Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

So, the upper framing (at the bow end) has been temp set aside. I am pre-installing Knee #3 eye bolts When all the knees have tackle attached, the upper frame can be glued in. The second picture shows the Knee temp held in place for now. (I know the truck wheels are not round - they came like that in kit - I was lazy and did not feel like rounding them off - besides if I did, a considerable amount of wood would have been removed to make them round - its the larger close up image that makes it look so noticeable).

upper-deck-framing-16.jpg

upper-deck-framing-15.jpg

Thank you all for the likes.

I have now finished the rigging on the knees at the bow. I think doing this ahead should make things easier to manage when it comes time to finish the upper framing.

upper-deck-framing-17.jpg

thank you Uwe and others. That means a lot.

So, I glued the #1 Knee (at the bow) to the Upper Frame as it will be very difficult getting the Knee into position if the Upper Frame is already installed.

upper-deck-framing-18.jpg

upper-deck-framing-19.jpg

So, at this time now, I decided to install the Upper Frame assembly at the bow, then proceed with installing the Knees that have the Cannon Rigging. The images are not that great as the angles are hard to capture. Needless to say, trying to hold the Knees with tweezers and position them in the correct way is a little of a challenge.

upper-deck-framing-20.jpg

upper-deck-framing-21.jpg

Now having something like this would do the job of capturing images (from Micro Mark)

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 20-49-14 Micro-Mark FlexCam Set.png

Last edited:
Thank you - al the comments are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: NOTE MARCH 5, 2023:
Please take note to be very mindful of the location of the eyebolts spacing to the Cannon Port Opening. If the Eye Bolts are spaced too far from the Cannon Port Openings, then they will be IN THE WAY of the Knees. The knee with rigging has been highlighted in this photo.

upper-deck-framing-25.jpg

I have finished (as much as I could the Bow Upper Framing. It is now time to move on to the aft Upper Framing. The same treatment for the Knees is here for prepping the rigging. (When all of this is done, the Waterways will be installed next).

upper-deck-framing-26.jpg

upper-deck-framing-27.jpg

The AFT of Midship Knees placement drawing (to me) can get a little confusing. So, if you wish, I suggest making this simple modification to that drawing. With the "WALL" and "REAR ROOM" not shown on the original, it is easy (for me) to get a little disoriented and lose your place.

Therefore, here is my drawing modification (addition) to make things a little more clear. I COLOR IN the Knees with RED as I progress along. I hope this helps someone with this step.

RED = Knees
GREEN = Cannon / Carriages
BLUE = Rooms and mast openings.

upper-deck-framing-28.jpg

Looking Ahead !!!

I find another "potential" mistake lurking if I was not careful. I am almost finished with the Knees. However, I thought I would look ahead at the installation of the Waterway. The Waterway must be beveled. The lower edge that lays flat on the beams must be 2 mm thick so that the Binding Strakes will be the same height. The Binding Strakes are 2 mm thick. So both must match. I "almost" filed down too much, but I stopped just at the right height. The manual DOES say, to file or sand down to 2 mm, but since I am easily distracted, I overlooked that part of the manual. Too much emphasis or graphics can be just as bad as too little, as I was focused on one particular graphic and not paying attention.

The image below is ONLY representative. The Binding Strake may NOT necessary be in this position. I am ONLY showing the mating aspects of the Waterway and the Binding Strake in this example.

upper-deck-framing-30.jpg

upper-deck-framing-29.jpg

You have done an incredible amount of work since I last looked in, Donnie. And it all looks spectacular. I agree with the previous opinion that you must be enjoying this build - it is clear from your progress and immaculate results. Keep going!

Back