YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

That's seriously impressive Johan. I'm sure you can find a way to install the organ on your Bluenose somehow? The hands will appreciate it... :p
That's not a half bad idea, Marc!
I can just see it, on old harmonium, in the aft cabin, on which Angus Walter's played the hymns, prior to starting a new day and all those raspy voices singing along, out of tune, of course.
And when Angus was out of earshot, the crew abused the poor little harmonium, singing some more profane songs.

My grandfather used to have a harmonium like this; he was organist of the church of a small hamlet, Durgerdam, just north of Amsterdam. You can easily imagine this being on the Bluenose.
The thing sounded like cats being killed, horrible. An harmonium has a very specific sound, easily recognazible. Recently I heard it again; it was being used in a concert I attended. The contraption still sends shivers down my spine.
In essence this is the predecessor of the present day digital organs with their fantastic sound.
IMG_0049.jpeg
Picture is not mine.

Oh, those harmoniums bring back many fond memories. In South Africa they fulfilled a dual role - as a church or "huisgodsdiens" instrument and as a stalwart in "boeremusiek" complete with banjo, guitars and concertina!

Oh, those harmoniums bring back many fond memories. In South Africa they fulfilled a dual role - as a church or "huisgodsdiens" instrument and as a stalwart in "boeremusiek" complete with banjo, guitars and concertina!
Here in Holland we also had a less than flattering nickname for it: all too often it was referred to as "psalmenpomp"...

So, being 69 years of age and none the wiser, I started my 70th year with the fabrication of yet another sail, the main topsail.
For now the process is as follows:
1. Stain the cloth and let dry.
2. Transfer the lines of the previously prepared paper template the cloth.
3. Stitch (straight) the seams, simulating the sails trips being stitched together.
4. Next the edges of the sail, again straight stitches.
5. Again stitching the edges, but now with a zigzag stitch
All stitch are done with the smallest possible settings (1 on the Admiral's Etna, no clue what that means, but could be mm's.)
6. Apply diluted woodglue on the sail and set aside to dry.
7. Once dry, cut the excess material, just outside of the outer zigzag stitches.
The first sail was trimmed with a pair of scissors, may be I'll experiment with cutting, but not sure yet.
8. Finish the sail by adding the necessary hardware, prior to setting the sail.
Pending on my experience the process may vary...

Step 3, main topsail, the dummy seams:View attachment 385159

Step 4, stitched the net edges of the sail:
View attachment 385158

Step 5, the zigzag stitch applied, left and right of the stitch made in step 4:
View attachment 385156
The next steps will be shown later, once reaching those steps.

A shot, taken by the Admiral, of a man-at-work:
View attachment 385157
Hello Johan. Happy Belated Birthday, so sorry that I am late. Great job on your sails, you are a very brave man. I leave this tact to my Admiral Bernadette. I will have to spend a lot more time catching up on yours and other YQ-Bluenose builds as I have fallen very far behind this past summer.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Johan. Happy Belated Birthday, so sorry that I am late. Great job on your sails, you are a very brave man. I leave this tact to my Admiral Bernadette. I will have to spend a lot more time catching up on yours and other YQ-Bluenose builds as I have fallen very far behind this past summer.

Regards Lawrence
No worries, dear Lawrence and thanks for your birthday wishes.
The sails are a much more complicated project than I originally foresaw, but using the Admiral's sewing machine is, after getting over the initial learning curve, just fun to do. Completing them with hardware (reef lines...) and installing the sails is another story.
As far as keeping track of other builders go, being up to date is by no means mandatory, so take your time going through the build logs, but more importantly, keep your little fellows occupied.
Kind regards,
Johan

Thanks Grant,

Funny how these things work. For every line I set I can easily spot three imperfections, hands down, while you are able to look at the greater picture.
There was/is much I sort out during the build, also resulting in inconsistenties...
Well, let's say experience gained.
Good morning Johan. Ahh we are our own biggest critics. Those imperfections which only we ourselves see….and for some reason they bug us and push us to improve all the time. It is what I love about this hobby. From my viewing point Johan your BN is a thing of beauty :D.
I'm afraid I'm the cause of some of those limits? :rolleyes: But I know you can push boundaries! :) You have shown that before, Johan. With the experiences now gained, the redo's will improve.
Regards, Peter
Note for Grant…never build a ship @Peter Voogt has done……ROTFROTFROTF

Note for Grant…never build a ship @Peter Voogt has done……ROTFROTFROTF
Fell for it once. Won't a second time.
I suppose no one else will build a Vlaardinger Herring Logger …….. :)ROTF
so, for the next years no problem!
And if someone will build a scratched Lee, I am willing to help as much as possible.
Regards, Peter

Originally, I was inclined to build yet another POF Bluenose, with a saw cut this time, but as time passed, I am now leaning towards something else entirely; I feel somehow attracted to the old Dutch (harbor)tugs, much like this one: Tug Johann, Zuiderzee, or something along those lines.
When I was a kid, we lived opposite the city of Dordrecht, one of the oldest cities in Holland, along the river the Merwede. This was and still is a heavily used waterway. I've seen quite a few barges passing by, which, in the early sixties, were still towed by those little tugs. For some reason or an other I came to like the little buggers, completely purpose build, without any frills or thrills.
Since I still have some other projects lined up, I have ample time to make up my mind. TBC.

Last edited:
Below my 1:65 Bluenose: fore topsail and foresail with the gaff:
IMG_0791.jpeg

Now the same detail for my YQ build; a lot more detail and parts significantly more to scale. A definite improvement:
IMG_0790.jpeg

I accidentally hijacked Dan's build log, whoops...

Because they love to eat fermented herring with raw onions
Still a small correction: it’s not fermented, it’s salted as a form of conservation.
Not to be confused with the Swedish ‘Surströmming’, fermented Eastsee herring in tin cans.
Sorry for the side step, Johan.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Gekaakt Peter. They leave the pancreas in it to let it mature. The salt is to keep it longer.
They use also salt in Surströmming, the only difference is the Swedish canned it afterwarts and allow it to get sour.

Back