HMS Winchelsea 1764, 32 gun Frigate 1:48, Syren Ship model by Trussben

To all readers, Ben is the one of us who built his model. He is doing a wonderful job, though.

From the SOS administration, I would ask you to keep all questions pertaining to the MSW (if there are any) in a private manner.

Thank you!

What is the thickness of the planking for this model?
Hi

Most of the hull planking is 3/64" thick, or 2 1/4" in full ship scale.
The wales are two layers of 3/64", and the black strake is one layer of 3/64" and a second of 1/32"
Hope that answers your question.

Thanks I did not see the instructions and have been working from the drawings so now it will be easer to build! Thank you

The instructions (more like a practicum!) are one of the best things about building a Syren model -or any kit designed by Chuck, they are really comprehensive and most of the thinking ahead has been done for you as well as probably the best descriptive step by step procedures for every element in the build process. You can even use them as a building guide for any similar model - not the specifics but as a general guide to accomplishing certain tasks… he definitely has a gift for technical writing and communication.

Im building this ship as well. Its a beautiful ship and Chucks instructions are great. I like being able to purchase what you need as you go.

I am building this model also and have just burned out the false keel an all the bulkheads as well as the keel. I was wondering if there are any plans for adding the masts and rigging ? I may want to do so and may need to make adaptations now for the mast.

Reactions: JGR
I don’t believe there are any plans for masting and rigging of the model but there are several other ships ( AOS Diana comes to mind ) that you could use I guess.

Both QGs were completed and the hull moldings and friezes were installed and if you look closely you will be able to see that the top most molding and scrolled volutes are supplied from Syren laser cut.
It’s now time to pay attention to the stern details.
933A4DE2-6FC5-4C1F-96C1-B959E1FCB67D.jpeg

7E866C11-181B-439C-BDFC-073E74F53B1B.jpeg

So working on the Transom details now, it was painted cerulean blue, the ports red and the timber heads flat black.

The laser etched transom moldings were cleaned of char and installed and then I installed the Counter moldings and the Frieze between them and started getting the lower counter ready for its frieze.11695860-3058-4E66-B240-5E38D7A690E4.jpeg

a nice view from this perspective - a little bit we can recognize the decals, but I guess this is because of the close up photos - is it possible (I am not so familar with handling of decals) to make them less shiny / to reduce the reflections?

Back