Cheap Chinese Halcon speed build [COMPLETED BUILD]

I stocked up on belaying pins about 2 years ago, when you could get them. They are made in Russia by Falkonet, the best manufacturer for smaller blocks and detailed parts. If you can find some, they are expensive at $7 for 20 belaying pins. Note that their 9mm are actually thinner in diameter than the 8mm long pins. The 9mm pins fin in the pinrails of the Chinese Halcon, but I have had to lightly file the shanks of some 8mm pins to fit using a flat diamond file, and save the 9mm pins for the other model.
HiS Models has some belaying pins that are 8mm in brass.

2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure, and the ever fun Yamaha TW200. The BMW is the two wheeled truck for moto-camping, and the T-Dub is of course the trail explorer. Sounds like you had a lot of fun in Japan. 600cc sounds like a perfect mix of power without heavy weight. I used to ride a 1939 DKW 3PS, then upgraded to a 1944 DKW NZ-350/1.

View attachment 427352

South Dakota goes on FOREVER
View attachment 427353

and EVER!
View attachment 427354
I love the kill markings. :D

Forever flat is what they make cruise control and audio books for.
Wife and I went to SD to see Crazy Horse monument and Custer Park.
Wanted to see Rushmore, but it was too crowded.

Last edited:
2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure, and the ever fun Yamaha TW200. The BMW is the two wheeled truck for moto-camping, and the T-Dub is of course the trail explorer. Sounds like you had a lot of fun in Japan. 600cc sounds like a perfect mix of power without heavy weight. I used to ride a 1939 DKW 3PS, then upgraded to a 1944 DKW NZ-350/1.

View attachment 427352

South Dakota goes on FOREVER
View attachment 427353

and EVER!
View attachment 427354
That BMW looks like a blast! Good on you, sir!

The 600 was fun also. It had enough torque to climb a tree. Not much top speed, but who needs it in mountain cut back roads in Japan? Also, kickstart only. It had a compression release since you were basically trying to kick over half a Harley! Took about 1 1/2 minutes to warm up and then would lift the front end up and launch.

It was super cool to ride in Japan since I would have a full-face helmet on, and no one knew that I was a foreigner. Where and when I lived there, we were all considered rock/movie stars. I saw school kids ride their bicycles into phone poles looking at me and not where they were going. The bike/helmet combo let me just be.

Last edited:
That BMW looks like a blast! Good on you, sir!

The 600 was fun also. It had enough torque to climb a tree. Not much top speed, but who needs it in mountain cut back roads in Japan? Also, kickstart only. It had a compression release since you were basically trying to kick over half a Harley! Took about 1 1/2 minutes to warm up and then would lift the front end up and launch.

It was supper cool to ride in Japan since I would have a full-face helmet on, and no one knew that I was a foreigner. Where and when I lived there, we were all considered rock/movie stars. I saw school kids ride their bicycles into phone poles looking at me and not where they were going. The bike/helmet combo let me just be.
Great times. The kickstart motorcycles always start as long as you don't flood them.

The smallest belaying pins are from @Dry-Dock Models & Parts
Those look awesome! I'll be measuring the Harvey to figure out which of the smallest two will be best.

Thanks!

Belaying pins were wood, right? And so I should just paint the brass miniature belaying pins? Or is there a better way?

M.

Last edited:
Great times. The kickstart motorcycles always start as long as you don't flood them.
Yep. Never had a problem with kicking it over. But since I bought it used off a lot I had no idea that the tires were so rotted. I nearly slid into an intersection while testing her out and needing to brake hard. She skidded! And left a bit of tire dust in a stripe behind!

Some new Dunlop's fixed that issue. And gave me a challenge... I have heard a "real" motorcyclist will wear off the little rubber spikes that are on the sides of new tires as they test how well they grip. I was never a good enough (or aggressive enough) rider to take off the last row. I'll leave that to the pros.

M.

Hi Kurt. Looking at the current state of your model, has made me question the way that I am sure many of us think. Here we have a super-cheap (and let's be honest - much maligned) kit which is in no way comparable in quality to the models that we prefer to build. With La Couronne you have invested tons of time to build a beautiful model whilst on SOTS you have invested the proverbial blood, sweat and tears in the quest for historical accuracy. ) Yet, the question remains: Did you enjoy those builds exponentially so much more than this one so that it justifies the prices we pay for those "dream" kits? Or, are those builds sometimes more of a frustration to us, because we simply expect so much more from those kits and ourselves?

As an added advantage, this model has allowed you the opportunity to be actually building in your current circumstances by being small enough and mobile enough to be taken with you as necessity dictates. With either of your two big ships, you would now have sat in your hotel room, twiddling your thumbs and ended up the next day at work in a bad mood, because there was no "relief valve", the night before.

As an example, the 1:50 scale model of the Harvey by Shicheng builds into a model that is almost 1-meter long and which retails in China for the equivalent of approximately 164 USD. At that price you can do an awful lot of kit-bashing - enough to satisfy the needs of the demanding builder or build it as it is and save yourself lots of money.

The fuzzy ropes are exactly what I mean. To the builder used to paying lots and lots of money for expensive kits and who have the knowledge that custom-made ropes are available, these ropes may be unacceptably fuzzy*. To the ordinary guy who spends 12 USD on a kit, it doesn't matter one iota. He wants something that he can build and can display - fuzzy ropes and all. To him it is about the ENJOYMENT he derives from BUILDING. Is that not the lesson that we should learn? I am sure that you thoroughly ENJOY/ED this build and, in my opinion, this build has highlighted your talents and skill sets just as much as your more expensive kits.

In summary, kudos to you for building this kit and kudos to the "cheap, Chinese Harvey/Halycon". Let's declare them an SOS icon!

*In some of those expensive kits, the ropes aren't much better! :)
This. And then again, THIS!

But now that I have been coloring and washing the breech ropes, I have a conundrum. I need to rig (eventually) all the running lines. And the pale thread that came with this kit will not do. And painting all those longer lines is off the table.

Do I just purchase another common thread color (they normally do not describe the diameter). Or go somewhere else?

Suggestions welcome!

M.

This. And then again, THIS!

But now that I have been coloring and washing the breech ropes, I have a conundrum. I need to rig (eventually) all the running lines. And the pale thread that came with this kit will not do. And painting all those longer lines is off the table.

Do I just purchase another common thread color (they normally do not describe the diameter). Or go somewhere else?

Suggestions welcome!

M.
Hello Mondrasek,

I just used common thread I had in inventory and didn't buy any thread just for this kit. The scale is so small that I just simplified things in the rigging by using dark brown heavy coat thread for the standing rigging and the thinnest tan thread I had for the running rigging. Didn't even bother measuring thread diameter. The thread wasn't the best quality but it still beats the thread from the kit, which is really more like yarn that thread. as you can see from the close up photos, it's fuzzy. I've already spent more than I bargained for using expensive small blocks and cannon barrels and other parts on this model. The kit came with no blocks, so there's no choice but to supply your own.

Thread is cheap. One can either spend a few dollars at the sewing store and buying a small spool of thread, enough to build 10 of these kits, or raid your wife's sewing box and use what you find there (REALLY cheap ;) ). My wife inherited my late mother's sewing thread collection and was begging me to take some of it off here hands, it was so much. Lots of needles and bobbins too.

Best wishes on your build!

Those look awesome! I'll be measuring the Harvey to figure out which of the smallest two will be best.

Thanks!

Belaying pins were wood, right? And so I should just paint the brass miniature belaying pins? Or is there a better way?

M.
Yes, real belaying pins are wood. They make handy clubs too if you're boarded. The thinnest wood ones are made by Falkonet in Russia, and are not available in the USA at present. If brass ones are browned with chemical "brass browning solution" that you can buy on Amazon, they look like wooden ones, plus they are far stronger, if you bump one, with won't snap off like the delicate wooden ones always seem to do when I get clumsy. Paint can work too. There are countless small upgrades that you can make to a kit to make it more detailed and improve its historical accuracy, so many that it's easy to end up scratch building the model to completion soon after you finish assembly the hull framework. How far you go dumping parts and money into the model is up to the builder. What matters is that you enjoy the build and like how it turns out. Thumbsup

Last edited:
Hello again HH. I enjoyed the more expensive kit more than this kit for a couple of reasons. One, the Chinese kit is crap in all respects except frame and parts fitup. The instructions are virtually nonexistent and the material is simple soft plywood. The laser cutting, however, is precise and it can be turned into a decent model by applying some experience and lots of replacement parts, but mostly because I am totally unfamiliar with schooner construction and have to research each and every aspect of the boat in each step. The small size forces one to select which rigging features need to be omitted because of access restrictions and to reduce costs in small, expensive blocks. The Halcon kit has depleted my stocks of belaying pins and some sizes of tiny blocks, and with Falkonet parts being as unobtainable, that is a great concern for me since it has impacted parts reserved for the Sovereign. It started as a build for something to do at the hotel, because my current job situation takes me out of State four days per week, cutting me off from work on the Sovereign and many family activities. Hopefully that situation will change in the future. Like you said, one box of tools/materials and a separate box for the model make the build portable.

As for the ever hated fuzz, you can't see it really, unless you get your nose right up in the rigging. It does look truly AWFUL in the photos. You have to keep in mind that the running rigging is made from my smallest diameter sewing thread, and not great quality thread at that. Its certainly not rope.

As someone whose primary inspiration comes from larger, older warships, a schooner is not my first choice for a model, but the boat is growing on me. I personally feel the money spent in the thousands of dollars for La Couronne and HMS Sovereign of the Seas was worth it, and most hobbyists who have a strong passion for what they build, no matter what it is, might agree because it simply makes them happy. The DeAgostini kits are some of the most expensive, suffer from lack of historical accuracy in several features, and do not have the quality hardwoods you find in companies such as Corel. They are aimed at less experienced builders, and the high cost comes from the detailed color, step-by-step, instructions. If you lack some skills, they are there to allow you to build a fantastic looking model while learning the skills as you build, and as such they have an important place in the model industry since they allow a total beginner to fast track to a very detailed first ship model. I believe all the expensive kits, with exception of a few such as the Caldercraft HMS Victory, lack full development of historically accurate features and, over time, have remained that way for decades. Updating the kits costs money that companies aren't willing too invest, and it would drive the kit price up even higher.

Am I happy with how the Chinese Halcon is coming along? Absolutely. You are right to say it's all about the joy of building in this case. It's been a practice piece and a research/learning exercise in a new type of vessel, and there were valuable lessons learned from it, but it will certainly not be my best model. If I wanted to build an accurate model of a Baltimore schooner, I wouldn't have started with this $12 thing! It is definitely not for beginners because of it's lack of instructions and tiny scale. It is raw material for the modeler with some experience to hone some skills on for hull planking, and the level of additional detail is up to the builder. The kit serves as an example of how much you can do with a simple model if you know where to take it.
This and Heinrich's comments combined are worth printing out and saving as mission statement for the ship model builder; what we're doing, why and ewhat to expect from ourselves and the models we produce Thumbs-Up. Well said, gentleman and thanks for the wisdom!:D

Pete

This and Heinrich's comments combined are worth printing out and saving as mission statement for the ship model builder; what we're doing, why and ewhat to expect from ourselves and the models we produce Thumbs-Up. Well said, gentleman and thanks for the wisdom!:D

Pete
The goal and purpose of the model builder vary from model to model. In our build logs, it does help to provide the reader with a statement up front as to why you are building the model, the level of details and cost you are putting into it, your level of experience, and how you want the ship to appear when you are done. If the readers know what the model is about, they can contribute advice to the builder to help achieve that vision or learn a few techniques from the build log to use if they are trying to achieve a similar effect on their model.

The goal and purpose of the model builder vary from model to model. In our build logs, it does help to provide the reader with a statement up front as to why you are building the model, the level of details and cost you are putting into it, your level of experience, and how you want the ship to appear when you are done. If the readers know what the model is about, they can contribute advice to the builder to help achieve that vision or learn a few techniques from the build log to use if they are trying to achieve a similar effect on their model.
Well said, Kurt. I also think that our original intentions at the start of a build may well develop/evolve as we go along. On my WB I had a very specific goal in mind when I started the build, but Pandora will be very much a case of starting off with a blank sheet of paper and then keeping an open mind as to where the build takes me without any preconceived objectives.

Well said, Kurt. I also think that our original intentions at the start of a build may well develop/evolve as we go along. On my WB I had a very specific goal in mind when I started the build, but Pandora will be very much a case of starting off with a blank sheet of paper and then keeping an open mind as to where the build takes me without any preconceived objectives.
Ha! Yep, yeah, and YES.

I had no idea this model project would consume so much time, yet alone inspire me to learn so much about model ships, real ship history, or $pend so much on bashing, when I first "impulse" purchased it on Amazon. Even now I feel guilty when I creep into the basement to work on her knowing right behind me is a cool wood kit of something else my girls gave me for Xmas that has not even had the plastic wrap removed from the box yet! I should really make that though. Maybe after the cannon are all decked? I mean, it can be another "stall" excuse for holding off on the rigging, right?

M.

Wow. I had a 1/96 Revell Cutty Sark with the same problem after my cat kindly relocated it onto the floor from where it was stored 6 feet up in a cupboard. I even managed to to find inspiration to re rig it and amazingly the cat still lived but we weren't on talking terms for some time . I might even have an old photo of it. The boat, not the cat.ROTF

Last edited:
This is fantastic build and a great build log Kurt. I have seen it pop up a few times and decided to view it from start to finish. I am only reiterating what others have said when I say your skill is very evident, any kit can be made into something special with time, patience and imagination and that enjoyment in building different kits for different reasons is what keeps us all going and furthering our skills. Hats off to you. I love too that a "speed build" is already up to 38 days. Cheers Davydd

Ha! Yep, yeah, and YES.

I had no idea this model project would consume so much time, yet alone inspire me to learn so much about model ships, real ship history, or $pend so much on bashing, when I first "impulse" purchased it on Amazon. Even now I feel guilty when I creep into the basement to work on her knowing right behind me is a cool wood kit of something else my girls gave me for Xmas that has not even had the plastic wrap removed from the box yet! I should really make that though. Maybe after the cannon are all decked? I mean, it can be another "stall" excuse for holding off on the rigging, right?

M.
Welcome the full realization that a model ship build is a long term ordeal! We all hope that it won't take much time to build, only to rig that final line years later. I thought this little schooner would take a couple weeks, then got mired in the details (because that's fun) and months later, here we are and it's still not finished. So much for the speedbuild. :D But then, one also realizes the fun was in the building, and sharing the build log on the forum brings in the socializing fun we all enjoy here. Isn't that why some of our builds costs thousands yet we still find them worthwhile? If there was some way to convey these realities to the beginners, but every beginner seems to have to learn these things on their own despite what they read here.

Last edited:
Hi Kurt. I am incredibly excited about this build of yours. I think the way this build has gone (and inherent to that are all the questions, comments, advice and tips) is incredibly relevant to model building as a whole, but in particular, to those who are starting out. This is so inspiring that I may just build a similar model in the distant future.

Hi Kurt. I am incredibly excited about this build of yours. I think the way this build has gone (and inherent to that are all the questions, comments, advice and tips) is incredibly relevant to model building as a whole, but in particular, to those who are starting out. This is so inspiring that I may just build a similar model in the distant future.
Strange, because I originally predicted a build log on this small kit wouldn't have even been noticed on the forum because of the nature of the kit. Funny that. It's turned into quite a conversation for many of us.

Back