Build log: HMS Fly [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Robert!

There is nothing to excuse. The ships "Bounty" and "Endeavour" are historically closely connected as well as their captains Cook and Bligh.

I wish you a wonderful turn of the year on your continent.
Thomas

Time to start working upwards. I used 1.0mm thread for the shrouds and .45mm for the lanyards. The kit supplies .10mm tan thread for the ratlines and says to stain them black with india ink. Didn't want to do that so searched Google for .10mm in black and found some in China. Took a while to get but now I have enough thread to rig the ratlines of an armada. This will take a few days. My back and arms can only handle about half an hour before I have to take a break.

HMS Fly 31.jpgHMS Fly 32.jpg

Shrouds and ratlines for the lower masts are completed. Knot tying kind of monotonous but I like doing ratlines. With this build I'm correcting mistakes I made on previous builds. Where the shrouds pairs wrap around the mast was a mess on my Pegasus, this time I think I got it right. Looks a lot more tidy.
HMS Fly 33.jpgHMS Fly 34.jpg

Not too long ago, I picked up the kit of the Fly. I'm looking forward to get going on it. I hope I can do half the job you have done on yours ! Your build is absoutely stunning !
It's going to be a while though, I have several kits ahead of it in the que. :)
Out of curiosity, what are your top three resources for research for this build?

Thanks in advance !

Jeff

Not too long ago, I picked up the kit of the Fly. I'm looking forward to get going on it. I hope I can do half the job you have done on yours ! Your build is absoutely stunning !
It's going to be a while though, I have several kits ahead of it in the que. :)
Out of curiosity, what are your top three resources for research for this build?

Thanks in advance !

Jeff
Hey Jeff
I had previously built HMS Pegasus which is 95% the same as Fly so I was able to look at my finished model as a reference. It's too late for me but the best source of "how to" would be Olha Batchvarov web site:
Check it out and you will be amazed at her videos. If you want to add sails get the book by Lennarth Peterson "Rigging Period Ship Models". Let me know when you start. Love to watch the build.
Charlie

Great work on the ratlines. I noticed some were skipped not going from full side to side, was this listed in the diagrams or state a purpose for this.

I have seen it done before, just don't know why it was done that way.

Great work on the ratlines. I noticed some were skipped not going from full side to side, was this listed in the diagrams or state a purpose for this.

I have seen it done before, just don't know why it was done that way.
If you are referring to the gap on a set of ratlines on the aft shroud, that's in the plans. If so I don't know why either.

tempImage1L5Aux.png

Hey Jeff
I had previously built HMS Pegasus which is 95% the same as Fly so I was able to look at my finished model as a reference. It's too late for me but the best source of "how to" would be Olha Batchvarov web site:
Check it out and you will be amazed at her videos. If you want to add sails get the book by Lennarth Peterson "Rigging Period Ship Models". Let me know when you start. Love to watch the build.
Charlie
Thanks !

I'm about as far as I can go installing standing rigging, shrouds, and stays before I have to glue the bowsprit on to finish that phase. All the lines are terminated with loose unglued connections. When all standing rigging is completed I'll carefully tighten each one to keep the masts in alignment. I leave the bowsprit off until the last possible minute because I have a habit of reaching across it and breaking off parts so next is the glue job on the bowsprit and them try to be more careful.

HMS Fly 40.jpgHMS Fly 41.jpgHMS Fly 42.jpg

I found the same to be true Charlie...with each advancement of the rigging the ship became increasingly vulnerable. Sometimes I remembered that - sometimes not. Your standing rigging looks great!

Back