HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Dear Hans. It's great to hear from you! I would love to touch sides with you and hear what is happening on the Kolderstok front!
Well, I’ve got a partner in crime…

This kit was designed by Matthias Noback, and it is such a nice looking model I decided to start a collaboration wilth him for this model :)

This kit was designed by Matthias Noback, and it is such a nice looking model I decided to start a collaboration wilt him for this model :)
Great news Hans. I just saw and commented on @pingu57 Peter's build of the model. It looks like a very nice build, and I am sure it will be popular. Does this cross-section replace the plans for the development of a full Pinas kit?

Hello my dearest Don. Anna and I are both fine, my friend - thank you for asking. She is all tears tonight, because a stray cat that she has been looking after in her community (neighborhood) has gone missing. The cat did not live with her, but each night after she came home from work, he would follow her into her apartment where she gave him food and he often spent the night. Now she hasn't seen him for the last 5 days. Which makes me think - how is Moses?

I KNOW HOW SHE FEELS JUST LOVE ANIMALS MOSES IS WELL MOSES HE IS HUGE WEIGHS 20 POUNDS VET HAS HIM ON A STRICT DIET AND HE IS ONE UNHAPPY CAT RIGHT NOW BTW I HAVE ORDERED THE PINAS XSECTION IT IS ON THE WAY GREAT LOOKING KIT ANXIOUS TO GET IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
I am glad to hear that Moses is well - 20 lbs. sure is big! Congratulations on the cross-section, Don. I am sure you will enjoy it!

Dear Friends (I hope I still have the privilege of calling you that.)

The past number of months have been some of the most challenging in my life. With the grace of our Heavenly Father, it was fortunately not a case of ill health, death in the family or problematic relationships – no, it was simply a case of workload and added responsibilities related to my work.

Some of you may recall that I mentioned that a well-known international automotive company was setting up a production plant in Nantong and that we were vying for the privilege of accommodating their children in our school and that I was doing loads of preliminary work to facilitate that. Well, to cut a long story short, the parents chose one of the other “International Schools” only to find out a short while later that they had a made a grave mistake.

And that was when all hell broke loose. I had a month and a half to re-do our “sales pitch” rewrite our syllabi to accommodate the Brazilian and Swedish students and to incorporate their home curricula into ours. Then there were the practical implications of relocating the international department of the school to a different section in the building which have bigger classrooms, buying an additional 56-seater school bus, get permission from local government and the traffic department to implement new routes, advertise for, interview and appoint new teachers, etc, etc.

I realized that this was a 24/7 job if we were going to be ready in time and that there would be no room for any “me-time” or anything that pertained to hobbies, socializing and/or personal interests. It meant the end of all WB research, kayaking and – unfortunately – also SOS. To add to matters, I was also appointed as Academic Director of the International Department which also meant that the Mathematics-, Chemistry and Physics departments all became my responsibility too.

I know that I should have announced it on SOS, but decided to make clean break from everything. For my lack of communication, I apologize from my heart. For all the unanswered messages, concerns, PMs and the like, I can only say I am deeply sorry. The problem was that if I answered one, how could I not answer the others? I am by no means trying to justify my actions – just to inform you what happened.

Schools closed on Friday for the mid-year and Chinese New Year holidays, the students are settled in and have twee weeks of tuition under their belts, and, in retrospect, things have gone (reasonably) smoothly. Even though it is holidays, there is still no rest for the wicked as there are a few backlog things that need to be sorted out. However, for now I have the time to make contact with all my SOS friends – and to apologize once more.

I hope you can forgive me.

I still love you all!

H
No apologies need Heinrich. You can only do what you can do. I'll look forward to your postings as they happen and hope you are well and safe. Please take care!

Your welcome back speaks well of SoS as a "family". Nice to know all is well. I hope the workload returns to a sane level that allows you time to make the considerable contribution your personal interests make to the wider world beyond that of the daily grind. Yet the duties entrusted to you, depth and breadth of your contribution to the vital work you do for those dependent on your skills and expertise, speaks volumes about how indispensable you have become in that context.
You are to be much admired and emulated!

Pete

No apologies need Heinrich. You can only do what you can do. I'll look forward to your postings as they happen and hope you are well and safe. Please take care!
Thank you, Phil. the last few months and leading up into 2024 has been a rollercoaster for sure. I am really looking forward to spending some time on SOS.

Your welcome back speaks well of SoS as a "family". Nice to know all is well. I hope the workload returns to a sane level that allows you time to make the considerable contribution your personal interests make to the wider world beyond that of the daily grind. Yet the duties entrusted to you, depth and breadth of your contribution to the vital work you do for those dependent on your skills and expertise, speaks volumes about how indispensable you have become in that context.
You are to be much admired and emulated!

Pete
Hi Pete. Thank you so much for the very kind words - you make me blush. The satisfactory relocation of the students was a top priority - not only for the school per se, but much wider. Local government takes a very keen interest in foreign investment and the happiness of all foreigners in Nantong is of paramount importance to them. That obviously includes quality education for their children as most of the expats have 3-year contracts (at least). On an interesting note - it was fascinating to observe how the dynamics in the classroom changed - from a largely Asian base of Japanese and South Korean students in the International Section, the pendulum has swung in favor of Brazilian and Swedish students.

Welcome back Heinrich, We have missed your expertise on so many subjects. I was on the board of trustees for a Christian school for twenty years so I know how much work goes into running a quality program. Welcome back! Magic Mike
Thank you so much for the warm welcome back, Mike - you are too kind! Yes, my friend, as you well know. "quality" is the imperative word and to ensure that, takes a lot of time. As I have told @Peter Gutterman Pete, I had the added curveball of local government taking a very keen interest in proceedings and when I have to take into account that they are the ones who will have to approve my extended (beyond 60 years of age) work- and residence permits, it was best that I kept them happy. :)

This kit was designed by Matthias Noback, and it is such a nice looking model I decided to start a collaboration wilth him for this model :)
Hans and Heinrich, I just added the Pinas cross section to my "want" list!. Very nice! Magic Mike

Hi Pete. Thank you so much for the very kind words - you make me blush. The satisfactory relocation of the students was a top priority - not only for the school per se, but much wider. Local government takes a very keen interest in foreign investment and the happiness of all foreigners in Nantong is of paramount importance to them. That obviously includes quality education for their children as most of the expats have 3-year contracts (at least). On an interesting note - it was fascinating to observe how the dynamics in the classroom changed - from a largely Asian base of Japanese and South Korean students in the International Section, the pendulum has swung in favor of Brazilian and Swedish students.
It's People like yourself and the work you do that contribute to building world peace and international good will. Your expanded description of your work has given me far greater hope today than reading the Washington Post. Unfortunately, the kind of work you do, and your dedication don't make headlines. Thanks for doing it and filling us in. Thumbsup

I KNOW HOW SHE FEELS JUST LOVE ANIMALS MOSES IS WELL MOSES HE IS HUGE WEIGHS 20 POUNDS VET HAS HIM ON A STRICT DIET AND HE IS ONE UNHAPPY CAT RIGHT NOW BTW I HAVE ORDERED THE PINAS XSECTION IT IS ON THE WAY GREAT LOOKING KIT ANXIOUS TO GET IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
In that case you have one mighty cat Don, we have an American Ragdoll and that wil be about 18.5 Pounds.
And that is already HUGE

Back