Build log: HMS Fly [COMPLETED BUILD]

Bowsprit assembly completed. I added thimbles to each side of the bowsprit for running the buntlines from the spritsail to the belay points on the bow. I'll set aside the assembly until the masts are installed before I glue it in. I have a bad habit of breaking things off that stick out in the open while reaching for tools, glue, etc. Next I'll try to find a good place to add belay pin racks.

View attachment 340948View attachment 340949View attachment 340950View attachment 340953
Good morning Charlie. Brilliant work. Yep those parts that stick out. I am surprised my Yards, bowsprit, flag pole etc are still intact. They have some abuse for sureROTF. Cheers Grant

It's been slow going. Lots of research on rigging sails. Made a change to the blocks on the foretop. The bunt lines and leech lines from the Fore Course run through double blocks so I made a change from singles to doubles. About ready to glue in foremast and start working on the shrouds. Because they loop over the top of the mast I won't install the Fore Topmast until the shrouds are done then work my way up the mast.

Fly.jpg
Drawing from "Rigging period ship models" by Lennarth Petersson.

HMS Fly 24.jpg

HMS Fly 25.jpg

It's been slow going. Lots of research on rigging sails. Made a change to the blocks on the foretop. The bunt lines and leech lines from the Fore Course run through double blocks so I made a change from singles to doubles. About ready to glue in foremast and start working on the shrouds. Because they loop over the top of the mast I won't install the Fore Topmast until the shrouds are done then work my way up the mast.

View attachment 344216
Drawing from "Rigging period ship models" by Lennarth Petersson.

View attachment 344214

View attachment 344215
Good afternoon Charlie. The mast and the bindings (interesting the Fly used rope bindings. I think they look way better than the metal of the Victory) are really good. Ahh …those blocks below the top- they were called many names when I was rigging them. Fun. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Charlie. The mast and the bindings (interesting the Fly used rope bindings. I think they look way better than the metal of the Victory) are really good. Ahh …those blocks below the top- they were called many names when I was rigging them. Fun. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant - It's been really difficult trying to be historically accurate so decided to just go with what appeals to me.

My masts are now glued into the hull but the rest of the structures are just fitted, no glue. Have to remove the upper sections to make the shrouds easier to install. Lots of extra double sheave blocks installed to handle the sail rigging.

I discovered my last ship had the shrouds incorrectly installed. "Rigging period ship models" by Lennarth Petersson shows them in pairs. I did them in singles which doubled the number of loops around the mast and made a large jumble of rope around the mast. Will correct it this time. I need to pay closer attention to the instructions.

Shrouds.jpg

Here is where I currently am. Shrouds are next.

HMS Fly 26.jpgHMS Fly 27.jpgHMS Fly 28.jpgHMS Fly 29.jpg

My masts are now glued into the hull but the rest of the structures are just fitted, no glue. Have to remove the upper sections to make the shrouds easier to install. Lots of extra double sheave blocks installed to handle the sail rigging.

I discovered my last ship had the shrouds incorrectly installed. "Rigging period ship models" by Lennarth Petersson shows them in pairs. I did them in singles which doubled the number of loops around the mast and made a large jumble of rope around the mast. Will correct it this time. I need to pay closer attention to the instructions.

View attachment 347585

Here is where I currently am. Shrouds are next.

View attachment 347587View attachment 347588View attachment 347589View attachment 347591
Good morning Charlie. Hope you had a good Christmas. That is stunning work. Cheers Grant

Working on the shrouds. All the kits I've seen have tan deadeyes and lanyards. I've been on HMS Victory, USS Constitution, and my son checked out HMS Surprise for me and they all have black deadeyes and lanyards so I went with black.

View attachment 348364
Very valid point Charlie , the photographs taken of the HMS Bounty ( replica) in Sydney , Maritime Museum , actually I might change the shrouds etc as well , more authentic

602E6F1C-3689-4175-A8ED-C214248ED00F.jpeg

2A731788-1ABB-4972-9060-9F70A1FE317C.jpeg

Been following your build. Very nice. Interesting to see how other people deck out their builds. Thanks for the photos. Must be great to be able to visit a ship you are actually building. Bet Bounty is in your future.

Back