Castello Boxwood and prefer it on a model of this size, also stem/stern framing
and keel will be of Swiss Pear with other wood highlights, maybe I will use the cedar on things that wont be seen easily and use the fruitwood
gel stain to blend it with the boxwood to minimize usage.

Here is a link to the kit review that I did on SOS.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...frigate-pob-1-48-scale-syren-ship-model.8506/

I did purchase the Bulkheads and starter packages from Syren and will certainly be buying their cast resin set when they are available.
The first job I have started while waiting for planking to dry on Pegasus is to make a new build board for this "BIG" ship, it will be approx
38" long without rigging and will need good support while framing, planking and finishing, so I decided to go and buy another 'cheap'
5foot workbench from Harbor Freight for $100 and modify it to suit. First it was put together and lift casters added so that I can quickly move
and spin the bench whichever way I need it. Second was to add 4-foot T-tracks and a nice large 1/2" MDF buildboad to the top. Third was to
install the keel and bulkhead former holders ready for the backbone. The 4 drawers are great for holding parts/tools and the bottom shelf for
materials which keeps an entire build together on one table instead of being spread about my workshop.
Here is looking forward to an interesting build and I should start on the bulkheads later this week.

ben
View attachment 266819
Ben, I love the 5 foot work bench. Does Harbor Freight stock it or did you have to order it? Thanks, Magic Mike

Ben, I love the 5 foot work bench. Does Harbor Freight stock it or did you have to order it? Thanks, Magic Mike
Hi

Yeh - Harbor freight normally has these in stock, I waited until they had a coupon for them and got 40% off a couple of years ago.

I just viewed an email from Harbour Freight, and they have the same table on sale for $139.
The ad said the sale will continue until May 8th.

table.jpg

Today in Naval History - Naval / Maritime Events in History
31 May 1764 – Launch of HMS Winchelsea, a 32-gun fifth-rate Niger-class frigate of the Royal Navy

For more info about the real ship, please take a look here:

Back