Le Rochefort 1:36 build by Tony P

Making headway. The jig is set up for now. Glad I did this as it’s a job that would have to be done later on anyway. I’ll study the keel assembly and the fore and aft ends and how they go together while I wait on the frame lumber.

ABFADFE3-6D3E-406F-AC25-8A69EA7F5756.jpeg

418FC17A-92E0-4BBC-923B-63AFC62D2C76.jpeg

Great Jig Tony my first wood delivery is also on its way and will probably arrive tomorrow or Saturday, the monograph was sent today. So everything is under the tree just in time for Christmas. The good thing is that I'm on holiday from 22.12.-8.1. and will start then.

Great Jig Tony my first wood delivery is also on its way and will probably arrive tomorrow or Saturday, the monograph was sent today. So everything is under the tree just in time for Christmas. The good thing is that I'm on holiday from 22.12.-8.1. and will start then.
Oh yes great. I’ve been home with the Flu all week but we don’t work much in winter and I’m semi retired so I hope to make good progress in the next 4 months.
The bow and stern sections are going to be very difficult for me. I just can’t understand the drawings. I’m going to look at them again now and see if I can make sense of them.

Good morning Tony,
Very nice to see you eagerly at work. First of all, get well soon.
Note that the first foot boards of the first and last frames are subdivided, but only one half of the frame.

View attachment 344353

And the other half is separated in the middle

View attachment 344356

Here is an example from La Palme

View attachment 344354View attachment 344355
Is this true for frames 1-4 and also 25-32 ? it seems to be according to Adrian's book. Floors vertical and half floors horizontally cut ?? Im going over this now and am a bit confused.

I think that will be the case, but unfortunately I don't have any plans at hand to confirm it. But I strongly assume that it will.

You write that you don't really have a plan for the bow and stern. What exactly is the problem, Toni, maybe I can help.

E13ECA1D-5241-4FDF-A982-8BA89D4023A3.png
I checked Adrian's log and yes the frames at the back are also cut once vertically and once horizontally.

Last edited:
Tobias, Not sure. Nothing specific. Just suffering from information overload I think right now, bouncing back and forth thru photos and the plans. Once I actually start making parts ill see it differently. Its hard for me to visualize without a part in hand. I'm going through both books slowly now and trying to digest all the parts to be made for the keel assembly. Ill just go step by step building until I'm stymied. The wood for the frames is on its way here too so Ill get on that next week sometime too.

First joints. The Stem. I have more keel and keelson joints done, pics at a later date. Nothing will be glued until every joint is fit and I’m satisfied. I was advised on my FB post by Oliver and Marco that stem and the other scarf joints shouldn’t be caulked. I was going to use paper in the joints. Guess that’s a no no on this particular ship ? I’ve looked and I can’t find info one way or the other on Le Rochefort. I’ve seen other models where the scarfs are caulked so is this just different in every ship ? Builders choice ? I seem to remember seeing Blandford scarfs caulked with paper etc ? My joints are “ok” but I’m not sure I’d like them without the paper in the joint.

812429DB-EB36-4FE9-B4FD-5A0E777075DF.jpeg

First joints. The Stem. I have more keel and keelson joints done, pics at a later date. Nothing will be glued until every joint is fit and I’m satisfied. I was advised on my FB post by Oliver and Marco that stem and the other scarf joints shouldn’t be caulked. I was going to use paper in the joints. Guess that’s a no no on this particular ship ? I’ve looked and I can’t find info one way or the other on Le Rochefort. I’ve seen other models where the scarfs are caulked so is this just different in every ship ? Builders choice ? I seem to remember seeing Blandford scarfs caulked with paper etc ? My joints are “ok” but I’m not sure I’d like them without the paper in the joint
Hi Tony, all the joints of the axial carpentry must be caulked. It is an operation to protect the individual pieces

Hi Tony and Frank, I know from the French forum that French boats are not caulked in the keel area.
Oh ok yes. I believe you but I’ll look there too. That’s what I thought that it may be a French only thing not to caulk it.

Then again since she was a powder carrier and her design was centered around keeping powder dry could have the French caulked this particular ships axial joints ?

Then again since she was a powder carrier and her design was centered around keeping powder dry could have the French caulked this particular ships axial joints ?
Unfortunately, I can't find the post in the French forum where it is explicitly mentioned that French ships were caulked at the stern and stem as well as at the keel. I have also just looked up the 74 Gun book and there is no reference to caulking of these components. Fröhlich's book also makes no reference to it. In the French forum you won't find a ship that has caulking either. Personally, I cannot say 100% whether it is right or wrong, but I trust the statements of experienced model builders.

Back