YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Work on the running rigging of the main- and fore sails continues.
Countless details pass through my hands; a 3mm single block here, a double 4mm block there, a sheet for the main sail, a lanyard for the fore gaff upper throat, ropes dia 0,3mm, 0,4mm or was it supposed to be 0,6mm? The list is near endless and that's just those two sails, with six more to go...

Upper throat main gaff:
View attachment 394024
Fore sail gaff lanyards:
View attachment 394025

Main gaff lanyards:
View attachment 394026

Main mast with lanyards, sheets, lift tacks, main sail mast hoops:
View attachment 394027

Main sail crutch tacks (chains), main sail sheet and the starboard top backstay
View attachment 394028
Beautiful work Johan! Almost makes me wish I had put sails on mine…almost! ROTF

Today saw the delivery and installation of my new organ.
It's a three keyboard organ with a full set of pedals. I am able to reproduce the sounds of existing organs, my model came with the sound sets of three famous Dutch organs, Utrecht, Rotterdam, Haarlem and a stunning sounding French organ, Caen.
No time (for the time being) for my Bluenose!

View attachment 394218
New instruments tend to get top priority! ;)

Dear Johan. You are a devious character. All the time that you have been bemoaning the fact that you haven't made any progress (after the first mizzen sail), I said to myself: "Hmmmm. I smell a rat ...". Turns out, I wasn't wrong!

So what can I say about the sails that have not been said before? They look magnificent - so detailed and natural. Unsurprisingly, it also lends a "fullness" to the complete look of the build, that has me second guessing my initial idea of reefed sails on the WB.

And those navigation lights. The effect that they create is to die for!

Dear Johan. You are a devious character. All the time that you have been bemoaning the fact that you haven't made any progress (after the first mizzen sail), I said to myself: "Hmmmm. I smell a rat ...". Turns out, I wasn't wrong!

So what can I say about the sails that have not been said before? They look magnificent - so detailed and natural. Unsurprisingly, it also lends a "fullness" to the complete look of the build, that has me second guessing my initial idea of reefed sails on the WB.
Heinrich, quilty as charged! ROTF

See my next post for a Bluenose with all sails set...
As with the lights, the sails were a mandatory add-on. And again, I am very pleased with the outcome.

Today the build of my Bluenose reached another important milestone; all sails are now installed. As you might know, having sails was mandatory from the onset of this project. I might have a somewhat childish view on sailing ships without sails or cars and planes without engines: they are incomplete. That was why my interpretation of YQ's Bluenose would receive her sails.
I still have to add sheets to the balloon jib (forward most sail) and the sheet and tack of the fisherman's stay sail (topsail between the main- and foremast).

Starboardside view:
IMG_0838.jpeg
Portside view:
IMG_0837.jpeg

Today the build of my Bluenose reached another important milestone; all sails are now installed. As you might know, having sails was mandatory from the onset of this project. I might have a somewhat childish view on sailing ships without sails or cars and planes without engines: they are incomplete. That was why my interpretation of YQ's Bluenose would receive her sails.
I still have to add sheets to the balloon jib (forward most sail) and the sheet and tack of the fisherman's stay sail (topsail between the main- and foremast).

Starboardside view:
View attachment 398278
Portside view:
View attachment 398279
She's a real beauty Johan.

Starboardside view:
View attachment 398278
Portside view:
View attachment 398279
Congratulations with this milestone: setting all the sails! She is looking impressive, Johan. And respect for fitting all the lines between the sails and belaying point.
Regards, Peter

Today I completed the rigging of the sails; the still missing sheets and tacks were added. There were only four sheets/tacks still to be added and tensioned, but it took the entire Wednesday afternoon to get it done.
I also took some pictures, with a clean background, to have the emphasis on the model and not on the background clutter.

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0847.jpeg
And for reference the way how Yang Quin perceived their kit:
(YQ's picture, not mine.)
IMG_0007.jpeg
I think I have reason to be very content with the results of my labor sofar, with a huge thanks to all of those who freely gave hardware (lights, 3D printed goodies, rope, blocks, drawings...), comments and support.

Still a small myriad of things to do, but the finish line is not too far off anymore.
One could say a lot about the YQ-kit, both good and bad, but in all, it's a nice kit to build, with lots of possibilities to personalize one's model.

Today I completed the rigging of the sails; the still missing sheets and tacks were added. There were only four sheets/tacks still to be added and tensioned, but it took the entire Wednesday afternoon to get it done.
I also took some pictures, with a clean background, to have the emphasis on the model and not on the background clutter.

View attachment 398384

View attachment 398385
And for reference the way how Yang Quin perceived their kit:
(YQ's picture, not mine.)
View attachment 398386
I think I have reason to be very content with the results of my labor sofar, with a huge thanks to all of those who freely gave hardware (lights, 3D printed goodies, rope, blocks, drawings...), comments and support.

Still a small myriad of things to do, but the finish line is not too far off anymore.
One could say a lot about the YQ-kit, both good and bad, but in all, it's a nice kit to build, with lots of possibilities to personalize one's model.
Very nice Johan, looking forward to seeing some of the lighting in a darker setting.

I think what you achieved is a definite improvement over the kit as provided! The choice of sails on an otherwise unfinished presentation of a POF ship is always going to be subjective and personal. I think it looks beautiful. I also think any presentation can be made to look good, no sails, partial sails and full sails.
It is really about what you would like to see as the builder. Sometimes full sails can clutter a model, and that’s mainly why people choose no sails or partial sails. But I have to agree your BN looks great with full sails. And I commend you for the extra work you put into making that happen! ;)

Back