HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

The first six gun carriages for the upper deck for gun ports 1 through 3 have been assembled. The caps for the barrel trunnions were cut from thick paper strips using a ruler and razor knife. I guess junk mail is good for something after all. The strips were stained with black wood stain, and chopped into short segments with the razor chopper, then glued in place over the trunnions of the cannon barrels.

View attachment 348634

Strips are stained black to simulate iron and excess stain is wiped off with dirty smelly old sock... still useful.
View attachment 348635

The quoin and barrel is glued to the carriage with CA glue. The breeching line is made by first seizing an eyelet to one end, threading it through the ring one side, looping and gluing it around the cascabel, passing it through the ring on the opposite side, the seizing another eyelet on the end.
View attachment 348636

The line is glue to the sides of the carriage near the rear skids, then stiffened with PA glue and the line draped for realism.
View attachment 348637

The first 6 demi-culverin drakes are ready to install on the upper gun deck. Four of these are inside the forecastle.
View attachment 348638
Will you be putting the knobs on the backs of your quoins? I found some dark gray pins in the craft section of Walmart that had little knobs at the end I just cut them off and glued them into the triangular blocks of wood.

Despite suffering from Covid and feeling like hammered shit (can we say shit here? too late...), and being desperately bored, some work on the cannon carriages is being done. In answer to Vic's Super-Detailing Challenge, some very convincing quoin handles were made from some Falkonet 9mm belaying pins, which actually have the correct shape. Tiny hole were drilled in the back end of the quoins for six carriages, the belaying pins handles were cut and glued in the holes. If I get any smaller on detail, Vic, I'm going to need a new set of eyes.

1355 Added Handles to the Quoins.JPG

Anyone know where I can buy a cap for the paint cup on my airbrush? I'm tired of sloshing paint all over my desk!
Badger 150 Airbrush.jpg

Despite suffering from Covid and feeling like hammered shit (can we say shit here? too late...), and being desperately bored, some work on the cannon carriages is being done. In answer to Vic's Super-Detailing Challenge, some very convincing quoin handles were made from some Falkonet 9mm belaying pins, which actually have the correct shape. Tiny hole were drilled in the back end of the quoins for six carriages, the belaying pins handles were cut and glued in the holes. If I get any smaller on detail, Vic, I'm going to need a new set of eyes.

View attachment 350243

Anyone know where I can buy a cap for the paint cup on my airbrush? I'm tired of sloshing paint all over my desk!
View attachment 350249
I got a new set of eyes: 3.5 X reading glasses. My kids can call me Popeye!

Get well soon Kurt !

Amazon and Fleabay apparently a good source for paint jars with syphon feed. Just make sure it is compatible with you airbrush. Both mine are gravity fed so have no personal experience buying these

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the pestilence Get well soon. Hopefully you'll not end up struggling through the recovery period by ongoing exhaustion. Kia Kaha.

More guns were prepared for installation. This time, it's the four bow chase guns on the upper gun deck had breaching ropes and barrel trunnion caps installed.
The caps are made from thin strips of tagboard stained black.

Chopping paper trunnion caps
IMG_2100.jpg

Caps glued over trunnions
IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Second eyebolt on breeching line is seized after routing the line through rings and around cascabel.
IMG_2104.jpg

Do you have to soak the trunnion caps or does the glue wet them enough to form over the trunnions
No. They are paper, so they conform easily. The method used to glue them down is really simple. One of the trunnion caps is picked up by the edges using the small black tweezers, and touched to a drop of CA glue that was placed on the cutting mat. This wets the bottom of the part with glue. The cap is then placed over the trunnion on the carriage. The round end of flat craft pick of softwood was cut off and a shallow depression filed in the end, making a tool that is used to pressed and bend the paper cap over the trunnion. It holds it's shape well.

IMG_2113.jpg

Back