Cheap Chinese Halcon speed build [COMPLETED BUILD]

I found some useful info in this YouTube video on how to stain basswood. Basswood is a common, cheap, softwood, and this Chinese mode of the Halcon is made of basswood. If I had known how to do a finish on basswood, the hull probably would not have turned to crap like it did. For those who are trying to build this kit, this information will be very helpful.

Ho guys, got told off for being rude, apologies gents
I didn't think anything you have said (typed) has been rude. But that's me and everyone is different. I'm sure whatever it was, you didn't mean to be rude and it was just taken that way by someone that didn't understand what you meant. However, better to apologize to make sure. :)

I found some useful info in this YouTube video on how to stain basswood. Basswood is a common, cheap, softwood, and this Chinese mode of the Halcon is made of basswood. If I had known how to do a finish on basswood, the hull probably would not have turned to crap like it did. For those who are trying to build this kit, this information will be very helpful.
Great video ! I think I'm still going to paint mine (if I ever complete my shop and start buiding again). :)

Day 34

The sequence in which lines are rigged has to be carefully considered so you don’t make an area of the model inaccessible before all the work is completed there. The rigging for the halyards for the foremast yardarms was begun. The halyards for the fore topsail and too gallant were not secured permanently to the yards, but were just lashed to the top of the mast, leaving extra line, so the decision of whether the yards will be positioned aloft or lowered for storage can be made later. Why? Because I’m not sure I can rig this schooner with sails or not at the scale, so I’m leaving the option open.

The rigging plan is similar to Lennarth Petersson’s plan in his book.
IMG_2810.jpeg

The fore course yard was simply hung from the masthead by a sling made with heavy black coat thread, without rigging a halyard. The topmast yard halyard is rigged with block and tackle to the deck on the port side and the fall is belayed to the rail on the bulwark as shown below.
IMG_2805.jpeg

The topsail yard is not secured to the halyard yet, but run up to the top of the mast.
IMG_2806.jpeg

For the top gallant yard, the yard is light enough to have its halyard belayed directly to the pinrail on the starboard side. First the line is secured to the pin with an overhand knot, then ran in one pass under the pin once it is inserted in the rail.
IMG_2807.jpeg

The halyard is then rove through the back of the mast, then through the ring on the yardarm, and tied temporarily to the top of the mast like the halyard for the topmast yard.
IMG_2808.jpeg

Progress so far. Rigging the lifts for the yards is probably next.
IMG_2809.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 34

The sequence in which lines are rigged has to be carefully considered so you don’t make an area of the model inaccessible before all the work is completed there. The rigging for the halyards for the foremast yardarms was begun. The halyards for the fore topsail and too gallant were not secured permanently to the yards, but were just lashed to the top of the mast, leaving extra line, so the decision of whether the yards will be positioned aloft or lowered for storage can be made later. Why? Because I’m not sure I can rig this schooner with sails or not at the scale, so I’m leaving the option open.

The rigging plan is similar to Lennarth Petersson’s plan in his book.
View attachment 422332

The fore course yard was simply hung from the masthead by a sling made with heavy black coat thread, without rigging a halyard. The topmast yard halyard is rigged with block and tackle to the deck on the port side and the fall is belayed to the rail on the bulwark as shown below.
View attachment 422333

The topsail yard is not secured to the halyard yet, but run up to the top of the mast.
View attachment 422334

For the top gallant yard, the yard is light enough to have its halyard belayed directly to the pinrail on the starboard side. First the line is secured to the pin with an overhand knot, then ran in one pass under the pin once it is inserted in the rail.
View attachment 422335

The halyard is then rove through the back of the mast, then through the ring on the yardarm, and tied temporarily to the top of the mast like the halyard for the topmast yard.
View attachment 422336

Progress so far. Rigging the lifts for the yards is probably next.
View attachment 422337
Outstanding work as usual Kurt. I have a bit of a conundrum with my rigging, I simply have so much info I don't know what to leave off and what to use.

Outstanding work as usual Kurt. I have a bit of a conundrum with my rigging, I simply have so much info I don't know what to leave off and what to use.
At this scale, some things need to be left out for simplicity's sake, such a the tackles on the foremast used for cargo operations. Putting those on would crowd the channels, because I'm not using line and blocks equal to scale. Gun tackles are left off for the same reason. What you chose to leave off needs to be considered carefully. On small scale ships, bowlines are often omitted. I am considering rigging the sails furled, so the rigging appears complete, but I have never rigged furled sails before, and at this scale, the challenge is particularly difficult in terms of making them realistic. Plus, there's the added research into learning what to do the sheet, clue, brace, and leech lines. Information on schooners is limited to Petersson's book and some well written threads on rigging them on Model Ship World forum.

Last edited:
At this scale, some things need to be left out for simplicity's sake, such a the tackles on the foremast used for cargo operations. Putting those on would crowd the channels, because I'm not using line and blocks equal to scale. Gun tackles are left off for the same reason. What you chose to leave off needs to be considered carefully. On small scale ships, bowlines are often omitted. I am considering rigging the sails furled, so the rigging appears complete, but I have never rigged furled sails before, and at this scale, the challenge is particularly difficult in terms of making them realistic. Plus, there's the added research into learning what to do the sheet, clue, brace, and leech lines. Information on schooners is limited to Petersson's book and some well written threads on rigging them on Model Ship World forum.
Yes, Peterson's book and some other stuff I downloaded are my primary sources, and as you stated careful consideration is required. This has primarily been an exercise in learning about rigging before I start my Harvey so the quest continues!

Day 3

The rudder is integral with the sternpost and comes in two pieces, with details laser etched.
View attachment 405728

The transom is glued to the ends of the bulwarks. The gap at the top edge will be covered up by the second layer of railing pieces later, as will the visible edge of the bulwarks.
View attachment 405729

The first half of the upper railing piece is attached on the starboard side after trimming the front end to the proper length.
View attachment 405730

To speed building, spots of CA glue are used to hold long parts like this railing between areas help by PVA glue. Using this trick, you don't need clamps because the parts are instantly held in place by the CA glue. This technique is also useful in planking a hull.
View attachment 405731

View attachment 405732

The final railing layer is added at the stern.
View attachment 405733

Strips of wood 3mm wide are cut from spare wood in the kit to make the counter.
View attachment 405734
I like that they gave you laser etched details on two pieces of the rudder assy so both sides would have them. The Harvey's is one piece and so only etched on one side:
Laser.jpg

I asked my daughter to copy that to the other side with one of her thinnest art pens (after testing the ink would not bleed with linseed oil):
Macias.jpg
I've been trying to get her to do the same inking of the hull side hinge brackets, but so far, no luck...

M.

Back