VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Ok, then that's it. The dead eyes are too big. That's why the ropes seemed so weak.
Yes on a 1/75 scale it is difficult to scale right. You're talking about a diameter of half a mm. less or more. Which could make a huge difference in look. In a very early stage of the build I used the drawings of Corel. And they use also rope that is to big for the job.

Thanks Stephan for sharing the technique making the hooks on such very small blocks. The end result is impressive indeed. I often go back to Andrey Kudin's video blog to help guide me on my ship. His work is quite amazing. Keep up the great work mate!

Everybody again thanks for the kind words and likes. This makes me to go one.

Small update, lots of work. The fore topmast shrouds and tackles are ready.

IMG_3983.JPGIMG_3985.JPGIMG_3984.JPGIMG_3986.JPG

The next thing are preparations of the backstay and stay. Scale 1/75 is actually to small for these kind of details.

Hello Stephan,
Very neat work on the rigging. I still love the little carved wooden figures.
Thanks Tobias, they look better then thoose I made of clay on the galleon. (Last picture) I was too looking to the wooden ones and was thinking to replace those one the galleon with wooden ones too.

There is a little problem that I got with the rope I use and made by myself with Serafil. For example the backstays. When I fasten the tackle and set the stay tight, the rope starts to turn around. I made a video to show the problem.

Anybody any idea what is the problem?

It is a little a pain in the @ss when this happens. It takes because of that a lot of time to adjust the ropes.

Last edited:
So many tiny details considered the scale, it is a feast to the eyes! Bravo mon ami!
Thanks Jim, there indeed a lot of tiny things to look at, some made by Jan and some made by me.
Stephan, I love this ship. The wood tone is warm and little like a contemporary model, but much cleaner. I hope to achieve the same look, someday. Your rigging is so well done. I never get tired of looking at it.
Thanks Ken, cherry (deck) and pear (hull) are just perfect for shipmodeling in my opinion. The Black wood you see isn't painted, it is real african blackwood, it is so deep in colour.
And the wood is finished with Danish Oil.

Thanks all for the nice comments, likes and visit. There was not much work done till now. Just not much time to do undisturbed my work here. But the last few days I did a little work and here is the update.
The ratlines on the sprits mast are done.
And I started to fit the marsen on the main topmast en fore topmast. I cleaned them of glue residu and did a time about the deadeyes. How do I fit them??? I found a solution I like to share with you. How to fit 3 mm deadeyes.

First the shrouds on the spritssail mast or how it is called.
IMG_4001.JPGIMG_4002.JPGIMG_4003.JPG

Repeated work like always, happy the last ratline is done. On the topgallant mast there will be no ratlines.

This is the goal

IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4005.JPG
The brass will be blacken in a later stage (before I fit them on the top)
The difficult was to hold them in place like the ones a step lower. But that was not easy without burning the deadeyes (this happens when trying to solder)
So I needed a solution without soldering. I found one and the clue is 2 holes in the platform. I show you.
The holes:
IMG_4006.JPG
I know this could be more accurate, but it is freehand drilled and there will be a lot of adjustment after.

IMG_4006.JPG

Then I started with a piece of Brass wire (0,4 mm.) heated it to make it easy to bend and not breaking it.
Turn it over a fixed distance.

IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4008.JPG

Then I put it in the 2 hole on the platform and twist the other side too

IMG_4009.JPGIMG_4010.JPGIMG_4014.JPG

With a needle I create an eye

IMG_4011.JPG

With a sanding disk I shape the eye

IMG_4013.JPG

Done. And the dry fit result on the top.

IMG_4015.JPGIMG_4016.JPG
Thanks for watching

IMG_4012.JPG

Back