Artisania Latina - New Kit - Santisima Trinidad

AL, I would like to ask you:

Why is it that a new kit, such as this Sanitisima Trinidad, can be so uniformly excellent in both scale and detail, while your offering for Soleil Royal is so uneven in both scale and detail?

Naturally, I realize that no plans or even coherent full portraits of the ship exist. There are, however, a number of really excellent 17th Century monographs of French ships of the 1680s and 90s in circulation.

I am by no means suggesting one should copy those monographs from whole cloth and market the end product as Soleil Royal. They are highly instructive, though, of what a ship like SR would have likely looked like. Why not consult those sources while designing the kit?

I will give credit where credit is due: the kit castings for the bow and stern ornamental work are uniformly excellent. As it turns out, the kit bulkheads are also very representative.

On the other hand, the hull is far too short, the sheer too flat and the deck furniture cartoonishly simplified and out of scale. For the money at stake, I just think the product should be better.

What say you, AL?

Here Here,
I think your model instructions are really good. They show that your workers put attention to detail in their workmanship. I was a technical writer amd sloppy work is easy to spot.
YOU GUYS DO GOOD WORK.
Bill

Prices are going out of this world anymore. I'm so glad that I got my stash built up back when I could afford this stuff. This model sure looks great but it's cost is way beyond my meager budget. Having the sails as part of the kit is a nice touch even if you don't use them.

Prices are going out of this world anymore. I'm so glad that I got my stash built up back when I could afford this stuff. This model sure looks great but it's cost is way beyond my meager budget. Having the sails as part of the kit is a nice touch even if you don't use them.
me too.

When you know that most of out kits are made out of country ,it's nice to know that the manufacturers are on this site and taking our comments seriously. I also would like to tender a warm welcome to Artesania Latina to this forum. It's very nice to have them with us. Hope we don't wear them out with all our questions. Pete

The price of this 3-decker model is in the same range like Artesanias Vasa, Santa Ana, Soleil Royal - all in a smiliar scale.
and cheaper, than several kits from Corel etc.
This kit will find her customers - especially because it is a new developed kit in good quality (see the unboxing) ......
I am looking forward to see a kit review and the first building log ....

The price of this 3-decker model is in the same range like Artesanias Vasa, Santa Ana, Soleil Royal - all in a smiliar scale.
and cheaper, than several kits from Corel etc.
This kit will find her customers - especially because it is a new developed kit in good quality (see the unboxing) ......
I am looking forward to see a kit review and the first building log ....
As am I. I love the look of it.

I'm building the OcCre kit, and when I saw the Artesania Latina kit my balls have fallen to the ground. The difference is enormous between one and the other.

greetings ;)
Occre makes a "limited edition" from deagostini of HMS Victory. But Artesania Latina also makes this model of HMS Victory and it will be available soon. It's just better to wait and buy new ones, old models are not very detailed.

I'm building the OcCre kit, and when I saw the Artesania Latina kit my balls have fallen to the ground. The difference is enormous between one and the other.

greetings ;)
Santisima Trinidad is the first big model Occre people really designed when they started their business after leaving Artesania Latina around 20 years ago. It's not that they have changed a lot the way they make models, but you can expect a difference between a 2023 model and a model with around 20 years.

I have just ordered this kit direct from Artesania in Spain. I will post a review when it lands but it will be good while before I start it. Looking at the prices of Soleil Royal in the UK now, it makes sense to buy sooner rather than later.

I have just ordered this kit direct from Artesania in Spain. I will post a review when it lands but it will be good while before I start it. Looking at the prices of Soleil Royal in the UK now, it makes sense to buy sooner rather than later.
I have about 5 kits that I have not opened yet. They are all plank on bulkhead models. I still have yet to try a POF model, but eventually I will; once I find one I like. I buy when they are on special. It just makes more sense for me to do it this way. Maybe I might purchase the AL ST kit in the future. I don't know yet. Anyways, looking forward to your open box review.

Namely:
Occre ST
Occre Montanes
Model Shipway Constitution
Vanguard Models Sphinx
ZHL Soleil Royal

In the distant past, with the old Artesian Latina, they had a Victory model. I had purchased it and found the instructions so horrible that I sold the kit because I couldn't follow along. I am a little wary of AL kits because of that experience. Maybe if I tackled it now it would be less stressful, because at the time I was new to this hobby and didn't know what the heck I was doing. I still don't but I am a little better than before.

Last edited:
I have about 5 kits that I have not opened yet. They are all plank on bulkhead models. I still have yet to try a POF model, but eventually I will; once I find one I like. I buy when they are on special. It just makes more sense for me to do it this way. Maybe I might purchase the AL ST kit in the future. I don't know yet. Anyways, looking forward to your open box review.

Namely:
Occre ST
Occre Montanes
Model Shipway Constitution
Vanguard Models Sphinx
ZHL Soleil Royal

In the distant past, with the old Artesian Latina, they had a Victory model. I had purchased it and found the instructions so horrible that I sold the kit because I couldn't follow along. I am a little wary of AL kits because of that experience. Maybe if I tackled it now it would be less stressful, because at the time I was new to this hobby and didn't know what the heck I was doing. I still don't but I am a little better than before.
Most of the AL kits instructions now are on cd-rom included in the kit but ALL are downloadable from the AL website. I haven't built an AL kit to date and was put off by way of the instructions on cd as I like my paper plans etc.. however I went onto AL website and downloaded a few plans (all free) to see what I made of their instructions, I found them very easy to follow and all with coloured pictures for guidance and measurements to boot.
Then as if by chance I got a great deal on AL L'Hermione la fayette kit Brand new which I couldn't refuse so I downloaded and double checked the instructions they were all easy to follow, now the kit is sitting in my stash awaiting the Dockyard. So maybe you could do the same checkout the downloadable instructions of a kit your interested in before you buy to make sure you can follow them OK

Back