VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

@all thanks for the visit, likes, jokes and comments. I love this and helps to go on.
Standing rigging came to an end and finally I can say job done. Sails, spars and running rigging is next. First I have to write an article for the modelbouwer and then we go on with the HZ model. See you back here over a while.
Enjoy the pictures
View attachment 423826View attachment 423827View attachment 423828View attachment 423829View attachment 423830View attachment 423831View attachment 423832View attachment 423833View attachment 423834View attachment 423835View attachment 423836View attachment 423837View attachment 423838View attachment 423839
A very nice example of standing rigging, Stephan. And now some time management for all the jobs to do.
Regards, Peter

Congratulations for reaching this stage - and it is looking extremely good

BRAVO

A very nice example of standing rigging, Stephan. And now some time management for all the jobs to do.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter, a very welcome compliment from a professional builder like you. And I say professional because of those small details you serve us in your buildlogs.
Congrats on yet another milestone, mon ami! A very important one! And now I know you are not just a modeler and sausage maker, you are a writer as well! ;) What other abilities are you hiding from us?
Thanks Jim, I can also make very good hamburgers. There was a time I made them with the hundreds.
Impressed with your work on the standing rigging: Thumbsup
Congratulations for reaching this stage - and it is looking extremely good

BRAVO

Thanks Johan and Uwe.
Wonderfull work on the rigging Stephan. All the hours start to pay off
Thanks Maarten, yes I'm glad with the result to. Was a good practise and learning curve.

And thanks all for the likes and visit to my log.

Dear Stephan. The standing rigging is a perfect example of how rigging should be done on a Dutch ship. Congratulations on a job well done. I am looking forward to you resuming your work on the HZ.

Dear Stephan. The standing rigging is a perfect example of how rigging should be done on a Dutch ship. Congratulations on a job well done. I am looking forward to you resuming your work on the HZ.
Thanks Heinrich for your visit and compliment

I was working on my another project the Newport of Mamoli And I find it difficult to use the light box of China (Action). That's a shitty thing of garbage. To small and almost no light. So I make myself on of a tray I found by the garbage on the street. Led strips inside and a piece of acrylic glass on top. Thin glass plate I got from a picture frame, few hinges and double sided tape. And done. Future proof for the big sails of the Prins Willem

IMG_4282.JPGIMG_4283.JPGIMG_4284.JPGIMG_4286.JPG

I was working on my another project the Newport of Mamoli And I find it difficult to use the light box of China (Action). That's a shitty thing of garbage. To small and almost no light. So I make myself on of a tray I found by the garbage on the street. Led strips inside and a piece of acrylic glass on top. Thin glass plate I got from a picture frame, few hinges and double sided tape. And done. Future proof for the big sails of the Prins Willem

View attachment 429003View attachment 429004View attachment 429005View attachment 429006
Great lightbox Stephan.

If you don t want the extra work just use some simple LED panel.

Great light box Stephan.
I also had to build one for my wife for her handicrafts, the end of the story was that I bought one from Amazon and built a table around it .
seems, that your wife is also building ship models - or is by accident a plan of your ship on top? ;)
It is good to have one in the family.....

While waiting for a minor surgical procedure on the fingers of my left hand I am just twisting some ropes for the Newport and this ship. Other little things are too difficult due to stiffness of my left hand. Rope twisting works fine.
I found a reference on the German forum to the Scheets and Tacks. These are thicker at the sail than at the siege point. Yk writes about this and there are also examples in the many drawings of this type of ship where this can be seen.

1710684520683.png
f801t1403p45577n3.jpg

So I started to experiment on my ropewalk to achieve this.
I started with 3x28 serafil yarn in the ropewalk and make sure that the rope is secured to every hook of the ropewalk. Then I start thisting the rope eand after the first 20 cm. was done I cut 6 yarns away of every strand. Twist further about 4 cm. And cut away 5 yarns of every strand and did this one more time with 5 yarns.
The result of about 4 hours work.
IMG_4344.JPGIMG_4345.JPGIMG_4346.JPGIMG_4347.JPGIMG_4349.JPG

For a first test I think I can call this a success. There are some problems in the rope but that's because I was playing with the turn speed and direction. Next time I know the speed and what to do.

While waiting for a minor surgical procedure on the fingers of my left hand I am just twisting some ropes for the Newport and this ship. Other little things are too difficult due to stiffness of my left hand. Rope twisting works fine.
I found a reference on the German forum to the Scheets and Tacks. These are thicker at the sail than at the siege point. Yk writes about this and there are also examples in the many drawings of this type of ship where this can be seen.

View attachment 435485
View attachment 435486

So I started to experiment on my ropewalk to achieve this.
I started with 3x28 serafil yarn in the ropewalk and make sure that the rope is secured to every hook of the ropewalk. Then I start thisting the rope eand after the first 20 cm. was done I cut 6 yarns away of every strand. Twist further about 4 cm. And cut away 5 yarns of every strand and did this one more time with 5 yarns.
The result of about 4 hours work.
View attachment 435487View attachment 435488View attachment 435489View attachment 435490View attachment 435491

For a first test I think I can call this a success. There are some problems in the rope but that's because I was playing with the turn speed and direction. Next time I know the speed and what to do.
Experiments are always fun, especially if the output is positive. And even if you know where the problems lie.
This first example looks very promising, Stephan.
Regards, Peter

Experiments are always fun, especially if the output is positive. And even if you know where the problems lie.
This first example looks very promising, Stephan.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter and you know me, when I fine tuned the proces, I will give a step for step procedure of it.

Hi Stephan. Never seen that before. Well done.
I hope the surgery brings relief and you can build further without physical obstacles.
Thanks Herman, it's a simple surgery. In and out, 2 days later I will be able to do everything with my left hand.
About the sheets and tacks of the main sails, I was reading Yk and didn't had any idea what he was writing about, till I found that log on the German site. I also got a lot of pictures of drawings where you can see this. It was done in this way till 1750-1800 when the double tacks where installed. When you look to the model VOC De Gerechtigheid 1761 in the Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam (there are pictures of it) you can see it on that model too.

Back