HMS Winchelsea 1764, 32 gun Frigate 1:48, Syren Ship model by Trussben

Nice work very nice. Deck planking is a work of art Ben. From the deck pictures it is hard to tell how you handled the planking widths at the forward so could you post more pictures detailing the planking process or does the practicum explain the process.

Nice work very nice. Deck planking is a work of art Ben. From the deck pictures it is hard to tell how you handled the planking widths at the forward so could you post more pictures detailing the planking process or does the practicum explain the process.
Hi

So the Laser cut false deck that Syren supplied has 3 lines laser marked into it fore to aft on each side that gives you the position of each belt of planking, you then have to divide that up using tick strips just like I did with the hull planking so you get where every single plank will lie, and therefore get a nice moderate “curve” in the forward planking.
I’m afraid I don’t have more pictures of the process but it’s pretty straightforward if you follow the practicum.

Ben, your attention to detail is amazing. You have inspired me to move forward on two different models and try to match your workmanship. I am sure you have inspired several other members as well. Nicely done!!! Magic Mike

Back