Build log: HMS Fly [COMPLETED BUILD]

After reading your comments and watching several sail making videos, I decided to remove the sails I had installed and redo the whole thing. Made full size templates of sails to start then sewed along the lines. I Changed the thread color from white, as seen on the Spritsail, to tan, the Sprit Topsail and I think that looks better. Maybe a bit to dark. Any comments greatly appreciated. Attaching the bolt rope with fabric glue really worked well so I'm using that method again. Trying to sew it on was to difficult for me.

View attachment 364527
Good evening Charlie. What I love about this hobby is that we redo parts/processes which matter to us. I’m no sail maker so just go for it until you are happy. Cheers Grant

Good evening Charlie. What I love about this hobby is that we redo parts/processes which matter to us. I’m no sail maker so just go for it until you are happy. Cheers Grant
hey Grant. so far i’m happy. Started with an easy one. Probably will post results tomorrow.

Well the Sprit topsail came out better than I expected. I'm getting better working with the Singer. The stitches are almost straight. The Bolt rope is glued on with fabric glue which is strong, clear, and flexible. Glad I took all the comments to heart and started over. Next up the Spritsail.

HMS Fly 49.jpgHMS Fly 50.jpgHMS Fly 51.jpg

Back to step one, for the third time. I was working on the second sail when my singer kept jamming. Took it to the shop and they said the problem was thread size so I had to change thread to a smaller diameter. Tore everything out and started again because the thread color was different. One done and hopefully for the last time. On to sail #2.

HMS Fly 52.jpg

Back to step one, for the third time. I was working on the second sail when my singer kept jamming. Took it to the shop and they said the problem was thread size so I had to change thread to a smaller diameter. Tore everything out and started again because the thread color was different. One done and hopefully for the last time. On to sail #2.

View attachment 365168
Ugh. sorry to hear about the problem causing you to start over again ! I know my wife would have a heart attack if I used her sewing machine.
If/when I make sails, I'm sure I'll have to get my own machine.

Ugh. sorry to hear about the problem causing you to start over again ! I know my wife would have a heart attack if I used her sewing machine.
If/when I make sails, I'm sure I'll have to get my own machine.
The admiral wouldn’t let me use her machine either. got a Singer 1304 for $100. doesn’t do much but covers all my sail loft needs.

Took a break from sail making and started working on some of the small details. The kit doesn't have the anchor rigged to the cathead so I added that. Think I'll do the gunport lids next.
View attachment 367372View attachment 367373
Good morning Charlie. Awesome anchor detail! Your redo sails are looking great as well. Pity you could negotiate with the Admiral- her machine would probably be perfect. ;) This is good modelling. Cheers Grant

Back