H.M.S Minerva plank on frame 1/48 scale - Prototype Pilot Model

Brian, how does the Yellow Tang compare to boxwood in general? Not looking for specific Janka Hardness #s or anything, just your impression. Would it be a suitable substitute for boxwood, carving, similar applications?

I've looked for it online and can't seem to find anything like it. Closest wood I've found is Yellowheart, which I know is not the same.

Thanks,
Ken

jujube wood in North America it is called Buckthorn

you wll not find it commercially available because it is a small tree with big thorns

The Rhamnaceae family has a worldwide distribution, the family contains about 55 genera and 950 species so finding the exact type called golden tang would be difficult because it is regional.

it is also the tree said to have been used for the crown of thorns worn by Jesus.

Ziziphus species

Common, or European, buckthorn, and glossy buckthorn are the two non-native, invasive buckthorn species found in Minnesota.
These buckthorn species were first brought here from Europe as a popular hedging material. They became a nuisance plant, forming
dense thickets in forests, yards, parks and roadsides. They crowd out native plants and displace the native shrubs and small
trees in the mid-layer of the forest where many species of birds nest.

The wood was also the most favoured species to make charcoal for use in gunpowder before the development of modern propellants.

most likely the wood is in the genera family zizphus

Ziziphus jujuba and also called Chinese jujube

Ziziphus celata, commonly known as the Florida jujube or Florida ziziphus, is a terrestrial flowering plant endemic to central Florida.
Ziziphus celata is very nearly extinct.

Last edited:
Ziziphus jujuba and also called Chinese jujube

Ziziphus celata, commonly known as the Florida jujube or Florida ziziphus, is a terrestrial flowering plant endemic to central Florida.
Ziziphus celata is very nearly extinct.

i went out in the barn and found a sample of North American Zizphus it is not a golden yellow like Chinese jujube more like a pale orange, sitting on a normal clay flower pot so you can get an idea of color. Only know source is from wood collectors. Heavy and hard close to that of Boxwood.

DSCN1360.JPG

you may wonder where did i ever get Ziziphus jujuba answer from my brother who was a arboriculturist, a professional in the practice of arboriculture, which is the cultivation, management, and study of individual trees, shrubs, vines, and other perennial woody plants in dendrology and horticulture.
and no i have no clue where he got the sample.

i was in commerical and graphic arts for 28 years, left that and went into business with my brothers tree service business. When he passed away i got most of his library and wood collection. When we worked out in the field he always insisted we use the Latin names for trees and wood. I would say hey Roy nice Oak tree, he replied what? there are 72 different trees in the family which one are you talking about?

Hallo Brian,
and? after 6 weeks do you have any updates of your work on the model?
It would be interesting to see more of this promising kit
-> I am sure there are a lot of modelers, which are looking forward

Last edited:
Hallo Brian,
and? after 6 weeks do you have any updates of your work on the model?
It would be interesting to see more of this promising kit
-> I am sure there are a lot of modelers, which are looking forward

Hello Uwe, yes still waiting for another instalment of frames to be sent to me. I am very eager to resume this build.

Hello my fellow earthlings,
I am very pleased to receive the latest shipment of my H.M.S Minerva build. This is the second of 3 chapters for this kit. I am in the process of unpacking all the parts.
Everything is marked, numbered and separated into individual plastic bags for easy assembly. All the pieces are pre shaped, beveled and only need a minor sandpaper to clean things up.

Some photos below of chapter 2 of this model.

1663498741275.png1663389328867.png1663498813850.png1663207602636.png1663206630012.png1663124895139.png

HI BRIAN IT GETS BETTER AND BETTER, IS THAT A NEW JIG OR THE OLD ONE, CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THE FRAMES BEING BUILT, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THIS OUT THERE, THANKS DA HAI. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

HI BRIAN IT GETS BETTER AND BETTER, IS THAT A NEW JIG OR THE OLD ONE, CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THE FRAMES BEING BUILT, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THIS OUT THERE, THANKS DA HAI. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
The principle of his frame jig is the same as yours. Because it is a complete (full) kit (yours is a stern section), it cannot be the same as yours. His jigs only have temporary support.

1664297575387.png

1664297564623.png

Last edited:
Bryan,

be very precise with glueing the frames together and use a little bit of rubber cement also for the positioning of the frames on the templates.
The precision of the mill is much higher then, what you can do by hand. I does not know, if the frames are a little bit wider than necessary to egalize small tolerances later. If not you have to work as precise as possible because you do not have "meat" for shapeing the hull.

The design is looking great and I love the jig. It will be nice if they sell this seprate.

Yes - I agree with Christian, that this "frame-jig" is looking very promissing, but at the end I would like to try it out with all necessary moves......
Only than, I think, you know if this is working better, longer or more accurate than the own known procedure.
I am using usually only fixo-gum between the futtcoks etc. and the paper drawing - here I would have to fix 12 screws.....
I have to try this one
Definitely worth to check - it would be reall good, if this tool would be offered separately
The wooden element of the kit are looking superb - and I agree also here: you have to be more accurate with the alignment of the parts, because there is less meat for corrections

Back