VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Thanks @Jimsky Indeed very interesting detail, when I discover it, I knew this must be done.

Today I made a second test and I must say, it looks a lot better. I'm still not where I want to be. Did another update on the rope walk for the next test. I must make sure that both parts of the rope walk are stay good in place, when I place the yarn in it. Moving during that proces is failure. And to only rejuvenate in 3 places is too little to get a nice gradually decreasing rope. I double that number in my next test.

021.JPG022.JPG023.JPG

Anche Anderson nel suo The Rigging of Ships in the days of Spritsail Topmast 1600-1720 fa riferimento all'ispessimento delle corde.

Anderson in his The Rigging of Ships in the days of Spritsail Topmast 1600-1720 also refers to the thickening of the ropes.

Last edited by a moderator:
20240318_163641.jpg

I read this book 3 times, and never noticed it before. But it is indeed a small phrase in the book that referring to the tapered rope.
And no, mr. Anderson you don't asked to much from a model rope maker.
And mr. Anderson, builders, like Dockattner, will bring this fact into question. Just to sleep peacefully and not have to think that with their Vasa it would have been a very beautiful addition as well and so actually have to modify it. Just to get a good night's sleep. :p

Here is my latest test with a rope that has been rejuvenated.
I started with 3x6 rope, used Serafil 120/2 for this and rejuvenated that to 3x2.
Over a length of 240 cm. I removed a yarn on the first 70 cm of rope and then turned another 10 cm and another yarn and so on until I had 3x2 left.
When I had 3 of these ropes I twisted them into a cable and twisted the thickest end first till the thinner end. This is the result. I hope you guys got something out of my findings.

031.JPG032.JPG033.JPG

I think the cable is very successful and will be putting it on my Prins Willem in no time.

View attachment 435809

I read this book 3 times, and never noticed it before. But it is indeed a small phrase in the book that referring to the tapered rope.
And no, mr. Anderson you don't asked to much from a model rope maker.
And mr. Anderson, builders, like Dockattner, will bring this fact into question. Just to sleep peacefully and not have to think that with their Vasa it would have been a very beautiful addition as well and so actually have to modify it. Just to get a good night's sleep. :p

Very informative; I have never seen it done before.
The book states "but this is probably asking too much of the model rope-maker"; but not of you Stephan.

Very informative; I have never seen it done before.
The book states "but this is probably asking too much of the model rope-maker"; but not of you Stephan.
Thanks Herman, actually it is not that hard to do, just a lot of work, but that is treenailing also. That's something you ad to the planking of a model to make it just that special. I think these kind of rigging jobs do that to.

This is not the first time that I looked at your work and had to shake my head in amazement - and it probably won't be the last. From anthropomorphic carvings to master-class rigging it is always a joy to read your posts. Pretty fancy Stephan!
Thanks Paul, kind words. I just like to find new things to do and see if it is possible. Making these tacks is not hard to do. I will post soon the how to. But first thing tomorrow is go to the hospital for my left hand. And then I will be probably out of business for a few days. We will see.

Back