USS Constitution - Model Shipways

As it is today independence day in Belgium, I'have got some time to continue...
But, the stern fillers were much more time consuming then I thought....I started 3 times again and again....
And I hope Will with laugh with me: I glued finally the fillers in place in order to finish them later on during the planking....
Almost impossible to shape them without glueing them onto the Hull.

And, I started with placing the fillers between the Bulkheads....time consuming buth offers the advantage that I wil have more space to add glue for fixing the strips and also strengths the Hull...

start-filler.jpg

difficult.jpg

Bow framing and Bow rail

Wow, difficult and precision absolute necessary!!!!!
You have to make yourself the port frames, supports etc...
It is really necessary to respect the dimensions indicated on the plans. Take for example the part for the "knighthead, gunports and head access frames".
In the first attempt I had cut the notches for the port frames too deep: don't forget that this immediately affects the curvature of the hull planking....
So I remade the bow rails three times and a good advice: put the cut out pieces on the plans : see photo bow-1!
It took me a whole day to install with the greatest precision I'm able to do.....

bow-1.jpg

bow2.jpg

Bow3.jpg

Bow4.jpg

Bow-6.jpg

Bow framing and Bow rail

It is really necessary to respect the dimensions indicated on the plans. Take for example the part for the "knighthead, gunports and head access frames".
In the first attempt I had cut the notches for the port frames too deep: don't forget that this immediately affects the curvature of the hull planking....
So I remade the bow rails three times and a good advice: put the cut out pieces on the plans : see photo bow-1!
It took me a whole day to install with the greatest precision I'm able to do.....

View attachment 386408

View attachment 386409

View attachment 386410

View attachment 386411

View attachment 386412
Good afternoon Marc. All looking spot on. Cheers Grant

thanks Marc,
Much appreciate the tips and explanations. I need to be persistent, patient and accepting of do-overs. I'm getting there. I guess it all comes with the territory for sure!
VR,

Bow framing and Bow rail

View attachment 386408

View attachment 386409

View attachment 386410

View attachment 386411

View attachment 386412
Hi good job with the framing. I've just completed this part on my Constitution it's very challenging to get right, I'll post some photos soon.
Tony

There is something I have to tell you!

When I opened the kit I found that 2 plates were broken in the middle. I sent an email to Modelexpo and immediately received an answer that they send the replacements to Europe-Belgium, free of charge!

A few days ago I did indeed receive the 2 parts.
Well, I can only say great!
That's service!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I don't know if the companies here in Europe would do the same?

Parts.jpg

Another topic is struggled with:
During the assembling of the stern, I noticed that the Stern FRAMES (Laser Cut) reached 1/8" above the SPAR DECK...
I thought a made a mistake, eg the dimension of the Counter Block wrong?
After carefully verifying: nothing wrong with the counter block....
I would like to give some advice from my own experience: take a look at Tony H's blog...
He had seen this and anticipated this with a brilliant idea! Great Tony!

So, I'm following Tony's idea: think out of the box.
So I modified the stern en made myself 2 blocks, inserted between the counter block and the stern frames:

2 blocks that fit under the stern, according to the same dimensions as the "Knuckles" of the stern frames:
2advantages :
more surface to apply glue when placing the planking
and immediately the lower part of the frames of the ports...
Good idea?

additionally I continue with fitting BALSA wood between the Bulkheads:
again more space for adding glue during the planking....
It offers also more rigide hull.

PS
Hope my English is ok....;)

Stern1.jpg

Stern2.jpg

Hull-balsa.jpg

I once ordered parts from South Africa and they sent them via air that changed planes in Dubai and their customs wanted $280.00 US to release the parts. I told them to keep them that's more than the cost.:confused::confused::confused:ROTF

This hobby can be very costly at times. It is more economical to build the models from scratch.

Another topic is struggled with:
During the assembling of the stern, I noticed that the Stern FRAMES (Laser Cut) reached 1/8" above the SPAR DECK...
I thought a made a mistake, eg the dimension of the Counter Block wrong?
After carefully verifying: nothing wrong with the counter block....
I would like to give some advice from my own experience: take a look at Tony H's blog...
He had seen this and anticipated this with a brilliant idea! Great Tony!

So, I'm following Tony's idea: think out of the box.
So I modified the stern en made myself 2 blocks, inserted between the counter block and the stern frames:

2 blocks that fit under the stern, according to the same dimensions as the "Knuckles" of the stern frames:
2advantages :
more surface to apply glue when placing the planking
and immediately the lower part of the frames of the ports...
Good idea?

additionally I continue with fitting BALSA wood between the Bulkheads:
again more space for adding glue during the planking....
It offers also more rigide hull.

PS
Hope my English is ok....;)

View attachment 386793

View attachment 386794

View attachment 386795
Hi your progress is amazing it took me a week to sort out the stern framing, I like the idea of adding blocks between the frames but hove decided not to at the moment but I may add some later I'll decide when I come to fair the frames. Modelexpo has a good reputation for customer service it's good to see you got your parts OK.
Tony.

PS

Do you know my secret tool?
As we have to provide a lot frames around ports etc....
It didn't seem accurate enough to me to provide each time the correct openings for the side ports...(0,55" x 0,43") to offer the exact opening for the laser cut ports.
so I carefully made a wooden port of 0.55 x 0.43", glued a stick to it and fit it in place and simply build the frame around it....see picture...
Accurate (fast) and I hope to be able to use it a lot...

secret2.jpg

secret-tool.jpg

secrettoolinpractice.jpg

PS

Do you know my secret tool?
As we have to provide a lot frames around ports etc....
It didn't seem accurate enough to me to provide each time the correct openings for the side ports...(0,55" x 0,43") to offer the exact opening for the laser cut ports.
so I carefully made a wooden port of 0.55 x 0.43", glued a stick to it and fit it in place and simply build the frame around it....see picture...
Accurate (fast) and I hope to be able to use it a lot...

View attachment 386909

View attachment 386910

View attachment 386911
Great idea with the gunport tool, I'll be using one when I do the main gunports. I made my stern port opening smaller than the drawing to give the lids more contact area (they will be closed).
If I could install the filler blocks as quick as you did I wouldn't think twice about it well done it looks the way to go.
Tony

First thing mark the frames with the plans. But read the planking tutorial in #13 before doing any cutting. Second in my opinion I would build up the entire skeleton and then start very very very slowly with fairing any frames using battens after adding filling blocks.
Fairings? Battens? can you pls elaborate? I'm a newby. Working on the masts of my first wood ship The Albatross from OcCre

Back