Artisania Latina - New Kit - Santisima Trinidad

Just watched the Promo and Unboxing video a few times and I would agree that this is a more highly detailed kit and much more pleasing on the eye than Occre's. I would also agree with the above comments regards to the Carronade blocks being out of scale, the Figurehead while nicely detailed could be improved especially facially wise as well as the lions above the quarter galleries but as Dariv said this could be delicately done with a dremel.
I think my only real concern is with the smaller dummy Cannons as the look just like stub(if anyone can remember Revell's Bon homme Richard ship they'll know what I mean) poorly imho detailed compared to the full Cannons.
That said I think value wise this looks bang on the money considering the highly detailed complexity of the Hull and the open galleries give you an option not just for lighting but for decorative Cabin works.

As with all kits I just wish they would open all decks with full Cannons throughout and do away with the dummies and also wooden lifeboats instead of cast metal considering we are parting with a lot of hard earned cash.

Proof will be in the purchase by someone and hopefully a build log to follow.

Should be interesting to compare its version to the one by Occre.

OCCRE's version based on the ship replica and lack of deep insight research on the ship.
I just finished to inspect artesania's santisima manual and it much more detailed and clear to understand so ot's a big plus

Last edited:
This kit surpasses the OcCre kit in historical rigor and detail.
The Spanish ships of that time did not carry carronades. They carried what in Spanish we call 'obus'. similar to the carronade but with another mount.

Greetings ;)

aparejos-obus-naval.gif

Last edited:
By the way, OcCre announces a new launch for October 21. Does that date sound familiar to you?:cool:

View attachment 395505
Interesting
It is the Trafalgar day - they have already the Santissima, the Montanes and the Ildefonso in their program, so one other ship of the line from spain maybe
so maybe the San Juan Nepomuceno or Bahama which were also captured

"limitata" - seems, that the new model is limited edition with 999 models

only the blocks for the gun tackles are "slightly" too big
Hello to all,
we would like to clarify that we had a stock problem when the prototype of Santisima Trinidad was being built and undesired size for the cannons rigging blocks was used.
In production, the kit includes 3 mm blocks and double blocks for this, smaller than the ones shown in the pictures and videos.
Best regards from Spain.

Hello to all,
we would like to clarify that we had a stock problem when the prototype of Santisima Trinidad was being built and undesired size for the cannons rigging blocks was used.
In production, the kit includes 3 mm blocks and double blocks for this, smaller than the ones shown in the pictures and videos.
Best regards from Spain.
These are good news - it is everytime good, when a manufacturer is improving their models -> BRAVO
and BTW: a warm welcome here on board of our forum - we are very happy, that you are now a part of our membership
Hope to hear and see also in future your new devolpments and to get direct information about your products

Hello to all,
Best regards from Spain.
I must say , I'm currently building OCCRE's Santísima Trinidad and seeing your launch for this model gave me the desire to build your model for the comparison some day.

Cheers
Guy

Even if you use 1.5mm single and double sheave blocks for the gun tackles, they would still be too large, so use the smallest blocks you can get.
Off course as a kit manufacturer you have everytime the problem, to make a model as accurate as possible (also in scale), but on the other hand you have to think about the customer and modeler - not everybody is able to handle and rig such smallest possible blocks, -> Often a kit manufacturer (and developer) has to make compromises
and the scale purist or maximum kit basher who is building this model will anyhow change something, like the rigging lines and also blocks - a kit has to be produced for the 90% of normal modelers .......

Off course as a kit manufacturer you have everytime the problem, to make a model as accurate as possible (also in scale), but on the other hand you have to think about the customer and modeler - not everybody is able to handle and rig such smallest possible blocks, -> Often a kit manufacturer (and developer) has to make compromises
and the scale purist or maximum kit basher who is building this model will anyhow change something, like the rigging lines and also blocks - a kit has to be produced for the 90% of normal modelers .......
Yeah, but as a practiced kit basher, it would be nice to find one kit of a ship in my century of interest that didn’t require you to replace EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
Yeah, but as a practiced kit bashed, it would be nice to find one kit of a ship in my century of interest that didn’t require you to replace EVERYTHING.
Living in a dream...If you are at the point where you have to replace most of the parts, most likely it is time to scratch build.

Yeah, but as a practiced kit bashed, it would be nice to find one kit of a ship in my century of interest that didn’t require you to replace EVERYTHING.

I certainly do not think you have to replace everything in this kit Kurt

We both bash kits but your idea of a perfect kit may differ to mine so it is a case you can't please everyone all of the time. The majority of those that build these models are content with the kit parts so a price hike for non generic components would mean more lost sales for the manufacturer rendering the product a poor business decision.

One question, if there was a perfect kit, would you buy it and if you did, would you leave it stock?

I would never build Caldercraft's Victory for that reason, whilst not perfect, it is simply too good that the changes I would make would be hardly distinguishable from all the other models built from the same kit OOTB.

Hello to all,
Best regards from Spain.

Welcome to the forum

Can I take this opportunity to applaud you for the hard work you put into your instructions. Whilst I have been modelling for many years, I feel the step by step photographs you use mean that even you more complex models can be successfully completed by those with far less experience than myself. Your approach encourages people to take up the hobby rather than put them off

Great Work!

Welcome to the forum

Can I take this opportunity to applaud you for the hard work you put into your instructions. Whilst I have been modelling for many years, I feel the step by step photographs you use mean that even you more complex models can be successfully completed by those with far less experience than myself. Your approach encourages people to take up the hobby rather than put them off

Great Work!
Thank you for your comments.

We understand that some classic modelers come from "give me a set of plans and leave me alone" school, and we take and accept the critics, but we feel that for most people today a really detailed step by step is a far superior guide and help to complete a model. No other manufacturer puts together a super detailed guide with over 800 pages and thousands of pictures covering the complete assembly from the first to the last piece of the model, no plans are needed with this kind of instructions. Lately we're even changing pictures for complete video instructions, showing how to do it, not just what you have to do. We feel this helps to this hobby.

We wouldn't recommend a model of this size to someone inexperienced, but the fact is that anyone with a minimum of skill and patience can follow the assembly guide and will be able to assemble it.

Welcome to the forum

Great Work!
I fully agree with your words

I'll jump in with a commendation as well. I purchased the Vasa from ModelSpace/DeAgostini and needed a few of the castings. I contacted Artesania Latina (who now offers what is essentially the same kit) and they were helpful in getting me replacement parts. The cost was very reasonable and an indication of their interest in supporting a new builder even though the original purchase was not from them.

@Artesania Latina - just for fun, here is a link to my completed Vasa (the castings are from the kit and painted following your painting guide - the rest of the model has been modified from the kit): https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-1-65-deagostini-completed-build.5904/post-287632

I agree that the instructions you provide are beyond the norm. Personally, I would also appreciate ship plans...

Last edited:
I certainly do not think you have to replace everything in this kit Kurt

We both bash kits but your idea of a perfect kit may differ to mine so it is a case you can't please everyone all of the time. The majority of those that build these models are content with the kit parts so a price hike for non generic components would mean more lost sales for the manufacturer rendering the product a poor business decision.

One question, if there was a perfect kit, would you buy it and if you did, would you leave it stock?

I would never build Caldercraft's Victory for that reason, whilst not perfect, it is simply too good that the changes I would make would be hardly distinguishable from all the other models built from the same kit OOTB.
Caldercraft Victory is one of the few exceptions (and it’s not 17th century BTW). Chuck’s Winchelsea is probably another (never built that). Pavel Nikitin’s Norse longship is one also. Still, the list is small.

DeAgostini still leads in providing a kit with instructions tailored for the beginner with no experience planking and rigging in particular. As Paul said, DeAgostini doesn’t provide technical drawings or a schematic showing the entire model, which most of us, builders with some experience, are familiar with and in many cases prefer. To expand desirability of their kits, DeAgostini should add a large set of technical drawings to their kits, if for no other reason other than to serve as a cool poster for the wall. :D

Back