Build log: HMS Fly [COMPLETED BUILD]

I'm about as far as I can go installing standing rigging, shrouds, and stays before I have to glue the bowsprit on to finish that phase. All the lines are terminated with loose unglued connections. When all standing rigging is completed I'll carefully tighten each one to keep the masts in alignment. I leave the bowsprit off until the last possible minute because I have a habit of reaching across it and breaking off parts so next is the glue job on the bowsprit and them try to be more careful.

View attachment 359417View attachment 359418View attachment 359419
Fabulous build Charlie , every ‘Fly’ in different outfit I like it !

I'm about as far as I can go installing standing rigging, shrouds, and stays before I have to glue the bowsprit on to finish that phase. All the lines are terminated with loose unglued connections. When all standing rigging is completed I'll carefully tighten each one to keep the masts in alignment. I leave the bowsprit off until the last possible minute because I have a habit of reaching across it and breaking off parts so next is the glue job on the bowsprit and them try to be more careful.

View attachment 359417View attachment 359418View attachment 359419
Good morning Charlie. Lovely work. The alignment is an interesting task. Especially the top gallant masts as these have some unforeseen flex. (well my Victory did). The forestays running to the bowsprit can impact these later. You clearly have some good preplanning done with the ropes labelled and ready on the pin board. :DA stunning Fly. Cheers Grant

Good morning Charlie. Lovely work. The alignment is an interesting task. Especially the top gallant masts as these have some unforeseen flex. (well my Victory did). The forestays running to the bowsprit can impact these later. You clearly have some good preplanning done with the ropes labelled and ready on the pin board. :DA stunning Fly. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant. Every so often I stop my builds and try to get organized. When I'm looking for something and can't find it and know I have it, time to regroup. Hate it when I go to the store for an item only to return and find i already have three.:)

Might be getting a little over my head trying to add sails. Even following Peterson's book the size of sails is giving me problems. I furled the Sprit Topsail and was OK with that. The Spritsail is a different matter. The horizontal dimension is set by the yard length but the vertical size is a mystery. What I wound up with looks like it would drag in the water when under sail. If anyone has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not against redoing the whole Spritsail if necessary. HMS Fly 43.jpgHMS Fly 44.jpgHMS Fly 45.jpgHMS Fly 46.jpgHMS Fly 47.jpg

Might be getting a little over my head trying to add sails. Even following Peterson's book the size of sails is giving me problems. I furled the Sprit Topsail and was OK with that. The Spritsail is a different matter. The horizontal dimension is set by the yard length but the vertical size is a mystery. What I wound up with looks like it would drag in the water when under sail. If anyone has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not against redoing the whole Spritsail if necessary. View attachment 362885View attachment 362886View attachment 362887View attachment 362888View attachment 362889
I agree with you, it does look a bit tall. The rest of the ship is a beauty !
I hope someone has some reference books that states the actual size of the sails.
Sea Watch Books has 3 of the 4 books on the Swan class ships (VOL 2, 3, & 4 ) but they are somewhat pricey.

Hope that helps !

Jeff

Last edited:
WOW! just caught up with this rigging post. very impressive work, something for me to think about should I ever get to enjoy rigging another ship. - cheers.

I agree with you, it does look a bit tall. The rest of the ship is a beauty !
I hope someone has some reference books that states the actual size of the sails.
Sea Watch Books has 3 of the 4 books on the Swan class ships (VOL 2, 3, & 4 ) but they are somewhat pricey.

Hope that helps !

Jeff
I have books I & IV. wish i knew which one I needed. Can’t afford more than one a year.

Hi Charlie. I have the series but I’m not certain of the details provided with regard to the size of the sails. If you can wait a bit (I’m on vacation) I’ll look when I get back home.
thanks appreciate the advice. The fore and mains are defined by spar length and distance between them so that should be OK. I’m in no rush so and will continue to read through my library while you enjoy your time off.

I have books I & IV. wish i knew which one I needed. Can’t afford more than one a year.
I believe that vol.2 is the second have of volume 1. I believe that volume 3 is about building a model of a Swan class ship. Look at the titles.
They also have an addendum to volume 4 for $5 USD that is digital. there should be some information in volume 4 about the spritsail as they have an addendum in there for it.
1678842286914.png

You should be able to figure out the correct dimensions for the spritsail since the drawing in the book is 1/96.

I believe that vol.2 is the second have of volume 1. I believe that volume 3 is about building a model of a Swan class ship. Look at the titles.
They also have an addendum to volume 4 for $5 USD that is digital. there should be some information in volume 4 about the spritsail as they have an addendum in there for it.
View attachment 362984

You should be able to figure out the correct dimensions for the spritsail since the drawing in the book is 1/96.
Thanks for the info. A great help in getting the right dimensions. Using your photo I came up with a sail that is 180mm x 95mm. Surprisingly I was only 10mm off. Now to decide if I want to redo the whole thing to adjust it by 10mm. Appreciate the help.

Spritsail .jpg

Very glad I was able to help ! :)
10 mm doesn't sound like much, but on your kit scale (1/64) is over 2 feet difference on the real ship.

After reading your comments and watching several sail making videos, I decided to remove the sails I had installed and redo the whole thing. Made full size templates of sails to start then sewed along the lines. I Changed the thread color from white, as seen on the Spritsail, to tan, the Sprit Topsail and I think that looks better. Maybe a bit to dark. Any comments greatly appreciated. Attaching the bolt rope with fabric glue really worked well so I'm using that method again. Trying to sew it on was to difficult for me.

HMS Fly 48.jpg

Back