YUANQING BLUENOSE - Heinrich

@PT-2 Hi rich. It is the very first page in the frame instruction manual - it is actually separate from the rest of the frame-drawings.
Now, with your lead I found it. Previously went straight to the frame(s) drawing page in my haste. Now I can add your annotations. Thanks. Rich (I apologize for my sidetrack deviation of your time.)

As promised here is the actual construction of the ribs. Please note that I will illustrate THE PROCESS with both Ribs #8 and # 20 simply because during the construction of Rib #8, I neglected to take some pictures of the process. Even though the rib numbers may vary the PROCESS is the same and follows a chronological, step-by step layout of what I have done. Once again - I am by no means saying that you should follow this to the letter - just that is what I used, I worked for me and I will continue to do so.

1. Carefully remove the ribs from their sheeting and immediately mark them not only FRONT and REAR but also FRONT and REAR of each part. The bevel lines will in this instance indicate FRONT and the non-beveled side REAR. YuanQing advises only to sand the little nodes or tabs (where the frames were joined to the back-up sheeting) but not to remove the char. I have done this on Frame #8, but found it difficult to remove the char later. On frame #20, I first removed the char - your choice! :)

2. The next step is to lay out the frame parts in their designated place on the rib plans.

Build 82.jpg

Please note that the left side as we look at it, is the FRONT part of the frame. In the above picture nothing is glued and parts just lie freely on top of the paper.

Build 83.jpg

3. The centre portion of the Rear Frame is placed in its position. Make sure that it conforms to the inside line. You will notice the bevel line is left uncovered - that portion will be filled by the front part of the frame once that is in position.

Build 84.jpg

4. With the centre section of the assembly firmly clamped, glue the one rib-arm into position and clamp over the joint. @donfarr Don, throw away the pins and get clamps!

Build 85.jpg

5. Repeat the process and do exactly the same on the other side. As the frame parts are only joined by means of a butt-joint, I leave these in the clamps for at least two hours.

Build 76.jpg

Once assembled, this is what the rear half of the frame construction looks like. Make sure that you mark the rear of this assembly. Once again, the bevel lines indicate the front of the frame. Please note that for illustrative purposes, I use Frame #8 to show the finished rear part.

微信图片_20201219102652.jpg

Here you can see the finished rear half of Frame #20 on the right, while the front half of Frame #20 is being assembled on the left.

6. When both halves are completed, they are placed on the drawings again to verify that they match up and are accurate. If you are happy with how they align with the drawings/ plans we can proceed to the next stage.

7. The two halves are now glued together BACK TO BACK. In other words - once glued - the bevel lines on BOTH sides need to be visible.

微信图片_20201220194023.jpg

Both halves being glued together.

8. Once the rib is fully assembled, I do the final check against the drawings.

微信图片_20201220200231.jpg

Front section of the rib-assembly checked.

微信图片_20201220200240.jpg

Rear half of the rib-assembly checked.

9. With all of that done, do your beveling and give the rib a light sanding (I use 360-grit sandpaper for this).

10. Write the number of the rib on the top part of one or both of the ribs.

With this done, you have one rib completed. Now go for it !!! There are 57 more!ROTF

@Pathfinder65 Hi Jan. Great to hear from you. Yes, the log serves a dual purpose - on the one hand it is a build log, on the other, it is an instruction manual for our aspirant builders. :) I use two wooden cheese/bread boards and have also modified the Leudo's building jig to serve as a surface. The cheese/bread boards are too wide - hence I can only clamp the centre section and one side at a time. With the Leudo's jig, I can clamp both sides and the centre section all at once. There are going to be some frames that are too big (wide) for my specially modified Leudo jig though! :)

@Pathfinder65 Hi Jan. Great to hear from you. Yes, the log serves a dual purpose - on the one hand it is a build log, on the other, it is an instruction manual for our aspirant builders. :) I use two wooden cheese/bread boards and have also modified the Leudo's building jig to serve as a surface. The cheese/bread boards are too wide - hence I can only clamp the centre section and one side at a time. With the Leudo's jig, I can clamp both sides and the centre section all at once. There are going to be some frames that are too big (wide) for my specially modified Leudo jig though! :)
Hi Heinrich,

Excellent, my curiosity was peaked because of the need to have a good flat surface while working with frames.

Jan

Last edited:
So the frames are double thick on bottom, but single thickness at top of frames?

Just trying to understand without kit or instructions in front of me.

Keep up the great instructional build for all of us bound to follow behind you when we get our kit out for work.
That is the same as the bulkhead "frames" in MS2130 where we are instructed and shown to cut/file away the after/rear face creating a more narrow station at the deck level. The inward face of these are also shaped to parallel the outer curve of the side. The remaining thicker bulkhead portion which crosses the schooner becomes the deck beam. The YQ frames eliminate this removal process.
Rich (PT-2)

Heinrich,
Just a question about the parts 20 and 21.
On your the picture I made them grey:
Fig3.png
Are this cover planks for the keel or are they intended to strengthen the keel. To give it its strength by the 3 layers with overlapping seams and give it body?
Because, when the port side is planked, these parts are still in sight.
In fig.20 I made them also grey.
Fig20.jpg

In a other way: is the wood of the keel covered with (protection) planks?
Perhaps @PT-2 Rich ore somebody else can say something about this question?
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hello Gentlemen

I have to start by saying that it is wonderful to see how the kits are arriving and how the build logs are being started. I don't have too much report from my side as I have been making frames - and the process is exactly the same as I have described in my previous post. However, I have finished 10 x frames and have test-fitted them out of curiosity! :) Please note that I have just removed the char prior to assembly. After assembly, absolutely nothing has been done to the frames - no sanding/polishing or finishing of any kind.

微信图片_20201226225913.jpg
There is still a v-e-r-y long way to go until there is light at the end of that tunnel!

微信图片_20201226225925.jpg

If we use PLENTY of imagination, we can already see a hull shape developing.

微信图片_20201226225940.jpg

微信图片_20201226230119.jpg

So in the coming week the goal remains churning out more frames - and like Don said - at the end of each week, we hope to have filled that jig some more! :)

Thank you all for following and for supporting Bluenose! Stay safe out there, look after yourselves and enjoy your building!

Hello Gentlemen

I have to start by saying that it is wonderful to see how the kits are arriving and how the build logs are being started. I don't have too much report from my side as I have been making frames - and the process is exactly the same as I have described in my previous post. However, I have finished 10 x frames and have test-fitted them out of curiosity! :) Please note that I have just removed the char prior to assembly. After assembly, absolutely nothing has been done to the frames - no sanding/polishing or finishing of any kind.

View attachment 201397
There is still a v-e-r-y long way to go until there is light at the end of that tunnel!

View attachment 201398

If we use PLENTY of imagination, we can already see a hull shape developing.

View attachment 201400

View attachment 201401

So in the coming week the goal remains churning out more frames - and like Don said - at the end of each week, we hope to have filled that jig some more! :)

Thank you all for following and for supporting Bluenose! Stay safe out there, look after yourselves and enjoy your building!
Heinrich,
It looks like a giant 3D Jig-(no)saw puzzle.
Regards Peter

Heinrich,
Just a question about the parts 20 and 21.
On your the picture I made them grey:
View attachment 201342
Are this cover planks for the keel or are they intended to strengthen the keel. To give it its strength by the 3 layers with overlapping seams and give it body?
Because, when the port side is planked, these parts are still in sight.
In fig.20 I made them also grey.
View attachment 201343

In a other way: is the wood of the keel covered with (protection) planks?
Perhaps @PT-2 Rich ore somebody else can say something about this question?
Regards, Peter
The keel is exposed as you have shaded it along with the stem post for the rudder. The bow stem should eventually begin to be tapered from a square edge to one less wide as it progresses form the point of departure from the straight keel bottom to the upward curve and then at the very end under the boom again be wider for a gammoning metal connection. You can see some of this in the old photos of Bluenose and supplemented by me MS2130 vetted kit. .. . I cannot say what YQ instructs as I have not begun my build, just watched. Rich (PT-2)

Back