Le Rochefort 1:36 build by Tony P

Good morning Tony,
Very nice to see you eagerly at work. First of all, get well soon.
Note that the first foot boards of the first and last frames are subdivided, but only one half of the frame.

B871A184-9F23-4422-9D18-9ED26A67CEFD.jpg

And the other half is separated in the middle

B871A184-9F23-4422-9D18-9ED26A67CEFD.jpeg

Here is an example from La Palme

5FFE4475-4C3E-4E87-AC22-1B515B80D412.jpeg69055B73-C7ED-4F60-8E5D-F37BEC321D8C.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a little late, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your new Group Build, Tony. My experience in the SoS Bluenose Group Build is that you get a lot of support from your fellow builders and no question remains unanswered. With is nice to pull up together.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
you are making already some saw-dust - Bravo
Good point by Tobias (I have to state, that I never did this way of framing by Hahn. So I am very interested in the comparison of Pros- and Cons of the different methods -> It will be great to see here in this group build both variants....... This is so cooool :cool:

Good morning Tony,
Very nice to see you eagerly at work. First of all, get well soon.
Note that the first foot boards of the first and last frames are subdivided, but only one half of the frame.

View attachment 344353

And the other half is separated in the middle

View attachment 344356

Here is an example from La Palme

View attachment 344354View attachment 344355
Ok yes thanks. I’m still trying to figure out how to get the cuts where the joints should be. It’s really
not possible because every frame is different.
Yes I was that line that splits the frame at the bottom. In order to have the joints match the plans perfectly each and every frame blank will be different. That’s not the point of the Hahn method. The point of to make it easier to cut frames out of one or two sizes of blank. How do you get your joints where they need to be ?

you are making already some saw-dust - Bravo
Good point by Tobias (I have to state, that I never did this way of framing by Hahn. So I am very interested in the comparison of Pros- and Cons of the different methods -> It will be great to see here in this group build both variants....... This is so cooool :cool:
Yes just some balsa blanks to visualize what I’m trying to do. Me too. I think this method is a time saver. If it’s as accurate as far as joint position goes remains to be seen.

Ok yes thanks. I’m still trying to figure out how to get the cuts where the joints should be. It’s really
not possible because every frame is different.
Yes I was that line that splits the frame at the bottom. In order to have the joints match the plans perfectly each and every frame blank will be different. That’s not the point of the Hahn method. The point of to make it easier to cut frames out of one or two sizes of blank. How do you get your joints where they need to be ?
Hi Tony,
Here is an example of the cutaway pattern of the La Renommee that I have for all frames. Example frame no. 9

z-Couple 09_Demie varangue.jpg

z-Couple 09_Varangue.jpg
And yes you have to do each frame individually.

That kind of defeats the Hahn method. He would use only a few blank sizes to build all the frames. I can see doing each and every frame to put the joints where they should be will work. Ill have to wait till I have the lumber and just do each one individually maybe.

Here is another example of how @Olivers Historic Shipyard did it.
I think it is also a good method.

As far as I remember, from a conversation with Oliver, he takes the copies, glues them on, cuts it out generously and then glues on a whole frame copy again to correct minor deviations

Last edited:
Here is another example of how @Olivers Historic Shipyard did it.
I think it is also a good method.

As far as I remember, from a conversation with Oliver, he takes the copies, glues them on, cuts it out generously and then glues on a whole frame copy again to correct minor deviations
Ok yes correct. Same principle really. Ill be using a combination of methods like this.

Thats what I want to know. I thought they had to be to be accurate ?? My hull will not be planked so I’d think it’s going to be very visible if the joints are at random. ??? Yes ? No ?

Thats what I want to know. I thought they had to be to be accurate ?? My hull will not be planked so I’d think it’s going to be very visible if the joints are at random. ??? Yes ? No ?

the joint line is very fine and i do not think anyone will take notice of where the joints are and i do not think it matters. if you were framing a hull lke this you would have to be very accurate with over lapping to create a smooth sweeping belt of timber.

raleigh5.jpgraleigh6.jpg

Last edited:
the joint line is very fine and i do not think anyone will take notice of where the joints are and i do not think it matters. f
Yes this is something I don’t know. I did lay out my blanks so the joints are no doubt in the ball park anyway, both floor frames and half floor frames.

Yes this is something I don’t know. I did lay out my blanks so the joints are no doubt in the ball park anyway, both floor frames and half floor frames.
First and foremost, each builder should decide for himself how he builds and, above all, in what style he builds and what requirements he has. Of course, you can also cut out the frames as a whole to avoid the whole procedure, but you can also pay a lot of attention to originality and this also includes the joints and a certain symmetry. Especially if you don't plank, you can see the joints very clearly, because you can see a colour difference through the different wood grain and other boards.
B30AE915-634B-4010-AEF6-8E4C0070DAAC.jpeg
the joint line is very fine and i do not think anyone will take notice of where the joints are and i do not think it matters. if you were framing a hull lke this you would have to be very accurate with over lapping to create a smmothe sweeping belt of timber.

View attachment 344411View attachment 344412

Dave to your pictures, as far as I can see these are not double pairs (frames) but single frames from another era see picture example. DU FRANCOIS - Vaisseau 5ème rang 1683
And I think it should be English.
8C1B1394-6796-458B-A45F-C49AF22D7CB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I laid out my joints at the joints on the plans. They'll all be in the same place regardless of frame but since I'm using 2 different blank patterns it should be fine. Doing a blank for each and every frame defeats the purpose of the Hahn method. That's how I interpret it.

Back