Artisania Latina - New Kit - Santisima Trinidad

Most of the AL kits instructions now are on cd-rom included in the kit but ALL are downloadable from the AL website. I haven't built an AL kit to date and was put off by way of the instructions on cd as I like my paper plans etc.. however I went onto AL website and downloaded a few plans (all free) to see what I made of their instructions, I found them very easy to follow and all with coloured pictures for guidance and measurements to boot.
Then as if by chance I got a great deal on AL L'Hermione la fayette kit Brand new which I couldn't refuse so I downloaded and double checked the instructions they were all easy to follow, now the kit is sitting in my stash awaiting the Dockyard. So maybe you could do the same checkout the downloadable instructions of a kit your interested in before you buy to make sure you can follow them OK
And you can print all or portions of the instructions. Another thing - there is usually videos of certain tutorials for the build on the CD's

That is some very sound reasoning, Nigel ROTF You knew you were going to do it!

Yeah ROTFand they had a promo on which included the complete model specific paint set for the kit for free. I am going to paint this model, I would like to build one wooden ship in my lifetime following the instructions, albeit replacing rope and blocks. I do plan on an almost tutorial style build log, any minor alterations from from instructions will be highlighted, just something that can be used as a tool for others building the model.

Many of my builds have almost been a money no object bashing project, the additional timber costing the same as the original kit.My challenge to myself is to produce a model as nice as Caldercraft's Victory for the same as the retail price of the Victory kit. This does not leave me much room for manoeuvre. Something rather different to my normal projects, my main focus is going to be on fit and final finish quality. Little if any exotic hardwoods, no coloured veneer, but I will be keeping tabs on costs and time expended:oops:. Like I say, completely different to my other work........

Artesania's instructions have been touched on. I have downloaded all 14! separate files for this model, probably amounting to 500 pages! No CD is supplied is or is necessary.

Well,full marks to Artesania for delivery efficiency, ordered late Tuesday night and my package arrived this morning at my workplace! I did pay the additional 8 Euros for express delivery.That is quicker than Royal Mail with local deliveries. All intact, I will post a review over the weekend, parcel currently hiding in my car boot waiting for the right moment to sneak in past my other half;)

Well,full marks to Artesania for delivery efficiency, ordered late Tuesday night and my package arrived this morning at my workplace! I did pay the additional 8 Euros for express delivery.That is quicker than Royal Mail with local deliveries. All intact, I will post a review over the weekend, parcel currently hiding in my car boot waiting for the right moment to sneak in past my other half;)
If you know a trick for sneaking it past your wife, please share. lol

The way I see it is it is a way to preserve one's mental sanity. The more boat kits you buy the more mentally stable one will be. That seems like reasonable logic, doesn't it?
:rolleyes:
Definitely no matter what your hobby is it's a must in life to do what we want to outside work,
Mentally and physically therapeutic which in the wider scheme of things can be big barrier against depression going through the rest of your life wishing you had done this or that. Sure there is a balance between this and our families but it is essential for everyone.

Definitely no matter what your hobby is it's a must in life to do what we want to outside work,
Mentally and physically therapeutic which in the wider scheme of things can be big barrier against depression going through the rest of your life wishing you had done this or that. Sure there is a balance between this and our families but it is essential for everyone.
exactly. I agree 100%.

Agree with all of the above, my Wife has her money and I have mine. We don't do the Xmas and Birthday presents, we just buy what we like when we want, obviously provided we can afford it.

I have many modelling projects and find that works for me as my mind is at 200 mph in my day job, so need plenty of other stuff to think about when I get home otherwise I mull work stuff over which is not healthy. I have projects I may never complete but that does not bother me, I get little satisfaction from looking at my completed models, the pleasure for me is the journey, a bit like life really.

Agree with all of the above, my Wife has her money and I have mine. We don't do the Xmas and Birthday presents, we just buy what we like when we want, obviously provided we can afford it.

I have many modelling projects and find that works for me as my mind is at 200 mph in my day job, so need plenty of other stuff to think about when I get home otherwise I mull work stuff over which is not healthy. I have projects I may never complete but that does not bother me, I get little satisfaction from looking at my completed models, the pleasure for me is the journey, a bit like life really.
Same here. I have many projects on the go, but I am in no hurry to finish any of them as I am retired.

Same here. I have many projects on the go, but I am in no hurry to finish any of them as I am retired.
Really if I had pushed myself I probably could have finished the Bismarck much more quickly, but I get bored of doing the same thing for too long, so I switch to other interests that I have and flipflop back and forth.

Same here regards Xmas more or less, we get each other a gift but nothing overboard as we buy what we want also again provided we can afford it regards especially nowadays to ridiculous cost of living.
I have a lot of kits in my stash waiting to get started but a "planned" big house refurbishment has stalled this atm which is nearly at an end.
Work wise I learned a long time ago to switch off after finishing work. I used to do more than my fare share without any thanks until I ended up having a Heart operation because of it, yes I learned the hard way, but I've been given a second chance in life and aim to live it my way and not for a company. The pleasure for me is the journey of our great hobby in research, buying, building and sometimes Sadness when your reaching the end of build, but oh what great journey each project is...

Last edited:
Yeah ROTFand they had a promo on which included the complete model specific paint set for the kit for free. I am going to paint this model, I would like to build one wooden ship in my lifetime following the instructions, albeit replacing rope and blocks. I do plan on an almost tutorial style build log, any minor alterations from from instructions will be highlighted, just something that can be used as a tool for others building the model.

Many of my builds have almost been a money no object bashing project, the additional timber costing the same as the original kit.My challenge to myself is to produce a model as nice as Caldercraft's Victory for the same as the retail price of the Victory kit. This does not leave me much room for manoeuvre. Something rather different to my normal projects, my main focus is going to be on fit and final finish quality. Little if any exotic hardwoods, no coloured veneer, but I will be keeping tabs on costs and time expended:oops:. Like I say, completely different to my other work........

Artesania's instructions have been touched on. I have downloaded all 14! separate files for this model, probably amounting to 500 pages! No CD is supplied is or is necessary.
I have mentally bookmarked these sentiments for when you might eventually say: "you know, bubinga would look nice on the gunwales!"

Back