YUANQING BLUENOSE - Heinrich

HI HEINRICH, WILL START FRAME NO. 8 TOMORROW HAVE MY PINS AND COPIES READY YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN BY PINS, QUESTION WHAT ARE THE CUTTING LINES AND DO YOU MARK ON THE FRAMES THE LOCATIONS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND ANNA DON

YES I TEND TO AGREE BUT DO NOT HAVE THE EXPERTISE TO SAY IT, I DO AGREE WITH YOU AND DON ABOUT THE BEVELING WILL DO IT BY HAND AS SUGESTED AND HAVE TO COME UP ABOUT HOW TO DO THE FINISHING PLENTY OF TIME FOR THAT, GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND ANNA DON

Good early morning,
That bluenose looks like a beautiful kit. I have never built a wooden ship before but have been a carpenter/woodworker for a good portion of my 44 year work life. I would like to purchase one, and with your site and members help, I know I will find success.
How would I go about purchasing the kit?
Thank you for any direction in this.
Steviedean.

By the way,
I have flirted with building ship kits, at least acquiring kits;
3 by Artesania Latina
7 by model shipway's
( I also have around 300 balsa aircraft kits & 50'ish plastic kits plus too many tools & supplies)
Less than 3 years until retirement, hopefully I can whittle down those numbers abit.
What are some general opinions on the scale fidelity and quality of model shipway's kits?
Thanks again,
Steviedean

Don I'm not sure what they mean by "cutting lines". It would seem to me that those markings indicate the position of the beams as indicated by the yellow arrows on the pics below.

View attachment 201485

View attachment 201486
Hi,
I suppoost you can see the cutting and the cutting lines on sheet 8-1, fig.19. With some tekst + “1 cm”.
Heinrich can translate the tekst.
In fig.17 and 18 the lines are also drawn.
Regards, Peter

By the way,
I have flirted with building ship kits, at least acquiring kits;
3 by Artesania Latina
7 by model shipway's
( I also have around 300 balsa aircraft kits & 50'ish plastic kits plus too many tools & supplies)
Less than 3 years until retirement, hopefully I can whittle down those numbers abit.
What are some general opinions on the scale fidelity and quality of model shipway's kits?
Thanks again,
Steviedean
Hey @Steviedean , have a look through many of the forums. There is one about model ship kit manufacturers. There are others that talk about scale. Myself I prefer 1/64 scale as it is large enough for detail to be evident but small enough that it gives me room to display. There are also lots of miniature figures available in this scale, in the event you want to add them to your builds.nI'll be trying this in my next build.

HI STEVIEDEAD,THIS IS JUST MY OPION I HAVE DONE QUITE A FEW M/S KITS, EXCEPT FOR A FEW NEW ONES IE, PHILADELPHIA GUNBOAT, PICKET BOAT, THE REST ARE 30 TO 40 YEARS OLD NOTHING NEW WITH THEM JUST OLD WAYS AND VCERY OLD SUBJECTS, AS A NOTE GO TO MODEL EXPOS SITE NOW THEY ARE PROMOTING NEW ITEMS PLASTIC, UGEARS ETC NO NEW SHIP KITS CAN NOT COMPETE WITH PRICE, QUALITY ETC OF THE CINEESE OR RUSSIAN KITS, THEY HAVE JUST ONE THING NEW AS A SERIES OF KITS COMING OUT BY DAVID A, FROM BEGINNER TO MORE ADVANCED I LIKE THEM AS FILL INS AND GIFTS BUT THAT IS IT JUST MY 2 CENTS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Good early morning,
That bluenose looks like a beautiful kit. I have never built a wooden ship before but have been a carpenter/woodworker for a good portion of my 44 year work life. I would like to purchase one, and with your site and members help, I know I will find success.
How would I go about purchasing the kit?
Thank you for any direction in this.
Steviedean.
Hello Steviedean,
Not sure why you still without the answer from BN builders...but... please contact (PM) @Heinrich, I tagged him so he may answer you by himself.

Good luck!

OK GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN, TO MAKE SURE MY OLD MIND GRASPS IT, WILL SHOW MY PROCDURE TOMORROW, JUST ONE THING HEINRICH, I HAVE TO USE PINS, PHYSICALLY CAN NOT STAND AND CLAMPS SO FAR DO NOT WORK, WILL TRY TO FIGURE OUT WITCH TABLE (4) TO MODEL BLUENOSE THEN MAYBE CLAMPS CAN WORK, BUT FIRST THE WAY I PROCEED IS DIFFERENT THEN OTHERS SO FAR AND PLEASE, PLEASE CHIP IN IF YOU SEE SOMETHING WRONG OR A BETTER WAY, STAY TUNED. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

OK GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN, TO MAKE SURE MY OLD MIND GRASPS IT, WILL SHOW MY PROCDURE TOMORROW, JUST ONE THING HEINRICH, I HAVE TO USE PINS, PHYSICALLY CAN NOT STAND AND CLAMPS SO FAR DO NOT WORK, WILL TRY TO FIGURE OUT WITCH TABLE (4) TO MODEL BLUENOSE THEN MAYBE CLAMPS CAN WORK, BUT FIRST THE WAY I PROCEED IS DIFFERENT THEN OTHERS SO FAR AND PLEASE, PLEASE CHIP IN IF YOU SEE SOMETHING WRONG OR A BETTER WAY, STAY TUNED. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Don, I am sure that they entire group crew will be glad to assist you in any way that they can for your questions and needs. That is what crewmates do. Rich

Hello Everyone

@marter1229 Terry asked me about the two parts that need to be added to the keel as part of the Transom and specifically with what the beveling should look like. I promised to give him an answer so I want to share it with all of you as part of the build procedure. For this assembly we will need four parts: 2 x Parts #19 and 2 x Parts #65.

Build 95.png

Our inventory shows Parts #19 marked in red.

Build 96.jpg

In reality, that is what Part #19 looks like. Those of you who have already installed Parts #17 and #18, will only have Part #19 left in this particular sheet.

Build 97.png

Back to our inventory list, we see Parts #65 marked in red again.

Build 98.jpg

And in reality.

Build 100.png

The assembly drawing indicates the positioning of these four parts on the keel as well as the fact that beveling is once again involved.

Now that we have identified the four role players in this part of the assembly, we can remove them from their sheeting. It is IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT PARTS #19 and #65 ARE GLUED TOGETHER BACK TO BACK - so ultimately, we will only end up with two components that need to be attached to the keel.

Build 101.jpg

This view shows Part #65 at the back and Part #19 at the Front. NOTE : The Bevel line is at the bottom and faces to the outside.

Build 102.jpg

This picture shows the Reverse side of the previous picture. From this side, only Part #65 is visible - the bevel line is at the top and faces to the outside. CAUTION: Please make sure that you glue the correct pieces to one another!

微信图片_20201230172252.jpg

After the glue had dried I quickly beveled one side while there was enough sunshine. Beveling is not something I do in artificial light.

Build 104.jpg

With both Parts #19 and #65 visible you can clearly see the beveling at the bottom.

Build 105.jpg

With only Part #65 visible the you can see the bevel at the top.

微信图片_20201230172131.jpg

In my case, the bottom beveling measure exactly 40 Degrees.

That is all for now - more will follow tomorrow! :)

Hello Everyone

@marter1229 Terry asked me about the two parts that need to be added to the keel as part of the Transom and specifically with what the beveling should look like. I promised to give him an answer so I want to share it with all of you as part of the build procedure. For this assembly we will need four parts: 2 x Parts #19 and 2 x Parts #65.

View attachment 202261

Our inventory shows Parts #19 marked in red.

View attachment 202262

In reality, that is what Part #19 looks like. Those of you who have already installed Parts #17 and #18, will only have Part #19 left in this particular sheet.

View attachment 202263

Back to our inventory list, we see Parts #65 marked in red again.

View attachment 202264

And in reality.

View attachment 202268

The assembly drawing indicates the positioning of these four parts on the keel as well as the fact that beveling is once again involved.

Now that we have identified the four role players in this part of the assembly, we can remove them from their sheeting. It is IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT PARTS #19 and #65 ARE GLUED TOGETHER BACK TO BACK - so ultimately, we will only end up with two components that need to be attached to the keel.

View attachment 202270

This view shows Part #65 at the back and Part #19 at the Front. NOTE : The Bevel line is at the bottom and faces to the outside.

View attachment 202271

This picture shows the Reverse side of the previous picture. From this side, only Part #65 is visible - the bevel line is at the top and faces to the outside. CAUTION: Please make sure that you glue the correct pieces to one another!

View attachment 202273

After the glue had dried I quickly beveled one side while there was enough sunshine. Beveling is not something I do in artificial light.

View attachment 202274

With both Parts #19 and #65 visible you can clearly see the beveling at the bottom.

View attachment 202275

With only Part #65 visible the you can see the bevel at the top.

View attachment 202276

In my case, the bottom beveling measure exactly 40 Degrees.

That is all for now - more will follow tomorrow! :)
@Heinrich :
This is Word-Perfect and Picture-Perfect.
Not that I still use that (first) program ...........;)
Regards, Peter

Hello Everyone

I want to share my "modification" that I mentioned last night. As you will recall, I explained how Parts #19 and #65 are combined (by gluing together) and then beveled.

Untitled.png

Here you can see how the #19/65 combination is glued to the keel - one on either side. For this, YuanQing has provided us with with a 1:1-scale drawing. This allows you to place the keel exactly over the drawing and then align the combined Part #19/65 in its correct - position. No problem here! :)

But now let's take a look at the picture below.

Build 65.jpg

On my keel assembly - and I have no idea if this is peculiar to the way that I built the keel - the unbeveled part of Part #18 does not lie level with the sternpost - it is slightly higher (it is the same on the other side). This means that my combination Part #19/65 will not lie flush with the unbeveled section of Part #18 and the sternpost. My solution was as follows:

Build 96.jpg

I simply cut out the piece (as is indicated in yellow) on the backing sheet which housed Part #18 making sure that I followed the exact lines of Part #18.

Build 95.png

It is better illustrated on this drawing where the two sections that I cut out are marked in red and pointed out by the bold, black arrow. These I then glued onto the sternpost and once the glue had dried I cut off the overhang at the back.

微信图片_20201231144329.jpg

The inserted piece on the Port Side.

微信图片_20201231144335.jpg

And on the starboard side.

Now everything is flush and ready to accommodate our combination part #19/65. As mentioned before, I don't know if you will be affected by the same issue, but if you are, you know what you can do.

Kind regards - Heinrich

Back